Hearing mom with deaf toddler, AB Canada

Ok, but that isn't accurate, at least where I am now.

Good to know. It's always interesting to learn of how things work in other areas/districts. The students you are referring to, can you describe their placement? Is it sort of split placement similar to what I described? Or are they fully mainstreamed with interpreters during the school day/lunch etc. to facilitate communication with teachers and peers? Or...???

Good to know. It's always interesting to learn of how things work in other areas/districts. The students you are referring to, can you describe their placement? Is it sort of split placement similar to what I described? Or are they fully mainstreamed with interpreters during the school day/lunch etc. to facilitate communication with teachers and peers? Or...???

Overview, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program, Suppport Services, Student and Family Services, School Programs, Des Moines Public Schools, Iowa

Here is a link. There are magnet schools in both elementary and upper levels, and kids are not fully mainstreamed.

No, I have known several sign only kids in the mainstream in dhh programs recently.

Why would you assume it is rare?

I'm familiar with deaf schools, not as much with deaf kids in the mainstream, so I deferred to deaf dyke and her assertion that it is rare in a regular classroom.

Overview, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program, Suppport Services, Student and Family Services, School Programs, Des Moines Public Schools, Iowa

Here is a link. There are magnet schools in both elementary and upper levels, and kids are not fully mainstreamed.

and Mantua elementary school in Fairfax county, VA. Lots of kids who are bilingual in ASL and English but have no speech skills.

I dont not like the term, "Sign-only" because it gives the wrong impression that the kids dont have access to English or any other languages. They do..but in a different mode.

and Mantua elementary school in Fairfax county, VA. Lots of kids who are bilingual in ASL and English but have no speech skills.

I dont not like the term, "Sign-only" because it gives the wrong impression that the kids dont have access to English or any other languages. They do..but in a different mode.

Yes, sorry, I was just using the previous poster's terminology. I should correct to say I know more that one mainstream student in dhh program with no speech skills.

I see many sign-only kids, sometimes Deaf of Deaf, but not always. Some wear aids, some don't. But they do have a full language in sign, so there's not an effort to develop a spoken language when sound is not accessible to them. But then maybe that's because I'm involved with a bi-bi school for the deaf. In the mainstream, I'd expect that would be rare, as you describe.

You answered your own question. I know two women my age who went to READS, who were voice off and unaided (very much like what you're saying the typical TLC student is ) but, I think that is b/c you are at a Deaf School that for whatever reason has a high percentage of VO students. You do see a lot of VO kids at Deaf Schools, but then again you do see kids across the communication spectrum. I think our resident TODs have said that they have started seeing kids who are quite oral....(and even oral transfers) I would say that most schools for the deaf have a good cross section of kids on the communication spectrum ranging from VO deaf, to oral transfers.
Overall, when you see dhh kids as a GROUP VO kids are kinda unusal/rare.
Not as rare as say kids who use Cued Speech, or augmentive and alternative communication....but overall they are kinda rare. That is what I meant.

How about voice off then? And yes, you see VO kids in all sorts of placements

How about voice off then? And yes, you see VO kids in all sorts of placements

What about bilingual kids who do not use speech to communicate using English. :)

If it is a "mainstream DHH program", it is likely that a portion of their day is in a specialized DHH placement.

I think Grendel's point is most students/individuals who may not be able or choose not to use their voice and use ASL as their primary mode of communication, are at a deaf school... or potentially in a magnet/regional program as somewhat described above.

Grendel can correct me if she meant something different.

I wasn't making that point, although I'd agree with you that seems likely.

I was only asserting that my experience differs from DD's: although she says VO students are rare, even at deaf schools, I have seen that at TLC a vast majority of the students primarily use ASL, and haven't found that to be rare at all. As DD pointed out, that may be unique to TLC, and my experience may not be an accurate reflection of what we'd find in most schools. :dunno:

I would, though, love to visit a school like Shel describes where large numbers of primarily-ASL-using deaf kids are mainstreamed into the regular classroom.

Really shel? Moderate with no speech skills? That's fairly uncommon. Are they mentally handicapped?
But yes, even mentally normal dhh kids can REALLY thrive with ASL....Like yeah, many kids can develop oral abilty, but it takes a lot of energy to do so.
Dhh kids should have the chance to develop oral skills, but it shouldn't be the be all and end all of the tools in their toolbox.[/QUO

Many! Moderate deafness with no speech skills! I have better speech skilsl than they do and they have better writing skills than I do cuz they were exposed to ASL since babies and had no language delays. I would rather have better writing skills than better speech skills!

It is very likely that those you are referring to have other things going on besides hearing loss that makes speech difficult.

It is very likely that those you are referring to have other things going on besides hearing loss that makes speech difficult.

They are people my age and older and are working, married, have homes, and children. They say that their dB levels are around 40 to 70 and they can hear pretty good but were unable to develop speech skills.

I am seeing the same in some of the children especially those with CIs. Some do develop speech skills, some do not.

Thats why the oral-approach is just so risky because we just never know.

I understand what you were saying now. You are referring to adults with little to no speech skills, adults who didn't have access to early intervention and probably diagnosed late. That's why children these days are so fortunate because they have access to early intervention which allows them access to the supports and services they need to develop appropriate language and speech skills (if they have sufficient residual hearing).

I understand what you were saying now. You are referring to adults with little to no speech skills, adults who didn't have access to early intervention and probably diagnosed late. That's why children these days are so fortunate because they have access to early intervention which allows them access to the supports and services they need to develop appropriate language and speech skills (if they have sufficient residual hearing).

Even now, with early intervention, the same thing is still happening. Many of the people and children I know had the services.

bTW...they did develp appropriate language skills..just in another language.

Even now, with early intervention, the same thing is still happening. Many of the people and children I know had the services.

bTW...they did develp appropriate language skills..just in another language.

I never said the people you are referring to didn't develop appropriate language skills.

If a child with a mild or moderate hearing loss doesnt develop speech skills, 9 out of 10 times it's a direct result of something totally unrelated to hearing loss.

I never said the people you are referring to didn't develop appropriate language skills.

If a child with a mild or moderate hearing loss doesnt develop speech skills, 9 out of 10 times it's a direct result of something totally unrelated to hearing loss.

A 50 db level is a moderate loss and it is not a guarantee that the person will develop speech skills.

As for mild, I know several and practically all of them have speech skills.

No, you didnt but ignorant poeple could take your comment ( That's why children these days are so fortunate because they have access to early intervention which allows them access to the supports and services they need to develop appropriate language and speech skills if they have sufficient residual hearing)at face value and take it literally like deaf people were unable to develop appropriate language skills.

I am very protective of my deaf friends who have no speech skills because they got discriminated even more than those who do. It makes me really sick.

Seems a little unwieldy..... How about NOS......not orally skilled?

Just trying to focus on what they can do instead of what they cant do. It makes it for a positive view instead of a negative one.

Um CSign, they've had EI for a VERY long time. This isn't 1985 you know........and we're talking about HOH kids...not deaf kids....

Back