Hearing Interpreters being arrogant

Complaint to RID can result in revocation of the interpreter's certification for violating the ethics code if there is enough evidence of misconduct and unethical behaviors.

If there is enough evidence of violations, misconduct or unethical behavior they shouldn't be a terp anyway in my opinion.

On behalf of all hearing folk I really want to apologize for our behavior. I personally think ASL is such a beautiful language and I feel honored to learn it. It really sucks that you all have had such bad experiences with interpreters. I am going to school to be an interpreter (hopefully) and I can only hope I will not be so ignorant and arrogant.
If you're going to be an interpreter, you need to know your boundaries. You can only speak for your own actions. Speaking on behalf of others is a no-no, especially if you slip into a patronizing mode with your Deaf consumers.

A federal law in the US ... the HIPAA act ... prohibits any dr, nurse, firefighter, paramedic or anyone in the healthcare industry from revealing any information on a patient without consent ... I don't know if a terp would be classified under the same standards but maybe a complaint could be filed that way if someone felt that had breached some how ... :hmm:
When I interpreted in some medical settings, I was required to sign a HIPAA confidentiality form. In my opinion, interpreters should be professional enough without it but the medical administrators want to cover their butts, so I'm OK with that.

When I interpreted in some medical settings, I was required to sign a HIPAA confidentiality form. In my opinion, interpreters should be professional enough without it but the medical administrators want to cover their butts, so I'm OK with that.

Thank you for the clarification ... and your right all should have the same degree of professionalism not to discuss anything outside of the session but not all people do that no matter who or what profession if it is an interpreter or not ... unfortunately ...

I know most here are from the USA but me I'm from Canada and different provinces have different agencies. For me here in Ontario the Canadian Hearing Society is the place where I go for my hearing needs. I've been thinking ever since i've gotten this ear infection that i want a terp at my hearing consultion in June. Next Wed I have a hearing test booked and fine I will go to that on my own. But I"m wondering if I should have a terp with me or if I should just have my case manager come? But in the event that she is unable to make would you recommend I have an interpreter?

if suppose uncomfortable interpreter tell private meeting. you switch new another interpreter again. board officer as well permission no reason many people have problem on hard difficult. Policy respect to interpreter. they must to demand to respect to require, if you want to complaint to send to Board Office to manager. up to your want decide complaint worst increase pathetic. Board of Office observe policy polite interpreter cause appropriate confidential make sure.

all the time when i was in the states, lol. I can say though I was a little embarrassed because i thought that interpreters abused their border line too far.

Well, not little so much now that I think about it.......

Back