"Hearing Impaired" = offensive?

reread my post, I clarified a bit. again, you must think I'm pretty dumb. thank you. but you're not culturally deaf, after all.

lol don't be silly. I'm just asking without assuming unless you have an autobiography in amazon.com. and I am certainly not culturally deaf since I wasn't born n' raised in deaf environment if that's the prerequisite.

btw - you're welcome! although... not sure to what but mommy say it's impolite to not reply back when somebody says thank you :aw:

:D they are really good at body language, too.
I'm trying very hard to think pure :lol:

Do I see a smokescreen? Barkeep! One drink over here and make that a double! And it is not for me! :lol:

rude? hmm more like... *knocking on their head* empty head!

My hearing friends introduce me by my name and that's it. no mention about my deafness or HA. nada. Probably because they're too used to me or something.

But interestingly enough - when I first worked here, the HR director introduced me to some people and said - "this is Jiro... he is our new webmaster... he is hearing-impaired so make sure to look at him when talking to him." I was :ugh3: but not offended cuz she's technically correct.
well, technically right...still, you are the one who should tell them yourself! that's a grown man thing to do... I'd push her over, "let me..." and call 911 after I am done explaining myself if she lost her head. :giggle:
lol don't be silly. I'm just asking without assuming unless you have an autobiography in amazon.com. and I am certainly not culturally deaf since I wasn't born n' raised in deaf environment if that's the prerequisite.
:hmm: exactly, let me speak my biography but when they tell them for me, the introductory is kinda of over. and yes, you definitely assumed. assumed I didn't watch their lips as I needed to and they move when they speak, right? not so hard to see....especially for a young lady like me. :squint: :D not a problem, many HOH/hearies forget that we always rely/live on our eyes.

well, technically right...still, you are the one who should tell them yourself! that's a grown man thing to do... I'd push her over, "let me..." and call 911 after I am done explaining myself if she lost her head. :giggle:
lol there's nothing to explain. What she said pretty much sufficed. If the person has more questions - he/she asks me. no problem. Apparently - you and I have different reaction to it so we'll just leave at it. Neither of us are right nor wrong.

:hmm: exactly, let me speak my biography but when they tell them for me, the introductory is kinda of over. and yes, you definitely assumed. assumed I didn't watch their lips as I needed to and they move when they speak, right? not so hard to see....especially for a young lady like me. :squint: :D not a problem, many HOH/hearies forget that we always rely/live on our eyes.
only when you're looking *turn around*

lol there's nothing to explain. What she said pretty much sufficed. If the person has more questions - he/she asks me. no problem.
exaaactly. I noticed they don't ask questions when THEY introduced me, they just go "Oh. Hi." but do ask questions when *I* introduce myself as Deaf. I'd love if they had chance asking me questions .. I was thinking if my hearing friend introduced me then her/his friends would think they only can ask me questions through my friend. :roll: noticed that too. oh well.

only when you're looking *turn around*
:eek3: :laugh2: you cracked me up, we don't turn our back when introducing! :deaf:

:slap:

exaaactly. I noticed they don't ask questions when THEY introduced me, they just go "Oh. Hi." but do ask questions when *I* introduce myself as Deaf. I'd love if they had chance asking me questions .. I was thinking if my hearing friend introduced me then her/his friends would think they only can ask me questions through my friend. :roll: noticed that too. oh well.
oh well.... what can I say.

:eek3: :laugh2: you cracked me up, we don't turn our back when introducing! :deaf:

:slap:
ow

I don't find it offensive either. In fact, I personally refer to myself as hearing impaired over hard of hearing because i believe it is more precise. However, it seems to not apply to me much as I never wear my hearing aids and like to handle the public the hard way (with the option of just lip reading and/or not responding). :)

But interestingly enough - when I first worked here, the HR director introduced me to some people and said - "this is Jiro... he is our new webmaster... he is hearing-impaired so make sure to look at him when talking to him." I was :ugh3: but not offended cuz she's technically correct.

I think this is a bit different from just being like "oh he's deaf" cause she was explaining how to communicate with you.

rude? hmm more like... *knocking on their head* empty head!

My hearing friends introduce me by my name and that's it. no mention about my deafness or HA. nada. Probably because they're too used to me or something.

Its my assume, because they know you can speak so they wouldn't say that he's a HOH or deaf.

I do not speak, just asl user. Thats why they had to say, "hey she's deaf."

Hoh

I just say that I'm deaf. There's no need to stretch it out or make not being able to hear sound like there's more to it than there is. "Deaf" is one word and an easy one to say. I don't see how it, or any other phrase about hearing, can be offensive.

the term impaired merely means limited or challenged
example if your hearing is impaired means your ability to hear is limited
it does not mean you are inferior only challenged
and what challenges you makes you stronger
impairment covers a very large range of conditions.
for example My high frequency hearing is bad enough to be classed as impaired
but believe me my low frequency hearing is phenomenal:eek3:

it does not mean you are inferior only challenged

If that's true then why did many hearing people treat me like I was impaired as a person when I used to identify myself as hearing impaired growing up? That's the problem.

If that's true then why did many hearing people treat me like I was impaired as a person when I used to identify myself as hearing impaired growing up? That's the problem.

I don't think there's a single answer to this, as it differs from person to person. How hearing people actually perceive "deaf" vs "hearing impaired" in your case may just be a coincidence.

In some cases, image may have something to do with it, especially to those who are ignorant with regards to deafness. If you do not speak as well as a hearing person, some may judge you by this. I used to know of someone who thought that deaf people were "retarded" because they "often speak funny". He asked why I spoke perfectly normal even though I'm HoH. Despite being very annoyed, I explained to him and hopefully he no longer has any of those false perceptions.

But yeah, everyone responds differently to different things. For instance, 2 weeks ago I went to my local hospital to pick up some hearing aid batteries. As soon as I asked for them, (My HA Is not noticable) she immediately changed her loudness and tone. She also put extra effort into pronouncing words with prominent lip motion. Given that I'm moderately HoH and given the type of environment, this was not at all necessary. But it just goes to show how people can respond differently.

I don't think there's a single answer to this, as it differs from person to person. How hearing people actually perceive "deaf" vs "hearing impaired" in your case may just be a coincidence.

In some cases, image may have something to do with it, especially to those who are ignorant with regards to deafness. If you do not speak as well as a hearing person, some may judge you by this. I used to know of someone who thought that deaf people were "retarded" because they "often speak funny". He asked why I spoke perfectly normal even though I'm HoH. Despite being very annoyed, I explained to him and hopefully he no longer has any of those false perceptions.

But yeah, everyone responds differently to different things. For instance, 2 weeks ago I went to my local hospital to pick up some hearing aid batteries. As soon as I asked for them, (My HA Is not noticable) she immediately changed her loudness and tone. She also put extra effort into pronouncing words with prominent lip motion. Given that I'm moderately HoH and given the type of environment, this was not at all necessary. But it just goes to show how people can respond differently.

I grew up pure oral and I was told again and again that my speech skills are so excellent. However, I had a 5th grade teacher who constantly told me that I WASSSS sooooo SPPPPPPEEECIIIIALLL because I was impaired.

Imagine that? Fun year of putting up with that, heh?

mostly because they did not understand what it is and what is involved

this is what the schools should be teaching and have only begun teaching

hearing impaired people as with blind or sense of smell because of the impairment the other senses improve and brain process function is remarkably faster! this is natures way to compensate!
deaf people rely on their eyes so the brain processes that info faster and retains the info longer
blind people rely on their hearing and sense of touch and the brain processes that info faster
same with the sense of smell

I was brought up to be understanding and very observant and believe me I also teach this philosophy as well
and I am quick to point out the above info to anyone who doesn't know it

Last edited:
mostly because they did not understand what it is and what is involved

this is what the schools should be teaching and have only begun teaching

hearing impaired people as with blind or sense of smell because of the impairment the other senses improve and brain process function is remarkably faster! this is natures way to compensate!
deaf people rely on their eyes so the brain processes that info faster and retains the info longer
blind people rely on their hearing and sense of touch and the brain processes that info faster
same with the sense of smell

I was brought up to be understanding and very observant and believe me I also teach this philosophy as well
and I am quick to point out the above info to anyone who doesn't know it

:hmm: Hearing and sight impaired here. You forgot to teach us how people like myself and several others here process and function. ;)

it does not mean you are inferior only challenged [/U]

You'd be right in that we're not inferior, but many hearing people don't see it that way. Take 30+ years (in my case), and just as many for others, or nearly as many, of being told we're dumb, stupid, whatever term comes to mind at the moment, and it gets very old, fast. It's too easy to sugarcoat it without understanding what really comes with it.

Back