Hearing Loss & Dementia

www.youtube.com/results?search-quiery=mondays+with+my+mother+mike+rowe

www.youtube.com/results?search-query=rose+garden+rubbish+episode+26+mike+rowe
Your post of Sept. 8th, 2020 is an eye opener, and I think,
should be reposted,
our kids and parents, deserve to know, so they wont fall into the hearing "aide" trap, which are 90% volume. I'm surprised no one has responded. oh well.
I hope these come through. I'm just learning attachments and links.
I know that hearing loss, for my brain, is a BIG loss, and the "thinking" voice, and the "vocal" voice are separate now and need new pathways. Making these new pathways takes a lot of work, but must be done.

Mike Rowe's mannerisms, and voice, are helping me laugh at myself, he is so refreshing.

This "creeping" Dementia, ( feeling lost, Tinnitus, out of balance, and being "startled", because of one ear only), for me, is set aside for a moment, by listening/reading, to well articulated words and great uplifting stories. It is "music to the ear/s", not "noise". I wear my bone phones all day, they are my "anti dementia", tools now.

I seek out resonant frequencies to "quiet" myself, but they seem few and far between with all the swipe phones, and "stiff necks".
We have 2 hands, 2 eyes, 2 ears, and the other senses.
But when one hand is missing, (holding a phone), we have limited capabilities.
Throw in a bad ear or two, and even less.
In the "confidence" world, being hands free and natural is the only way to go.

Maybe "dementia" is in the word "incredulous".

www.youtube.com/results?search-quiery=mondays+with+my+mother+mike+rowe

www.youtube.com/results?search-query=rose+garden+rubbish+episode+26+mike+rowe
Your post of Sept. 8th, 2020 is an eye opener, and I think,
should be reposted,
our kids and parents, deserve to know, so they wont fall into the hearing "aide" trap, which are 90% volume. I'm surprised no one has responded. oh well.
I hope these come through. I'm just learning attachments and links.
I know that hearing loss, for my brain, is a BIG loss, and the "thinking" voice, and the "vocal" voice are separate now and need new pathways. Making these new pathways takes a lot of work, but must be done.

Mike Rowe's mannerisms, and voice, are helping me laugh at myself, he is so refreshing.

This "creeping" Dementia, ( feeling lost, Tinnitus, out of balance, and being "startled", because of one ear only), for me, is set aside for a moment, by listening/reading, to well articulated words and great uplifting stories. It is "music to the ear/s", not "noise". I wear my bone phones all day, they are my "anti dementia", tools now.

I seek out resonant frequencies to "quiet" myself, but they seem few and far between with all the swipe phones, and "stiff necks".
We have 2 hands, 2 eyes, 2 ears, and the other senses.
But when one hand is missing, (holding a phone), we have limited capabilities.
Throw in a bad ear or two, and even less.
In the "confidence" world, being hands free and natural is the only way to go.

Maybe "dementia" is in the word "incredulous".
Oops, I must have typed the url in wrong....Help

The problem with Dementia etc is that there is no "Treatment" to cure it or fix it. Eventual Death ends the problem. I think in the future we will probably find a way to fix it or cure it. And return that person to a freedom once lost for him or herself.

I overhead my ex celebrating the idea that her mom was put on 24/7 oxygen so she can feel better and breathe. Well the thought is this. The heart in that mom is failing in a variety of known ways. They cannot do the surgery because it will just kill her on the table. There is no way to put a 90 something year old under long enough to fix the heart with what she has wrong with it. There is one or two more known ternimal problems that will kill her on the table during surgery. So no one can fix it. They can certainly fix the heart but she would be dead or worse. Even if you had 100% oxygen in a hyperbaric chamber under pressure, once the failing heart fails totally thats it yer dead. However the blessing I see is that the oxygen will improve quality of life for a little bit longer so she can enjoy some of her last days with us.

We are not guaranteed tomorrow. Ive encountered death coming for me 8 times so far. I managed to recognize the problem and resolve it before it took me out. They tease me that I only have 9 lives and what I dont see coming will be it. OH well.. so be it.

There is one thing that no one talks about related to mind illnesses that will erase a person. I already know deep down if that is what a diagnosis for me then ship me to a place that has ethunisia and put a end to it. No 40 years worth of 24/7 caregiving or progressive loss of independance, freedom and life itself. Just hook it and shove the IV and done. I see way too many people in decline for years including some dear family members and frankly if they live long enough they lose everything upstairs. Before it kills them in some way.

Again I have had medical surgeries or treatments that fixed problems like Cataracts twice for example restoring sight. My Grandparents did not have that available to them and so they lived out their life without sight. And in darkness because there is no point in having a sunny room if you cannot use any of the light to see and enjoy life with others. It gets lonesome. Medical technology and so on advances steadily. However there are certain boundaries that I stay with. Essentially what God has made in all Humans in everything designed that is perfect from birth to death its a wonderful machine in a way. However, when man begins to try and be god medically to fix something that becomes something out of a Robin Cook Medical Terror Novel then...thats when we will have to decide if that would be acceptable or not. That again goes back to dementia etc. If I had that and had to exist like a plant for 40 more years I would be a exceedingly BAD patient. And it will NOT improve. Its just the way it is. Death will come soon enough as it should in it's right time. Cures or fixes etc are not always the best path forward. Especially if the damage is done.

Suppose 20 years from now my mind is essentially erased and my life as I lived it does not exist in memory at all. I dont know who I am, dont know anyone and forgot everything or how to do anything like cooking a steak. What do you do if you did cure that in my skull? You will have to send me back to kindergarden and another 12 years of grades 1 to 12 and then college all over again?

I think not.

Every "Blow" to the skull, I think, causes Tinnitus in different forms. Some low and dull,
some high and sharp and screeching, but It seems to linger on and on and on.
My "Bell" was rung big time, on Feb. 6th, 1968, when a "sapper" crawled into our bomb dump
in Chu Lai Vietnam, and blew himself, and 10,000 tons of ordnance along with him.
I was well over a mile from the explosion, but It knocked me flat on my ass. Then we were showered with mortars and 122 rockets, and at that point I figured I was toast.
50 years later I had my Bell rung again, big time, by a load of Granite, that fell off a truck and knocked me flat on my ass, and again, I figured I was toast.
Tinnitus had been with me since 1968, in a low and dull "sound" in my brain, but this new sound is like a Monte Python Movie, "And Now For Something Totally Different".
I had learned to "sleep" pretty good for 389 days in Vietnam, and "if I could sleep there, I could anywhere". I found that no matter what time I went to bed, I got up at the same time every morning, which kept my rhythms better.
Music was a way to do that, because it gave my brain a way to latch on to something special, that wasn't tinnitus.
Voices are hard to understand now, but music isn't, if you choose the "good vibrations".
I'm not sure that Tinnitus comes with hearing loss in it's many forms, but if it does, I think it should be addressed, because it WILL, crowd out the memory. Tinnitus causes stress, stress burns up so much more water than you think, and dehydration is a killer, and a slow, painful death, so I try to "pee like a race horse".
'Good' tunes are a way to "be in the moment", no matter if you're 90 or 9.
ASL put to music is way cool, check out,.. 'Dear Theodosia' from the Broadway Musical Hamilton : an American Sign Language (ASL) cover.

I used to spend time at NSSA near Winchester VA where it features live fire Civil War Artillery into a mountain backstop about 400 yards to a granite cliff. I usually had my hearing aids turned off and the sharp reports of the bigger rifles such as the 10 pounder are soaked into my chest as a force to deal with rather than the sound which for me was not bad but hard on the hearing there without protection.

There used to be places around the USA where I would be able to sleep quietly without being disturbed with a few other trucks and sometimes the Military has other ideas. BOOM! Im happy they are shooting that way not to me although it seems like it. The biggest problem in terms of being blown up was not too bad in my experience, we had a tanker burn for a while. We were eventually told to get going that way run. The tanker blew burning a few slower people who were probably half a mile and not quite far enough away. My burns were not too bad like a bad sunburn. Took a couple of weeks to take care of that. Hospital provided a very special ointment made partly of all things snake oil and other wonderful stuff. I dont know what that little tin cost but the billing was about a months worth of earnings to pay off. I kept that tin for years for small stuff.

As far as falling down well... we had a number of those. But it worked out as long you shook the bells out of the skull. I do carry tinnitus and adapted to it. Its not a problem but never stops. I actually learned to use it a little bit when the body isnt doing well on really bad days then I know to take medicine in the form of motion sickness along with the normal medicine. Its not ideal but helps calm the ears down a little bit take the ice pick out so to speak.

Many years ago they scanned me hunting for TBI among other things. They did not find that thankfully but they did identify various issues and some minor new ones related to trucking thats a pernament part of my medical situation. Would I do it again? Hell yes. I watched my friends wither and dry up in office cubicles cursing their bosses while I was free running around North America in any weather day or night. It truly can be God's Country out there and that was my office.

Being that I am SSD from my "encounter" with a 5 ton load of granite slabs which left me totally imbalanced and tinnitus, I developed a change in my "gate" or walking straight ability, which over time threw my back out of alignment. I developed spinal stenosis to the point of having to have an MRI last week. The ear plugs they used did not deaden the sound of the machine and I had to tell them to stop. They reinserted their plugs and put pads on my ears, but it did little good, and I had to stop them again. Luck would have it that I had my own foam "inserts" and I put it in (deaf in one ear), and I showed the doctor how I did it. Most people, including the doctor, don't know how to correctly use them.

"Hear" is the only way they work.

Twist the plug to a point and then insert it ALL the way in so not much is showing on the outside and hold your finger on it until it fully expands, which is about 20 seconds. This way 95% of the sound is stopped. Any other way only stops 60% of the sound, and the ear plugs used for an MRI are inadequate.
With only one ear I have no directional ability and it seems like all the sounds are at a much higher volume and all trying to get in my one ear at the same time, so my cognitive abilities are greatly diminished, thus a form of dementia. Sometimes in my darkest thoughts I wish that I had lost both my ears, then I would be "equal" again.
I think that diminished hearing in one ear is a cognitive disability that goes relativity unnoticed, especially in children.

I have tinnitus in my dead ear which sounds different than the other ear.

Do deaf individuals experience tinnitus?

and an unknown part about tinnitus is how stress and neck muscle tightness adds to it.

For those "deaf" who have some hearing ability, learn how to use ear plugs properly, especially if you have an MRI. As I said before, my bone conduction headphones and my Wooger Strap have greatly increased new pathways in my brain.
Sleeping is so important so I put my ear plug in at night, put my bone phone under my pillow, and sense the world through bone conduction and low 432 db sounds which turns tinnitus into a background "white noise".

The problem with Dementia etc is that there is no "Treatment" to cure it or fix it. Eventual Death ends the problem. I think in the future we will probably find a way to fix it or cure it. And return that person to a freedom once lost for him or herself.

I overhead my ex celebrating the idea that her mom was put on 24/7 oxygen so she can feel better and breathe. Well the thought is this. The heart in that mom is failing in a variety of known ways. They cannot do the surgery because it will just kill her on the table. There is no way to put a 90 something year old under long enough to fix the heart with what she has wrong with it. There is one or two more known ternimal problems that will kill her on the table during surgery. So no one can fix it. They can certainly fix the heart but she would be dead or worse. Even if you had 100% oxygen in a hyperbaric chamber under pressure, once the failing heart fails totally thats it yer dead. However the blessing I see is that the oxygen will improve quality of life for a little bit longer so she can enjoy some of her last days with us.

We are not guaranteed tomorrow. Ive encountered death coming for me 8 times so far. I managed to recognize the problem and resolve it before it took me out. They tease me that I only have 9 lives and what I dont see coming will be it. OH well.. so be it.

There is one thing that no one talks about related to mind illnesses that will erase a person. I already know deep down if that is what a diagnosis for me then ship me to a place that has ethunisia and put a end to it. No 40 years worth of 24/7 caregiving or progressive loss of independance, freedom and life itself. Just hook it and shove the IV and done. I see way too many people in decline for years including some dear family members and frankly if they live long enough they lose everything upstairs. Before it kills them in some way.

Again I have had medical surgeries or treatments that fixed problems like Cataracts twice for example restoring sight. My Grandparents did not have that available to them and so they lived out their life without sight. And in darkness because there is no point in having a sunny room if you cannot use any of the light to see and enjoy life with others. It gets lonesome. Medical technology and so on advances steadily. However there are certain boundaries that I stay with. Essentially what God has made in all Humans in everything designed that is perfect from birth to death its a wonderful machine in a way. However, when man begins to try and be god medically to fix something that becomes something out of a Robin Cook Medical Terror Novel then...thats when we will have to decide if that would be acceptable or not. That again goes back to dementia etc. If I had that and had to exist like a plant for 40 more years I would be a exceedingly BAD patient. And it will NOT improve. Its just the way it is. Death will come soon enough as it should in it's right time. Cures or fixes etc are not always the best path forward. Especially if the damage is done.

Suppose 20 years from now my mind is essentially erased and my life as I lived it does not exist in memory at all. I dont know who I am, dont know anyone and forgot everything or how to do anything like cooking a steak. What do you do if you did cure that in my skull? You will have to send me back to kindergarden and another 12 years of grades 1 to 12 and then college all over again?

I think not.
My friend who has perfect pitch put his guitar up against his son in the womb and played music while his wife read to him. Joshua came out and was good at math and English all through school. When Jeff's mom got dementia late in life, he would have her put her hand on his guitar while he played and she would feel the music, like bone conduction, and it put a smile on her face on into infinity. Think about it, certain resonant sounds actually make good stuff, it's finding them that counts.

Back