Hearing parents with deaf child

Heather Rodriguez

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a mother of two daughters. Our oldest is 5 years old implanted with a cochlear at the age of 19 months.
I'm new to the community and sometimes its a struggle to relate to her. shes very energetic, loves making new friends, loves music and dancing.
Her sister is 4 and hearing.

Our family is all hearing, and she was the one who was meant to be different and do great things. were trying to get her more active with other kids besides school. I'm not sure how to get her going into things. I have tons of concerns.

for example, we want to enroll her into gymnastics but not sure how we should continue with it. Would it be better to have her do lessons with or without her implant. should I be around to help her communicate with the instructor or should I just throw her in there and let her figure it out on her own??

things like that have me concerned. We do the best we can with what we have. Shes also very rough on her implant equipment such as the cords and wires and things like that. so sometimes she has to go without her implant if she breaks them.

any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. I don't know many people who are deaf or have communication with other deaf people to show my daughter that there are others like her and who can relate to her. I mostly want my daughter to meet deaf people and see if she wants to be completely signing or verbal.

She loves to talk ill give her that lol.

Welcome!!! Where are you located? I'm SO stoked you want to add ASL to see if it will help your kid!! Contact your state's Deaf School. Maybe if it's close enough she could attend to learn ASL, get to know other dhh kids etc. There may be regional dhh programs closer to you as well. She's at the perfect age...young enough so she can learn ASL easily and it will add enourmously to her social experience/fitting in etc. Social issues are BEYOND common for dhh kids! Too bad she's still kind of young as summer camp would be AMAZING for her but maybe there's a day camp and of course she can go when she's old enough! Join American Society For Deaf Children: http://deafchildren.org/

Welcome :)
The best advice I can give is the same with any child. Trial and error. Put her in gymnastics and see what helps her.

Hello! I'm HoH. I would recommend ASL classes for your daughter. I have a BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid) and a BTE (behind the ear) hearing aid and am currently in ASL classes. I used signed English before in addition to my hearing aid and FM systems, but I wish I had learned ASL properly as a child.

I was a competitive athlete. I have a friend who is completely Deaf and was a competitive gymnast. Let her try and see how she likes it!

Hello! I can relate. I also am a mother of two daughters, one deaf. It’s my newborn who has the hearing loss so i don’t have much experience with this yet. Looking to learn from those with more knowledge and experience than me. I also want to make sure my daughter has all the opportunities in the world. In my opinion You should definitely give your daughter the gymnastic classes - the logistics will work out one way or another and she will have a great time learning something new. It would be a great way to meet new people and feel like part of a team.

When it comes to sport you need to check with CI team as to whats safe. I recommend the coach using her FM so she can hear the instructions clearer.

In gymnastics, wouldn't the processor fly off. I mean you really get going in those tumbles.

My friend had visual clues for gymnastics, a flashing light instead of a buzzer, someone holding up a flag when she could vault. She became really competitive. She didn't have a CI but when she was younger and first started she had hearing aids. She'd take them off for gym. She told me she thinks she got ass far as she did because she could focus so well in gym not hearing anyone lol! That and she's like 5 feet tall. When she was younger she followed the other girls and couches visually. The coach made sure to use visual cues to explain and show her the drill before they did it. As she got older, her competitive coach learned some sign. She was close to being elite after level 10 but her mom couldn't afford it.

I have a deaf daughter, too, but she's much younger, 18 months. She was implanted at 12 and 13 months. I, too, worry all the time about what I am or am not doing right by her. I let her lead the way when it comes to speaking or signing. Her signing is taking off and she's so interested in it, its amazing to watch. And then other times, she repeats the ling 6 sounds and loves to "talk". I agree with PPs, just let her lead the way. If she wears her implants, make sure to use hair clips or tupee tape, so that the processors don't go flying. I would also talk to the CI team to ensure its not a risk. She may decide she likes to be deaf and just concentrate visually on everything, or she may want the social aspect of hearing her teammates and coaches, since she's still so young. And yes, look into a deaf school in your area. My daughter will start preschool at our state school for the Deaf. We belong to a Parents of Preschoolers group, all hearing parents of deaf/HoH kiddos. Its amazing! You are not alone! If you use Facebook, search for groups. I'm apart of so many, Parents of CI Kids who Sign, Parents of CI Kids, Parents of Children with Cochlear Implants, Parents of Cochlear Kids :), the list goes on and on!

I have a deaf daughter, too, but she's much younger, 18 months. She was implanted at 12 and 13 months. I, too, worry all the time about what I am or am not doing right by her. I let her lead the way when it comes to speaking or signing. Her signing is taking off and she's so interested in it, its amazing to watch. And then other times, she repeats the ling 6 sounds and loves to "talk". I agree with PPs, just let her lead the way. If she wears her implants, make sure to use hair clips or tupee tape, so that the processors don't go flying. I would also talk to the CI team to ensure its not a risk. She may decide she likes to be deaf and just concentrate visually on everything, or she may want the social aspect of hearing her teammates and coaches, since she's still so young. And yes, look into a deaf school in your area. My daughter will start preschool at our state school for the Deaf. We belong to a Parents of Preschoolers group, all hearing parents of deaf/HoH kiddos. Its amazing! You are not alone! If you use Facebook, search for groups. I'm apart of so many, Parents of CI Kids who Sign, Parents of CI Kids, Parents of Children with Cochlear Implants, Parents of Cochlear Kids :), the list goes on and on!
Are you Deaf/HoH as well?

Are you Deaf/HoH as well?

No, I'm not. I'm hearing, so is my entire family. My husband and I have taken ASL lessons and continue to study and practice. We definitely don't want her to feel alone or out of place. So whatever she decides for her future, we're going to support it.

Way to go!!! You've got the perfect attitude! Stoked and excited that you're doing everything!!!!!

No, I'm not. I'm hearing, so is my entire family. My husband and I have taken ASL lessons and continue to study and practice. We definitely don't want her to feel alone or out of place. So whatever she decides for her future, we're going to support it.
Excellent!!! My humble opinon is that it's OK for parents to go the HOH route (speech and aids/CI) BUT, if they do then the parents should meet their child half way and learn ASL for them. It's only fair.

Hello Heather! Welcome to all deaf! Thank you for sharing your concern with us. I hear you! You are not alone. I am myself deaf and have a 17 years old hearing son. I can understand your concern as you want your daughter to lead a normal life. Deaf people CAN do anything but they just cannot HEAR. That would be great to enroll your daughter into gymnastic! Give a try. That video of youtube about Aimee Walker Pond, a deaf gymnastic really impressed me! Thanks to Zephren!

Have you thought about checking out Dept of Deaf and Hard of Hearing resources? They have a deaf mentor program and also they have a family conference where you get to meet other parents with similar struggles with their deaf and hard of hearing children. Here is the link. http://wesp-dhh.wi.gov/outreach/requestservices/

Please browse this website. They also have parent support program. I am not sure if your state has it but it’s worth to check it out. Hope this helps.

God’s blessings

Excellent!!! My humble opinon is that it's OK for parents to go the HOH route (speech and aids/CI) BUT, if they do then the parents should meet their child half way and learn ASL for them. It's only fair.
I so agree. I was made HoH with hearing aids and a BAHA. I wish I had learned ASL as a child instead of signing systems, it was a different philosophy then. I think it's great to give children all the routes of communication possible!

BTW Aimee Walker Pond is amazing!!! Me and my Deaf gymnast friend are both from Western Colorado. She has met Aimee a bunch of times and she's her idol lol!

Back