Hearing Loss Scared!

Hex

Reaction score
I was born HOH but I still had a fair bit of hearing but over time it's gotten worse and I only have about a year I'm scared any thoughts thank you ahead of time

Nothing to be scared of, I lost mine gradually since birth, then rapidly after 2004 deaf by 2008, got implanted this past year and its wonderful. I got scared because of the sounds Ive never heard before... See a doc and join the cyborg world, unless youd rather be completely deaf

Maybe improve your ASL skills? It's good that you've got experiance with ASL.... It is scary losing hearing. One " good" thing about this is that at least, when you've maxed out on HAs, you can opt for CI. I know about the debate, but the CI is perfect for progressive losses!

Nothing to be scared of, I lost mine gradually since birth, then rapidly after 2004 deaf by 2008, got implanted this past year and its wonderful. I got scared because of the sounds Ive never heard before... See a doc and join the cyborg world, unless youd rather be completely deaf
I will be getting a new hearing aid that made for people with high frequency hearing lost , the hearing aid will made high frequency sounds into low frequency sounds
so I will be able to hear them . I will be hearing sounds I never really heard before and I am wondering how I will like this . I understand want you mean about hearing new
sounds.

Maybe improve your ASL skills? It's good that you've got experiance with ASL.... It is scary losing hearing. One " good" thing about this is that at least, when you've maxed out on HAs, you can opt for CI. I know about the debate, but the CI is perfect for progressive losses!
I'm sorry what's CI

Idk that's just what my audiologist told me she said a year at the rate of loss I have but idk

See post #4. As for having one year of hearing, no one can predict how long it will take to lose hearing.

So I wonder how you came up with that.
Botti, My audi at the time when I had HA told me after my 3rd pair they wont help me anymore and within 1 or 2 years I will be completely deaf... he was pretty much spot on, it was a "ski slope loss" and it was degrading fast. He told me my only option was CI and this was 6 years prior to me actually getting the CI, I actually wish I could have gone back in time and gotten them sooner, but glad I got them when I did for the new improved version N6. Even though they are "new" in a few years they will be the old and needing upgrades as with any product. Since my last couple mappings and tweekings, they are sounding great now, so its more Love than Hate in this love/hate relationship with CI.

As for wondering that some members have found a Cochlear Implant "working" for them?
In my case, worked right away. August 2007. I had Advanced Bionics=Harmony-then. I now have the Naiada 90.

No regrets for the decision taken to be "tested for the use of an Implant" .

I became bilateral DEAF in December 2006.

I was not a member of Alldeaf.com when the above transpired.

I am wary about the success or failure rate of the CI because all we have to rely on is the anecdotal.......the Federal agency normally tasked to keep tabs on products, does not do this for the cochlear implant so, of course, many of us are skeptical, opining that the failure rate of the cochlear implant is unacceptably high. Maybe even higher than normally(and legally???) allowed; and thus, it's proliferation because the money is just too good......

I was born HOH but I still had a fair bit of hearing but over time it's gotten worse and I only have about a year I'm scared any thoughts thank you ahead of time
I also was born hard of hearing, wore the body aid, bte's analog for years from the age of 11 til now... and I to worry like you but I do not know enough ASL to be proficient. I really understand how you feel~!

I also was born hard of hearing, wore the body aid, bte's analog for years from the age of 11 til now... and I to worry like you but I do not know enough ASL to be proficient. I really understand how you feel~!
Thank you I feel less alone I live in a small town so like no one uses ASL but I try to keep useing it any time I can

ASL will save your life and fear.
No offense to anyone, but I cannot sign/understand ASL if my life counted on it. I can do alot of signing, I am not perfect, but ASL is above my IQ level. I respect everyone that can grasp it. Peace.

EDIT: Hex, going deaf is not the end of the world. Look at everyone here at AD. We all have similar issues, yet living the good life.

Last edited:
Those body aids were pretty cool. I had one too. They reminded me of something out of the original Star Trek. :)

Back