Hello again! It's been a while

lucas

Reaction score
Hey again!

Its Luke here. I haven't been on this site for ages and decide to pop in and see the changes. Some of you may remember me but most of you probably won't! Anyways Ill tell you all a little bit about my self for those of you who are interested.

My name is luke and I am profoundly deaf. I was fitted with a cochlear implant at the age of 10 and have been wearing it for 11 years now. I am now 21. Growing up through elementary school was a blast for me. My hearing never held me back. I was captan of the volleyball and basketball team and was an honour student. I won speech competitions as well as dance contest. I was on top of the world and was extremely popular.

Then high school came around and things got a little rough for me. The awkward years I guess. I lost most of my confidence in high school and shy'd away from people. I got into trouble with the law often, got high most of the day with a loyal group of friends(who were not heading down the best path) and fought depression. I lost the outgoing little boy in me, my true self. After graduating high school i ended up doing half a semester of college before dropping out. Then i did nothing. The only thing that kept me through those years was skateboarding with a few friends who shared the strong love for the sport.

2 years later my parents realized I needed help and sent me to florida to participate in a "soul searching" program. I was reluctant at first but went. It has been a year since i did the 2 week program and it changed my life. I was at rock bottom and the program boosted me skyward. I came back to canada, instantly ended up finding an amazing girlfriend( who i have been with for just over a year now) and began working. I worked construction for ten months until recently switching over to work in the business of insurance. I am loving it. For now i am just a receptionist but will soon be moving into management! I am extremely excited to be able to contribute to the business and make it grow!

One regret is that i haven't ever truly embraced my deafness. So I have decided i want to learn ASL and begin to embrace myself as well as the deaf/hard of hearing community and hopefully they/you to will embrace me with open arms. Oh yeah i also have diabetes aha. Yeah, kinda got the short end of the stick when I was born. Oh well, its not the hand that you're given but how you play your cards!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums, If you have any questions feel free to inbox me :)
Cheers, Luke

Last edited:
Hello again, Luke! I am glad to hear things are going better for you.

Welcome! I remmy you....Why not look into majoring in business at Gally or NTID? That would totally help you become fluent in ASL!

Hey Luke I remember you from before-
glad things are looking up!

Welcome! I remmy you....Why not look into majoring in business at Gally or NTID? That would totally help you become fluent in ASL!

While that would definitely help me become fluent in ASL quickly I have to ask myself, would that be the best place to go to school.On one side, I would meet tons of other hard of hearing/deaf people and become fluent in ASL and quite possibly feel right at home but on the other side would those schools prepare me for business in the world where the realities are harsh. Would making friends in another country for four to five years benefit my social wellbeing in the long run? Where would i be more likely to make successful business connections that would best benefit me in my country? These are all questions that i think about all the time. For now, i think i will stick to taking some weekly courses and heading to some group meet-ups in the city, But you never now what the future holds :)

While that would definitely help me become fluent in ASL quickly I have to ask myself, would that be the best place to go to school.On one side, I would meet tons of other hard of hearing/deaf people and become fluent in ASL and quite possibly feel right at home but on the other side would those schools prepare me for business in the world where the realities are harsh. Would making friends in another country for four to five years benefit my social wellbeing in the long run? Where would i be more likely to make successful business connections that would best benefit me in my country? These are all questions that i think about all the time. For now, i think i will stick to taking some weekly courses and heading to some group meet-ups in the city, But you never now what the future holds :)

it would help you job wise b/c you could get connections with other dhh friendly employers.....it's very hard for a dhh person to find a competitive job unless they're on a Harvard level.....

Well I'm in the insurance business at the moment filling in for a secretary who is on a two week leave. I'm then going to bouncing sround the office soaking in information and then they want me to aquire my insurance license so I can actually begin to sell. Did it without a business degree! Pretty happy about that. So I already have a career starting so to speak. The two purpose's of school would be to A. learn a new field that I could go into if I decide to change careers and B. to make connections to people who may end up in higher end positions that I could work with in the future, perhaps doing insurance with their companies and such. Engineers , busines managers and things of that sort. All of these are just thoughts at the moment though

Back