Hearing Loss Scared!

Hex,

Since you know some ASL I am guessing you have some interactions with the Deaf community but perhaps building stronger ties would reduce your anxiety by attending some Deaf events in your area.

I see you are located in MA. I am not sure where you are but if you are near Boston, you might want to check out DEAF.Inc (http://www.deafinconline.org/). If you are available Friday and Saturday and able to get to Amherst MA, there is a free Deaf Studies Conference going on. They announced today that ~300 people are already signed up and registrations are still open. It might be a good thing to attend: http://tyler22k.wix.com/deafinitions#!schedule/c1p9k. I am in western MA and will be going.

No offense to anyone, but I cannot sign/understand ASL if my life counted on it. I can do alot of signing, I am not perfect, but ASL is above my IQ level. I respect everyone that can grasp it. Peace.

EDIT: Hex, going deaf is not the end of the world. Look at everyone here at AD. We all have similar issues, yet living the good life.
Good life? Where?
lol

Those body aids were pretty cool. I had one too. They reminded me of something out of the original Star Trek. :)
Cool??? I still have one with its original box, and that word has never crossed my mind in the same thought as the old Zenith.

I remember how glad to get the first bte, and I think that was about sixth grade.

Another thing they are bringing back from that era are glasses with hearing aids in the bows. I remember seeing older people wearing those when I was a kid.

Cool??? I still have one with its original box, and that word has never crossed my mind in the same thought as the old Zenith.

I remember how glad to get the first bte, and I think that was about sixth grade.

Another thing they are bringing back from that era are glasses with hearing aids in the bows. I remember seeing older people wearing those when I was a kid.
Yeah, I think they are cool. And I do not give a sh*t what others think. My first was a Zenith too and the body harness. I remember doing my paper route and upon returning home, my bte was missing. Mom had me backtrack my route and we found the Zenith smashed on the railroad tracks. Oops!

Were your earmolds glass? or some type of hard plastic? I remember that I always had bloody ears.

There is so many technologies today to help deaf and hoh people live an independent life and if a person doesn't like technologies a lot they can get a hearing dog . :)

Last edited:
Thank you all I feel much better I'm so glad I found alldeaf thank you all:)

Were your earmolds glass? or some type of hard plastic? I remember that I always had bloody ears.
Some plastic I'm sure, I don't remember ever seeing a glass earmolds.

I remember seeing older people wearing those when I was a kid.
I remember those glasses/HA combos. I think it would be a waste of $$, if the HA goes bad, you need new HA plus glasses. Or if glasses need replacing, you need new HA too. Sigghs, who thought of this crap? Trump? lmao.

I remember those glasses/HA combos. I think it would be a waste of $$, if the HA goes bad, you need new HA plus glasses. Or if glasses need replacing, you need new HA too. Sigghs, who thought of this crap? Trump? lmao.

They were around when I got my first aid in the 1970's but that is the reason I had no interest in one. Maybe no need to replace both parts but having to do without both during repair.

It is the same objection that has kept me from getting an all-in-one scanner/printer combination for my computer.

It is the same objection that has kept me from getting an all-in-one scanner/printer combination for my computer.
Funny how, all that you mentioned is cheaper that a stand alone hearing aid or pair of glasses. Dang, times have changed.

My mom wanted me to buy a hearing aid that was part of a necklace when I was 8 yo . I said "NO" , it looked something an old lady would wear. This is one below .

VC703423.jpg

Those body aids were pretty cool. I had one too. They reminded me of something out of the original Star Trek. :)
I am actually wearing mine in my avatar. I am the girl on the left, cousin in the middle, and the girl in the yellow with blonde hair is my sister. I wore mine til my parents realized that the day I got a suspension from school in 7th grade for defending myself after being called a three boobed alien. :lol:

Hex, check back in. There is plenty of us here for your support~!! it's not easy but I have to believe we all will survive~!!!

I am actually wearing mine in my avatar. I am the girl on the left, cousin in the middle, and the girl in the yellow with blonde hair is my sister. I wore mine til my parents realized that the day I got a suspension from school in 7th grade for defending myself after being called a three boobed alien. :lol:
A 3 boobed...ummm... I would not mind one of those. Snapping out of it...Kids in my school actually thought I was wearing a transistor radio!

Back