Hearing people's view of CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rivenoak, I have a lot of experience in real life with the Deaf/HOH community. I don't need to be educated. I have 4 degrees, including a doctorate and post-doctorate degree. Notice how well I write? Editor on the Law Review. Cut the patronizing act. It makes you look ignorant.

I'm confused- did I miss a post? I didn't see anything from RivenOak that was patronizing. What are you referring to?

Csign, I'm reading between the lines here. Maybe I'm off base but this poster indicates that people on AD are different than the "average" Deaf person in real life. I'm objecting to that. Perhaps the poster can clarify his/her thoughts. The writing is hard for me to follow.

Holy Crap with this thread!! I just cannot believe everything I have read. I Just reading and reading even though it doesn't really pertain to me. This is----just------Lord, I can't say!!!!

I am not discussing the merits of knowing sign but if she is having a spoken conversation in Dutch with a person who only speaks Dutch and they say a word she hears but does not understand, how will knowing sign "fill in the blank"? That person cannot explain it to her in sign as they do not know sign. She cannot ask the person in sign to explain the meaning of the word for again, that person does not know sign. So again, how will knowing sign "fill in the blanks" of this conversation?

If Lotte's Dutch friends do not know sign, then you're right, they can't fill in the blanks. It was asked by others here why Lotte isn't part of a Deaf community who knows sign and she could learn sign as well. There's also the idea of home use-only sign if Lotte can't be in a Deaf environment. When I was mainstreamed in my early years, none of my classmates signed. Not until I got to 7th grade. But my parents and sister signed with me so I understood everything. So, for home life, I missed out on nothing.

Rick, I'm happy to hear your daughter is at RIT. It's an outstanding school. I'm an RIT alumni myself. I found the deaf services there to be quite exceptional. The Deaf community there is wonderful as well.

Holy Crap with this thread!! I just cannot believe everything I have read. I Just reading and reading even though it doesn't really pertain to me. This is----just------Lord, I can't say!!!!

Please say..

If Lotte's Dutch friends do not know sign, then you're right, they can't fill in the blanks. It was asked by others here why Lotte isn't part of a Deaf community who knows sign and she could learn sign as well. There's also the idea of home use-only sign if Lotte can't be in a Deaf environment. When I was mainstreamed in my early years, none of my classmates signed. Not until I got to 7th grade. But my parents and sister signed with me so I understood everything. So, for home life, I missed out on nothing.
Let me be clear.
Lotte doesn't need sign to understand. Anything that is not understood can be repeated. Like with any other child.

When someone here says.. "but she doesn't understand everything" I can only agree. But that's the case with everyone.
Hearing people will say.. "Huh.. what" and we will repeat the message.
Why wouldn't I do that for Lotte?.

And.. how do we fill in the signs when she's on the phone?

Let me be clear.
Lotte doesn't need sign to understand. Anything that is not understood can be repeated. Like with any other child.

When someone here says.. "but she doesn't understand everything" I can only agree. But that's the case with everyone.

And.. how do we fill in the signs when she's on the phone?

okie dokie.

Very, very insulting..

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of, "just wait and see" comments or "your kid isn't being honest with you". It's actually very cruel and often times not actually relevant to the situation at hand.

I always find it somewhat amusing that some posters presume to know what's going on inside a complete strangers head or home. I'd venture to guess that a complete stranger isn't quite as informed about a person they've never met in comparison to the parent of that individual.

Just my perspective...

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of, "just wait and see" comments or "your kid isn't being honest with you". It's actually very cruel and often times not actually relevant to the situation at hand.

I always find it somewhat amusing that some posters presume to know what's going on inside a complete strangers head or home. I'd venture to guess that a complete stranger isn't quite as informed about a person they've never met in comparison to the parent of that individual.

Just my perspective...

ever considered our perspective as deaf children of hearing parents?

Please say..

I refuse to get sucked into this. That's why I said I can't say. If I said what I wanted, I would for sure get banned and since I have never been banned, I don't want to break that record for myself. I have stated my opinions here and there on AD.

In some families, honesty is expected and revered... Just sayin...

ever considered our perspective as deaf children of hearing parents?

Most certainly... I've also considered that not all experiences are the same... There are always extenuating circumstances.

In some families, honesty is expected and revered... Just sayin...

don't be naive.

what can we do if our parents can't understand? it's just much simpler with "mommy. daddy. I love you" rather than telling them what they did was wrong. why make our parents feel a regret for life?

have you no mercy?

Last edited:
Most certainly... I've also considered that not all experiences are the same... There are always extenuating circumstances.

on the contrary..... all experiences lead to SAME conclusion. the only extenuating circumstance is... hard of hearing (nowhere close to deaf) or late deaf at much later age.

Let me be clear.

Do you ever get the sense that she understands less than she tells you? How do you deal with that in that case?

I refuse to get sucked into this. That's why I said I can't say. If I said what I wanted, I would for sure get banned and since I have never been banned, I don't want to break that record for myself. I have stated my opinions here and there on AD.
"Can't be said.." really....

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I lack a particular functioning gene, protein or enzyme that prevents me from perceiving sound. It doesn't matter how much you increase the volume, I cannot perceive the sound. It is physically impossible. When someone shouts at me, it makes that person look like an idiot and annoys me. I have HAs but they don't make me hearing. The HAs are only boosting the range of sounds that I can still hear in. I'm still missing a lot of sounds. Why is that so hard to understand and accept? I'm glad that this happened as an adult when I can advocate for myself. This is why Deaf people advocate for deaf kids. Personally, I believe that some hearing people value hearing so much that they cannot conceive of living without it. That gets projected onto kids and the kidsschool grow upup feel less than. I've talked with a lot old people who have regrets about choices they made during their lives. I have a feeling that regrets will exist for anyone who breaks through his/her denial. Some people never break through their denial so those people will die leaving behind unresolved issues with loved ones. It's better to have the courage to leave no unfinished business behind. That's my goal.

Do you ever get the sense that she understands less than she tells you? How do you deal with that in that case?
Absolutely.. so does my daughter that was born hearing..
And with both we say: if you don't understand what's said.. ask again...
And Lotte is good with that..

So.. what's wrong with asking someone.. "please can you repeat that.??" I do it as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back