Hearing Impairment Within the Kitchen Environment

I want to get a Hearing Ear Person/carer so I know when the beep on the microwave goes off!!! I'm SO HELPLESS and impaired with not knowing when the beep on the microwave goes off!!!!!

:laugh2: I got a great idea , when the microwave stove is done a long arm out come and tap you on the shoulder to get our attention.

Hi All.

I am a undergraduate student studying design at university. I am currently undertaking a project that looks at home organisation. My target market however is mainly people with different disabilities such as sight, hearing and mobility as well as mental disabilities.

My question to all of you is that if you are a carer of someone with a hearing disability or you are personally someone who suffers with this impairment are there any problems you may face when in the kitchen environment. My thoughts were on how do you know when the microwave has beeped.

Any feedback would be greatly received and even if it just an idea of something that will make someones life easier i would love to hear it.

Thanks!
There is several issues that arise in the kitchen area. However there is several different approach that is used by those who have an "impairment or disability" Some of it is basic common sense, timing of things that need to be cooked whether stove or microwave. Some just set and watch a timer, vibration, or just watch the item. We often like anyone else may just simply forget that we have started or left something. Other homes are already retrofitted by sources that have been given to help.. i.e. flashing lights, vibrations, and or service dog to help. Often those of us who are not living along will just have someone out to help with basic noises that we don't hear with our partner, spouse, live in friend, etc…
Most of us have access to resources that help to improve whatever our needs are however I feel that there is to many of us that don't have all the access needed or fall short of funding to get access.

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with people saying my hearing is impaired. Most people don't say that, though. What most people say is that I am impaired. My hearing is impaired (depending on perspective), but that doesn't make it an impairment. You don't see guys from MENSA saying your impaired because you aren't as intelligent as them. Your intelligence is impaired (depending on perspective), but that doesn't make it an impairment.

Someone telling me I am impaired or disabled because of my hearing is like a MENSA member telling me I am a moron, I think we can all agree being called a moron is offensive.

To sum up: If you say, "your hearing is impaired," I have no problems. If you say, "You are impaired," or, " . . . your impairment/disability . . ." - BIG problem.

Hi all,

I do not mean to cause offence at any language I may have used. I understand that it may cause offence however this was not my intention. This is research for a design project that is for university and any feedback is great feedback. However I would also like to thank everyone who has given genuine feedback. I understand that in a kitchen environment there may be very little problems when being HOH although your feedback has cemented my thoughts.

Hi all,

I do not mean to cause offence at any language I may have used. I understand that it may cause offence however this was not my intention. This is research for a design project that is for university and any feedback is great feedback. However I would also like to thank everyone who has given genuine feedback. I understand that in a kitchen environment there may be very little problems when being HOH although your feedback has cemented my thoughts.

I want a garbage disposal with laser lights so they come on when it is on. That would be cool to make my kitchen look like a nightclub. :deaf:

good grief.

I think the microwave beeping example was probably a bad example so I'm not going to jump all over the poster for that. It is true that as someone said- nothing will happen to the food once the timer stops. Now what WOULD be nice is a better way to know when anything on the stove or in the oven is done (been known to burn stuff etc that way). I don't own a vibrating timer or anything similar (and knowing me I'd misplace it anyway). Depending on the layout of the kitchen in relation to the rest of the house would be cool to have some sort of visual alert system hooked into the stove/oven and be visible from other parts of the house.

Other than that I don't think there really is anything else- except maybe attention to lighting and acoustics. It gets LOUD in the kitchen if you wear hearing aids like me- people yapping, things banging around etc.

The lights around the baseboard is actually a decent idea- I know a few low vision people who'd like that... I'm one of them. Even though we have a night light on I've been to others houses where it is pitch dark and it's a pain trying to find my way around in the dark.

That was me!!!!! HAHA It is a super quiet garbage disposal.:giggle: I also set off the house alarm and did not hear it. I like using the vibrating clock like Botti recommended. You can also set your cel phone alarm on vibrate. Lately I have been using the vibrating silent alarm on my fitbit gadget, super easy. That has become my new best friend.

I think it is great that people want to invent things to make life easier.

That was me!!!!! HAHA It is a super quiet garbage disposal.:giggle: I also set off the house alarm and did not hear it. I like using the vibrating clock like Botti recommended. You can also set your cel phone alarm on vibrate. Lately I have been using the vibrating silent alarm on my fitbit gadget, super easy. That has become my new best friend.

I think it is great that people want to invent things to make life easier.

I was drying my cast iron pan on the stove and the phone rang and I got talking and the smoke alarm went off . Finlay came running to get me , he was all excited and was so proud of himself for going a good job. Finlay was my best friend and Marty is too. I can't forget Marty.

Hi all,

If anyone had thought it was intentional it would have gotten a lot rougher around here :lol: I didn't make any suggestions cause I'm not deaf but I'm putting in a vote for the disco lights. :cool:

OP's <if you''re still here> - the original question in how it was phrased was condescending. You could easily read around the forum for answers to basis of the question.

As for me, I don't like "hearing impaired" - and I also have leaning disabilities but don't label myself as "disabled". It's stuff that I have, that's a part of me, but not what I am, since there is no cultural anything with the idea of "learning disability". Not true for hoh/deaf continuum.
no - I don't like "intellectually challenged" , either - that just seems nebulous and ineffective. AND - I'm a liberal.

Hi All.

I am a undergraduate student studying design at university. I am currently undertaking a project that looks at home organisation. My target market however is mainly people with different disabilities such as sight, hearing and mobility as well as mental disabilities.

My question to all of you is that if you are a carer of someone with a hearing disability or you are personally someone who suffers with this impairment are there any problems you may face when in the kitchen environment. My thoughts were on how do you know when the microwave has beeped.

Any feedback would be greatly received and even if it just an idea of something that will make someones life easier i would love to hear it.

Thanks!
1. Pre-implant, I couldn't hear a timer, so I didn't use them. I had a lot of burned food. 2. I've left water running. Solution: Put up a which piece of paper to tell my brain it's there for a reason - check the water.

How do you know when the microwave has beeped? Without the implant, I don't know and I didn't use it. Same for work - no alarm - but you get used to it (sort of).

1. Pre-implant, I couldn't hear a timer, so I didn't use them. I had a lot of burned food. 2. I've left water running. Solution: Put up a which piece of paper to tell my brain it's there for a reason - check the water.

How do you know when the microwave has beeped? Without the implant, I don't know and I didn't use it. Same for work - no alarm - but you get used to it (sort of).

You don't need to hear the microwave beep to know it done , it has a timer that tell you when is will be stopping . Ad it said ' END" when the timer stopped .

And you didn't take showers as well, because you couldn't hear the sound of the waterfall? :lol:

I once forgot to get my hearing off before taking a shower and thought wow I can hear the water then realize why ! LOL! I got my HA off in time.

Microwave isn't a problem as there is a light on when it is running. However, it would be helpful if there was also a light for running water or stove light when a gas nob is on.

Microwave isn't a problem as there is a light on when it is running. However, it would be helpful if there was also a light for running water or stove light when a gas nob is on.

My electric stove has a red light on it to remind it on I wish the light was bigger . My last stove had bigger light on it. I have to check and made sure I turned the water off.

Whenever I use my stove, I turn on the overhead vent light. When I'm all done, I turn off the vent light.

Hi All.

Ok, help me with leaving the water running in the sink. I'm very hearing impaired and tend to go off and do something else while the sink fills with water to wash the dishes. I get involved with whatever else that distracted me.....only to discover the water has been running and sometimes all over the floor.

Did I mention I'm hearing impaired? that means my hearing is impaired. I just don't get the fuss about not using that phrase, I use it to explain my deafness and always will!!
Water running in the sink ... I think I mentioned this earlier. I've done it so much that I needed something that would work for me (not necessarily anyone else). I taped a piece of white paper to the mirror by the faucet. It would seem like I'd stop "seeing" the paper but it works still where I have it. So, I'd put any colored cloth (rag) up where you leave the water running and hopefully you'll see it.

I don't care what phrase is used so long as it works - hearing impaired is what I used to be but now I'm deaf. It's hard to keep up with the phrase of the month or year.

And you didn't take showers as well, because you couldn't hear the sound of the waterfall? :lol:
napolicapitale: You could smell me from Italy? Great nose.
A waterfall was the first place I went with someone eons ago on a date. The sound was peaceful and I could hear it back then.

Back