Hearing girl wanting to learn ASL and make friends!

ChasingRainbows

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
I'm Jen. Here are some random facts about me:

I am 24 years old.
I just got engaged to the love of my life.
I live on a 31 acre farm in Arkansas. (I moved here from Chicago, IL close to 3 years ago)
I have several animals. 2 cats, 2 goats, 2 horses, 3 pet mice, 1 pet rabbit, and 6 dogs.
I currently work as a nanny for a 5 year old boy. I have been working since I was 16. I worked at a daycare for 5 years, I've worked summer camps, been a nanny for several families, and I worked for a quadriplegic who I am going back to work for in a few months.
I have extensive experience with individuals with special needs/disabilities. I have worked with kids with autism, asperger's syndrome, diabetes, Tourette's, Williams's syndrome, Down syndrome, etc. And I helped raise my severely disabled brother until he passed away at age 19 in 2005. He was blind, couldn't walk or talk, had cerebral palsy, seizure disorder, and had to be fed through a feeding tube.

I am hearing but have always had a fascination with ASL. I learned quite a bit when I was young but I only remember how to sign the alphabet.
I recently discovered that my 4 month old puppy is deaf. I have been studying ASL since then and have been speaking to her in signs. She is clueless, but I have hope that she'll get it one day. She is slightly more attentive to signs but not much. She is a hyper puppy and has the attention span of a fly.
Knowing that she's deaf has sparked the desire to become fluent in ASL, not just for her sake, but for job opportunities and I would love to be able to help deaf kids and make deaf friends.

That's all I can think of right now! :wave:

Back