Hearing person trying to understand

Perhaps you were granted better respect than I was. One vet even tried to make me feel like I was abusing him by not euthanizing him. What pets did you have? I know this might sound stupid, but was your vet young? The three I had issues with were all over 50 (as I might add am I). The one I have now is around 30.

Freshtodeaf: in what capacity?

Apparently the deafness in dogs is caused by a "white recessive gene" jrt, dalmations, samoyed, and pit bulls are known for it.

Perhaps you were granted better respect than I was. One vet even tried to make me feel like I was abusing him by not euthanizing him. What pets did you have? I know this might sound stupid, but was your vet young? The three I had issues with were all over 50 (as I might add am I). The one I have now is around 30.

My deaf pets: 2 cats

1 ferret

1 Lhasa Apso

1 Border Collie

Not always the same vet. The vet for the ferret was over 70 at the time I had the ferret, but he was the same vet for the border collie and at that time would have been in his forties. (during my childhood)

The cat vet I still have because the cat I have now is one of the two deaf cats I have had. I think the vet may be 45.

The Lhasa lived 16 years and went through three vets as we moved. They could be described as between 30 and 60.

You were very lucky I guess. I was very frustrated having a dog that I loved and no vet felt like he was worth the time of day. Though I suppose in the long run it brought me into a culture I would never have thought about before him.

You were very lucky I guess. I was very frustrated having a dog that I loved and no vet felt like he was worth the time of day. Though I suppose in the long run it brought me into a culture I would never have thought about before him.

I am not lucky. I am not a person who takes kindly to being pushed around, and it shows.

When my parents got the deaf border collie when I was a kid, I am pretty sure the vet could tell from their attitude with their deaf kid and deaf dog what would be his appropriate behaviour.

He was the same guy when as an adult my kids had a deaf ferret and he already knew me. Plus he loved ferrets. Quite a lot of ferrets are deaf too, by the way.

Hello Abby,

Your dog is really cute, I tried to adopt a deaf cat from Craigslist, but unfortunately the owner said that the deaf cat is trying out a new home to see if he can get along with a new family and a dog, and if it doesn't work out, she'll let me know, so we will see how it goes.

Anyways, welcome to Alldeaf and I hope you'll enjoy your stay :)

Back