Hearing person seeks assistance deciphering some sign language

thoughtpol

Reaction score
Hi all. I come here respectfully, after trying to figure out the answer to my question on my own online. I couldn't do it, so I figured the people of a community such as this one (alldeaf.com, i mean) might not mind helping me terribly.

A friend took the picture below and we wonder what kind of Sign it is. These are letters; they're each labeled (it says LOVE), and some (like the L) are recognizable as basically BANZSL, but the V in particular I can't find a parallel to in any Sign language (that I can find, that is). Is it an old form of Sign? Anyone have any clue?

lj2n.jpg

It look like BSL (British Sign Language). I don't know much on BSL. Only a few sign words. Someone will come up and see what you put in the photo. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. You should have gone to introduction forum. See you around here. :wave:

Thanks Bebonang! I agree parts of it are similar to BSL, but that V... that's not quite right. Hopefully someone has a lead!

Well, where in the world was the photo taken? And since that's a Sphinx behind it, it's definitely not some odd place where we couldn't figure it out.

I'm thinking maybe it says 'love' in 2-hand fingerspelling? I learned the 2 hand fingerspelling when I was in HS for fun with a friend and we did it so no other deaf knew what we were saying. But then again, it doesn't fit. So I don't know.

I'm wondering if someone found an incorrect fingerspelling font, used it to make a copy and then did some wood burning on that piece of wood.

Need assistance deciphering some sign language?

Please, please! nobody can deciphering some sign language, UNLESS it was done as coding for Spy vs Spy purpose!

SIgn language itself is A language period. It is not coding, it is not a "Secret" thingy for somebody to figure out. It is like trying to deciphering Spanish language, it is impossible to do so. In order to learn sign language is to learn the language itself. You need to study the language of Spanish to understand them right, same way with sign language. :)

Sign language used around the world is a language, not coding.

I think it is like that ASL love sign hearing people use hand photos for. The E in that one looks like #6 because they don't think the real "E" looks right.

Hi there :) I do BSL and I've never seen that sign for "v" before. I will ask at deaf club on wednesday though if it has been used.

Jules :)

well, any new developments? it kinda intrigued me. would be nice to know what was the meaning of this.

has anyone beside me seen the letters beside the signs - E, V and possibly an O ? does that mean anything?

Fuzzy

3 letters of that is BSL however the "v" isn't... Never seen it before. Perhaps older generation might know.

the o and e is part of the vowels signed on each tip of your fingers starting from the thumb for A, fore finger for E as shown in the picture, I - index finger etc

I thought it was BSL at first but the signing for the vowels and the "v" are strange. The sign for "v" is completely different to the "v" in BSL.

The letters are right there on the wood . I can't made out the first one but the second looks like a 'C' ' the third hand is a 'V' and the last one is 'E'
If you zoom in the photo you can see the letters over the hands .

I don't think that's a C. The first letter I can see is L. So I think the second letter is O. LOVE.

I don't think that's a C. The first letter I can see is L. So I think the second letter is O. LOVE.

I could not made out the second letter , but I bet it does say love. Can you the letter E and V caved into the wood ?

Back