Hearing/learning/writing - Please Advise

ah i read MC as motorcycle club..thus my question..

you mean protagonist then..
Young deaf 1% -ers. :lol:

That would be an interesting story.

This angle is overused... learn about deaf culture and maybe go with a different angle beside a poor little deaf girl coming of age story... Hollywood and authors really need to reach a little... no need to go after the easy story line... give your story a message and let it be unique.

One of my English professors used to say, "there's been no original ideas since the Greeks, the only thing you can do is try to put a new spin on an old story."

One of my English professors used to say, "there's been no original ideas since the Greeks, the only thing you can do is try to put a new spin on an old story."

Your English professor did not reach high enough... there is always a new story if you research your topic well enough.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I'm reaching for. :)

Then do your self a favor... learn the language, culture, and history of the deaf... hearing people seem to concentrate on the kid being deaf first... yet there is so much more to it...
How do her parents and family relate to her, do they sign, she is a teen ... is this a modern day story? If so does she have CI why or why not, how does this affect her ... what about at school, with her family, and else where... is she mainstreamed, deaf school, or home schooled how does this affect her... dig into and learn about the language, culture, and history and you will end up with a much better story then some cliché coming of age story that only hearing people will believe and enjoy...

This angle is overused... learn about deaf culture and maybe go with a different angle beside a poor little deaf girl coming of age story... Hollywood and authors really need to reach a little... no need to go after the easy story line... give your story a message and let it be unique.
Yes, that's what I'm reaching for. :)
Did you try to do this on your own before coming here and wanting us to do this for you ? These will not be your ooen
Then do your self a favor... learn the language, culture, and history of the deaf... hearing people seem to concentrate on the kid being deaf first... yet there is so much more to it...
How do her parents and family relate to her, do they sign, she is a teen ... is this a modern day story? If so does she have CI why or why not, how does this affect her ... what about at school, with her family, and else where... is she mainstreamed, deaf school, or home schooled how does this affect her... dig into and learn about the language, culture, and history and you will end up with a much better story then some cliché coming of age story that only hearing people will believe and enjoy...
Jezie if you write a book I will read it !

Why not experiment a little. You are hearing and have never entered the deaf world. Go out by some ear plugs and go out around town. Look around, write down what the world looks like, what it sounds like, and how you feel. Find how your character would see the world before you 'make' her. I was a fantasy writer before I had kids and I would cosplay(dress up) as my characters around town. You can't write about a stranger but many authors see themselves in their characters.

Why not experiment a little. You are hearing and have never entered the deaf world. Go out by some ear plugs and go out around town. Look around, write down what the world looks like, what it sounds like, and how you feel. Find how your character would see the world before you 'make' her. I was a fantasy writer before I had kids and I would cosplay(dress up) as my characters around town. You can't write about a stranger but many authors see themselves in their characters.

That's a fantastic idea, it never even crossed my mind. Thank you!

so many "likes" on here - AC's, WDYS's and Bott's and others.....why do people continue to think they can write about something that they have no knowledge of or have never been exposed to? Yes OP can research by reading on here but it's not like learning about wines or cabinet-making or sports statistics - we're talking about a group of people who have experienced cultural genocide at the worst, and mass marginalization, among other things....it's hearing privilege just to ask the original question.

Okay, I've been scanning threads for about three hours and I've had some epiphanies:

1. I did the thing that everybody else does

2. My hearing perspective on 'interesting deaf character' probably ISN'T a remarkably 'interesting character' to the deaf community

So what WOULD be the better choice? Because yes, I was totally about to write a coming of age story and maybe that is a bit overdone (but in defense of my original idea, I only think it's overdone because it's a subject relatable to anyone who's ever grown up.)

so many "likes" on here - AC's, WDYS's and Bott's and others.....why do people continue to think they can write about something that they have no knowledge of or have never been exposed to? Yes OP can research by reading on here but it's not like learning about wines or cabinet-making or sports statistics - we're talking about a group of people who have experienced cultural genocide at the worst, and mass marginalization, among other things....it's hearing privilege just to ask the original question.

I've also never been the target of racism or homophobia but I somehow know it's wrong and fight against it. It's a kid's adventure story, you're probably not my target audience.

This is what John Howard Griffin did when he wrote 'Black like me' . He was a White author that made himself look Black and got a first hand experience about what it was like to be a Black man. I believe his son did this too . I don't know too many people that read this book, when I was in college a teacher asked the class if anyone read the book and I was the only one that did . I will tell people to mute their TV sometime and try to watch it so they'll know what it like having no CC .

I've also never been the target of racism or homophobia but I somehow know it's wrong and fight against it. It's a kid's adventure story, you're probably not my target audience.

Then you will be just another hearie passing on a corrupt message... unless you are willing to put the time in you will do nothing for the deaf except continue a cycle and be just another cliché.

Then you will be just another hearie passing on a corrupt message... unless you are willing to put the time in you will do nothing for the deaf except continue a cycle and be just another cliché.

What is the corrupt message?

Back