Hearing-deaf wedding

Jetti

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm hearing and my fiance is Deaf. We are planning to have our wedding June 1, 2018 on the beach. My future husband will be the only Deaf person there. As of right now, we have an interpreter friend who has agreed to officiate. For the reception, we will plan to hire a different interpreter, so our interpreter friend can enjoy herself.

For those of you married folks in hearing-deaf relationships, or all deaf, how did your wedding go? Did you hire interpreters? I'd love to know the details. :)

I'm not married. But I do remember at one wedding both the bride and groom were deaf & HOH. The officiant knew sign (hmm but I don't remember if she DID sign- she's hearing) and they had I think 2 or 3 interpreters. One for the wedding party and the other for the 'audience' as there were a LOT of deaf guests. (really nice- it was at Balboa Park). Don't recall what happened at the reception though.

Two other weddings I went to- interestingly I don't think they hired- one was HOH marrying a hearing man- that was a courthouse wedding lol. The other was a deafblind friend marrying a hearing blind...I don't think there was an official interpreter but the mother of the other deaf guest signed... Memory is fuzzy though.

We had a interpreter for ceremony and it was great. I know others hired interpreters for weddings. Go for it!

I just wanna mention that it's quite an interesting issue that doesn't seem to come to mind when we think about the deaf and HoH community. I would very much like to attend one of these weddings in the future, perhaps even be the interpreter! :)

Oh, and by the way, congratulations! Best wishes to you and your fiancé!

I've been the interpreter at weddings. Sometimes I was hired, sometimes free as my gift to the bride and groom. Sometimes one terp, sometimes two.

I've been the interpreter at weddings. Sometimes I was hired, sometimes free as my gift to the bride and groom. Sometimes one terp, sometimes two.
I've been wondering, what is the rule of thumb when it comes to this? I mean, how much time should be given to one interpreter in any function before you think Oh my goodness?

I've been wondering, what is the rule of thumb when it comes to this? I mean, how much time should be given to one interpreter in any function before you think Oh my goodness?
There are a lot of variables with weddings, such as:

Size, length and formality of wedding.

Any religious or cultural restrictions?

Is the interpreter needed for just the bride and groom or are there deaf guests who also need to see an interpreter?

Is the interpreter included for the reception?

Do you want to have one terp for songs and the other for speech? Or, do you divide the assignment by time intervals (every 20 minutes)?

Logistics for placement of terps.

What will the terps wear?

Terps should attend the rehearsal, and sometimes the rehearsal dinner.

Terps time should reserved with plenty of advance notice.

That's kind of you to do that.

There are a lot of variables with weddings, such as:

Size, length and formality of wedding.

Any religious or cultural restrictions?

Is the interpreter needed for just the bride and groom or are there deaf guests who also need to see an interpreter?

Is the interpreter included for the reception?

Do you want to have one terp for songs and the other for speech? Or, do you divide the assignment by time intervals (every 20 minutes)?

Logistics for placement of terps.

What will the terps wear?

Terps should attend the rehearsal, and sometimes the rehearsal dinner.

Terps time should reserved with plenty of advance notice.
You can do that all day?????

Back