Hearing person investigating deaf community mental health

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a student in a Clinical Psychology Master's program in Orlando, FL, currently in a multicultural counseling class. The class includes a diversity experience project where students are asked to incrementally gain exposure and experience with communities they have not previously encountered very often. Hopefully this thread can connect me with someone who is willing to help me with "Phase 2" of a 3-part plan to meet the goals of the project. The phases are (1) Observation/Research from outside the community, (2) Investigate at a closer distance, and (3) Immersive experience. I have already conducted research relevant to the project (that is, I did "Phase 1".

Now that we have that out of the way, would anyone here who is deaf or hard-of-hearing be interested in spending a few minutes (say, between 5 and 30 depending on your availability) chatting/messaging with me throughout today with your own experiences or thoughts regarding experience of the community?

Of particular interest are mental health issues/needs, also for those who are older I am curious about how social networking may have influenced a few things for you... but the conversation does not need to be limited to those subjects.

I read the post addressed to those performing surveys/interviews and stuff like this. Whatever participation you can provide is much appreciated. I am not seeking generic research information, more like trying to learn in the manner of a quality 1:1 conversation. Focused on your population because I have limited experiential knowledge yet the community interests me for a number of reasons...

Nonetheless, I also understand that if you're going to invest real time and attention into it, that comes at the cost of doing something else-- so for someone with some credibility who is willing to devote a good 20-30 minutes to a live conversation at a mutually workable time today, I am not above sending a $5 Amazon gift card your way to say thank you! :)

Thanks in advance to all who contribute and kindest regards!

I think hearing people are trying to drive deaf and hoh people :crazy: with all their surveys and interviews! I feel you should investigate why hearing people are so obsessive about deaf and hoh people . I really would love to know this .
A lot of school require interviews with people with hearing loss, and students are too lazy to actually go into the community and reach out to people. They think they can just get someone to do their homework for them.

I think hearing people are trying to drive deaf and hoh people :crazy: with all their surveys and interviews! I feel you should investigate why hearing people are so obsessive about deaf and hoh people . I really would love to know this .

True. I have wondered this myself.

A lot of school require interviews with people with hearing loss, and students are too lazy to actually go into the community and reach out to people. They think they can just get someone to do their homework for them.
We had so many people doing this that I think there should a fee for doing someone homework , maybe they could our housework ! LOL!

Been there to help more than once. I am finished.

So... my niece who happens to be a Dean's List & President's List member for 3 years running (and I am almost certain this year too) is lazy. I doubt she "thinks" she can get someone else to do her homework whatever the subject. She had the same assignment- I don't remember which year but she did ask me for my insights as a deaf person. I was more than happy to give it to her. What she did with my information/narrative I don't know- that's on her but I know for a fact that she would put as much work into it as anything else. As far as I know she still has the narrative and has gone over it.

As a side note- she works at a coffee shop (Starbuck-esque) and a deaf man with a CI comes in regularly- and also knows sign. She has interacted with him often.

So.. no not all students are lazy.

And no.. it's not just hearing people "driving away" deaf/HOH people. Other deaf/HOH people are doing the exact same thing here.

So... my niece who happens to be a Dean's List & President's List member for 3 years running (and I am almost certain this year too) is lazy. I doubt she "thinks" she can get someone else to do her homework whatever the subject. She had the same assignment- I don't remember which year but she did ask me for my insights as a deaf person. I was more than happy to give it to her. What she did with my information/narrative I don't know- that's on her but I know for a fact that she would put as much work into it as anything else. As far as I know she still has the narrative and has gone over it.

As a side note- she works at a coffee shop (Starbuck-esque) and a deaf man with a CI comes in regularly- and also knows sign. She has interacted with him often.

So.. no not all students are lazy.

And no.. it's not just hearing people "driving away" deaf/HOH people. Other deaf/HOH people are doing the exact same thing here.
The reason students are given this assignment is to get them out of their comfort zone and to interact with Deaf people. When someone doesn't want to do this, and instead posts their questions on a messageboard, yes, it is lazy and defeats the purpose of the assignment.

I wasn't saying that all students were lazy. I was saying that those who come to this website and expect people to answer their questions are lazy.

The reason students are given this assignment is to get them out of their comfort zone and to interact with Deaf people. When someone doesn't want to do this, and instead posts their questions on a messageboard, yes, it is lazy and defeats the purpose of the assignment.

I wonder how it's worded when they are given this assignment though. For most I do wonder if it does occur to them to go TO the community if they can find one where they are and I wonder if in many places like smaller towns there isn't a deaf community. Bigger cities of course (like USC) would have some sort of community.

With my niece's if I recall it was a generalized class focused on many communication disorders not just deafness- with hers she mentioned that they were to talk to someone who experienced/experiences a communication disorder (Aphasia, APD, deafness and so on). So in a sense with her assignment, it was okay to speak to an individual.

I do agree.. I see it all the time on the coding boards people wanting help. I give some the benefit of a doubt-to some... maybe they did try on their own to solve their problem before hopping online and asking others for help. Maybe they figured (at least here) it's just one way to find information. After all many of the kids in college now have grown up with digital information so it's old hat.

In the end.. agree to disagree (partially ;) )

5 dollars??? Haha that is nothing. I would prefer $20 or more.

Deaf people are just like anyone else nothing wrong with us .. silly stuff wow a mess ..we have a culture just like anyone else who has Heritage .. smh

Why do they think deaf/Deaf/HOH are mental? Hearies are more mental than anything...
We just cant hear as well or not at all, has nothing to do with mentality other than getting fed up with crap like this daily.

I think you are being unfair, WDYS.
Do you disagree that deaf and H-o-H never ever have mental issues? Not one member of this forum ever suffered or suffers from depression, anxiety, or other such disorders?
And do you disagree that sometimes a lot of those are caused by being exavtly by interacting with a hearing people, anmely - family, friends, strangers?

Fuzzy

I'm not entirely sure how I want to reply after reading this thread. :( It was a bit disheartening. Such negativity. This is one reason I was afraid to sign up anyplace and ask for ANYTHING, however small.

I tried to look up deaf activities in my area, but I live in a VERY small town and events are outside of town (but I'm still looking into it). I can't afford to go driving about, even when I have to. Sometimes it's not an option even to get groceries, "gotta save gas". Then there's the wear and tear on the car that we can't afford to get fixed even for what's already wrong with it. Out of town is REALLY not possible. Not everyone has options readily available to them when they want to learn about ASL or the community, whether it's as a student or they really just want to learn.

Well, the way people replied to this thread should be considered an "experience" in how deaf/HoH act. Every community has good and bad people (not specifically talking about this site, or anyplace. Literally, I mean everywhere), some good people who make bad decisions or have bad days. It doesn't mean they're terrible. Don't give up! :D

I'm so glad to see that there are open minded people here. :) <3

If you are discouraged so easily I'd tell you stop right now, don't bother.
Nobody want to listen to whiners.
You either are up to par or not. Grow a pair.

Fuzzy

I'm hearing and I could understand why you say this, but wouldn't it be sort of a break through for hearing people to understand Deafness, Deaf culture and the world they live in so that hearing people don't continue being ignorant about the achievements and maybe even open up opportunities for Deaf people to live more comfortable and less "alien" lives from the hearing world? I think so. I would encourage hearing people to understand Deaf people and their culture to solely improve the lives and end audism. Wouldn't you agree?

Back