Hearing people suck (well not really)

burrito said:
I know what you mean. My wife treats me like that. She hates repeating herself. I am not deaf, just hard of hearing. I probably should get hearing aids, but it doesn't really bother me that much. My wife treats me like an idiot. Why can't she just look at me when she talks? She is all pissed if she says something in the next room and I don't hear it. She stomps into the room I am in and gets all huffy and says, "Didn't yo hear ME!?" I'm saying like a dimbass, "Uhhh . . . you said something?" Fuck that.
That's sad how you put up with her! :cold:

burrito said:
I know what you mean. My wife treats me like that. She hates repeating herself. I am not deaf, just hard of hearing. I probably should get hearing aids, but it doesn't really bother me that much. My wife treats me like an idiot. Why can't she just look at me when she talks? She is all pissed if she says something in the next room and I don't hear it. She stomps into the room I am in and gets all huffy and says, "Didn't yo hear ME!?" I'm saying like a dimbass, "Uhhh . . . you said something?" Fuck that.

My wife is used to it :D She is getting HH too, but refuses to admit it. We yell "YOUU!" when we are in different parts of the house, to get each others attention (I take my hearing aids and shoes off as soon as I get home ;) )

I keep threatening to buy the T shirt

"MY WIFE SAYS I NEVER LISTEN TO HER"
(at least, I *think* that's what she said!)

:D

When I used to work in retail, my coworkers would joke with me about being hard of hearing, but I never remembered any customers being nasty about it. I *did* have to hand the phone to someone else working if I couldn't understand, and had people hang up on me over that. :p I got the boss to install a regular phone in addition to the cordless one, because the cordless one reacted with my hearing aids.

I'm in real estate now, and had a bad time finding a phone that would cause loud static in my hearing aids. I keep the phone at max volume, but sometimes hear better (when the other person is too loud) by taking the hearing aid out :confused:

i remember when a customer tried to talk with me behind my back, i wasnt aware and i was busy stocking up items, then she slammed her palm on my back real hard. i startled and told her excuse me im deaf! i didnt think she understood me but she looked furious and left. so moment later, my co-worker who worked as cashier said that woman asked him about me if i was really deaf. he said yeah, she said oh no tell her im really sorry about hitting her, i didnt know that blah blah blah. god, shes so stupid. i couldnt do such thing like that, hitting some stranger's back so hard.

other customer tried to speak with me, i couldnt understand her. she was like, do you speak spanish? i looked right at her, smiled, said no. she walked away then. i laughed so hard, i told my co workers about it. i hardly looked like spanish! similar thing happened when a man asked me something he looked for, i couldnt really understand him, asked to repeat, then he looked confused and asked where are you from? i said, here. then he walked away. i guess my speech has some kind of sound like accent?

LOL E, I don't believe it was from your voice , it just the customer has no patient! I have one story to tell here.....

I just came back from NC, I was working at a rib cook-off and had my own lemonade shake-up booth which I work by myself and one lady customer had ordered a large lemonade, I had to turn around to make the lemonade shake-up which takes me a few minutes to make and while I was making this , I notice quite a few people were looking at my booth, when I had turned back around to see this lady and I could see that she was soo very upset and yelling and telling me that she was trying to get my attention for the last 5 minutes and I did explain that I am deaf and she kept on yelling and screaming at me ....I feel that she didn't believe me or she was just angry over changing large to small :roll: which is the reason why she was trying to get my attention but she end up not getting anything because the owner at that cook-off thrown her out because she simply couldn't calm down over a small lemonade....Good Grief!

:werd:
i have been in these situations a lot ..
a couple of weeks ago, at an event, this lady who must have been in her 60s came up to me.. she asked me something, I don't know what, and kept turning her head away from me.. it was noisy, so no chance at all that I could hear anything she said.. I said, "sorry, but I can't hear you," and she continued to talk and move her head and look around etc.. I pulled my hair back and showed her my (blue :thumb: ) hearing aids, and said, "I'm deaf, can you please look at me when you are talking, I can't tell what you are saying.." She looked upset and I lipread "oh! I see!" she stormed away without letting me finish my sentence.. and acted as though I never existed.
really stupid and ignorant of her!!!!!!!!! :shock: I was so mad :twisted:

I hate it when people who can hear decide that it is a waste of time to try communicating with us. we are not stupid (well, not all of us ;) ) .. I think i'll make it a habit to have a pen and paper with me all the time. if this happens one more time I won't let the person get away! I'll make them communicate with me .. muahhahahaha ;)

Yeah I know how u feel.. Its the same thing with my family. My mom is the worst. She never make eye contact when we both talk to each other. I keep telling her that she need to look at me when I talk to her. because I feel like IM being ignored. even she get what I said wrong. She keep getting mad at me cuz she think Im yelling at her, being loud on purpose. I havent wore my hearing aid in abt a year. so I cant really tell if Im loud or not... When I wear hearing aid, I can tell if Im loud or not. She doesnt seem to understand.. :-( where u from?? age? male or female??

Whats the printed page with red light??? for your movie. I never heard of it. But I get so sick of people at regal cinemas, forcing me to wear headphone to the movie, thinking that would help me to understand movies. I was like, HELLO!? Im deaf. it mean I can't hear squat. the voices I hear is all distorted to me. one time I got so mad, I told them, you keep forcing me to wear this, I consult with lawyer and sue you. Because I have the right not to wear this. I do not want to take it in with me and hand it back to u everytime I go to movie and leaves. eventually they shut up and didnt make deaf people to wear them. I got a lot lot of free movies, cuz I complain to vice president of Regal about their service. 4-5 free movies ticket each time I complain. lol. I'm still trying to get cinemas to make some more changes, to improve their service to deaf people. :)

Malfoyish said:
They stuck me on the sales floor at Toys R Us last Halloween...I had finished my usual tasks and they were short handed in the Halloween costume section. The manager asked me to help sort the costumes, hang them up, match the stray masks to the appropriate cloths...

Little did I know that a customer was trying to get my attention from across the aisle. She was basically asking questions to the back of my head. I guess my not hearing her pissed her off - because then she got into my face and said, "Excuse me? Do you speak English?"

I was dumbfounded. Pissed off, too. I mean, how nasty can people be? Yeah, I work there and yes, it's my job to help customers, but come on, how many retail store employees purposely ignore customers? But anyways...as pissed as I was, I replied, "Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO. Is there something I could possibly assist you with?"

"Do you have any Batman costumes?" She asks. She did have a slight bit of an attitude, too.

"Well, I'm not sure." I replied, "But there's a nice big pile of mis-matched costumes in that corner behind you. You're more than welcome to dig through there and see what you come up with." (My way of saying :madfawk: bitch!)

Can't let these things get you down...those times that don't kill us only make us stronger. :)

Malfoyish

LMAO, that what I'd do...U go, girl! :giggle: I had that experience before. but working in Papa Murphy's and being delivery driver at Papa John's... Ever since, I've been trying to avoid working in resturant/retail stores. I dont like dealing with rude people. cuz I tend to run my mouth off b4 thinking twice. that has gotten me in trouble one too many times. hehe... Lately, job in Oregon hasnt been good. so Im thinking of getting job somewhere. quick. dont care where as long I earn me some moolah. :)

~Kiz

ohhh i never forgot this ....... I worked at assembly factory.... I went to the bathroom in upper floor... i am done with the bathroom... open the door .. saw whole of the people are gone and noone is there... i got puzzled and walk downstair and walk flat floor and saw a lady ran and going to get out the room and i yelled "hey"... a lady said " it is fire alarm" oh i was hell pissed offfff. noone didnt contact me in bathroom ... it make me hot pissed off... and i opened front the door.... everyone stared at me... i yelled " fuck fuck i cant hear the fire alarm front of peoples... my supervisor said "nothing one word" he walked and contact on me and what is going on? i explained to him that i was in bathroom and noone contact me in bathroom fuck (I yelled a bad words with voice angry ) one lady walked and pat my shoulder and she said "may i help you ?" I said "fuck you i dont need to help you again and I am deaf and if happened to me ... i probably dead in fire in building"... she said nothing one word... i turn around and walked away from my supervisor and a lady who work at office..... i drove away from the building .... arrived home then next day, i went to work and everyone said "nothing a word" and the supervisor told everyone in meeting and explain to everyone when everyone see me walk upper in bathroom and contact me... and the union told owner about it and now the building already put deaf flash alarm each bathrooms and each room in assembly factory and lunch room..... I thought i should fired a job because i drove away from the work without the superivisor know it but the supervisor told me he dont have to write up horrrayyyyy now everyone keep eyes on me and another deaf peoples.......

number two last summer my two daughters and i went to drive thru orders for my kids dinner and me .... a guy who work on cashier in drive thru.... i talked on machine.... he kept say what ? i use a loud voice and i said number 3 with large diet coke , blah blah then he said please pull over and stop the window i said what is jerk? i replace say again.... he said keep what ?? MY OLDER daughter told a guy that my mom is deaf and speak real good.... he said wow with his hand make fun of me ... so i yelled " manager" then the manager heard and called his name... he walk and may i help ? my daughter got embrassment and wont see his face... i said i told a guy (casheir ) for order some but he make fun of sign language ... a manager asked guy did you sign langauge front of me ? he said no i said hey look at my daugther heard it and ask my daughter and manager asked my daughter did a guy make fun of the sign langauge hands ? my daugther said YES HE DID and it is not nice to make fun of my mother .... a manager told a guy 'FIRED HIS JOB" AND A MANAGER TOLD ME NO CHARGER FOR WHOLE MEAL FOR EACH TWO DAUGHTERS AND ME..... I AM WINNER !

My God, Kristy!! that was really horrendous experience you had in the bathroom when the fire alarm went off!! you could have died in there ! I cant believe people would not take an effort to contact you that there is a fire alarm on! They should put fire alarm flashers in every room in that building! If they refuse, then you should contact ADA people! Thats a serious thing, really! Yesterday we had a severe weather report (high winds and hail) and my supervisor said if it does happen, we will alert you,..thats what your supervisor and co workers should do, alert you to anything like that! Looks like they learned their lesson so maybe from now on, they will alert you to stuff like that!
Oh yeah, it happens to alot of deaf people at drive thrus thats why i dont use drive thru...they can be a pain in the azz and i dont want to mess with the stupid ignorant people anyways..its strange that when i order something inside, they dont have problem understanding me! I wonder...its possible that these order machines may make our voices sound distorted or something? and makes it harder for the employees to understand the deaf when they speak into it? ...mm thats a thought..i might ask them inside if those machine makes people's voices sound different than normal...what do you think Alldeaf?..

Back