hearing or deaf world

madhouse

Reaction score
do u get confused at times am deaf myself was never taught sign language i wear hearing aids and speak quite normal i was brought up in the hearing world apart from at school
do i class myself as deaf or hearing world?

do u get confused at times am deaf myself was never taught sign language i wear hearing aids and speak quite normal i was brought up in the hearing world apart from at school

Does it matter what world you're in?

I really don't give a toss.The thing that irritates me is when some people do a divide between deaf and hearing world as if there are two separate places.

We're in the same world, mixed with different people with diverse experiences.

The main thing that matters is yourself and the people that you care about as well as them caring about you.

Last edited:
It's doesn't matter if you're in deaf or hearing world. You can learn how to sign language if you want to. You're still deaf. By the way I am not social with deaf people for a while. I stayed away from gossip and stabbing back. I am not interest into drama. I am interesting into mature and open mind that all. If my deaf friends want to hang out with me. That's fine with me. I am usually hang out with hearing friends a lot. I am not part of Hearing World because I can't speak.

lol pinky u definatly speak ya mind like u said i havent mixed with other deaf people since i was at school am 32 now

Everyone bound to speak their mind all of time. I do and my family does.

I wouldn't worry about that too much dude, don't have to claim either as your own. Know who YOU are and want and then individualize and adapt to whoever you encounter hearing or deaf. "Be in the world, not of the world." If you feel like you want to form bonds with deaf individuals who share common interests I would look for local deaf gatherings or take ASL class in college which recommends and facilitates social communication as a teaching goal in the course. Not to mention all the great peoples here you can get to know and become friends with.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that would consider you hearing, a lot of narrow minded deaf and hearing both. However, you are not hearing. Anyone who wears a hearing aid is not hearing. Saying a hearing aid makes someone hearing is kind of like saying those devices that blow up text/words for the legally blind makes them eye sighted. Furthermore, deaf are always in the hearing world as 99.9% of the human population is hearing. We only exist in a deaf world when we separate ourselves from the hearing world.

Back