hearing aids not accepted in the Deaf community 20 years ago?!?!?

deafdyke

Reaction score
And this is why I advocate for deaf kids. A "new to the community" parent of a deaf kid, was told by someone who is on the extreme side of things, that the Deaf community was rabidly anti hearing aids TWENTY years ago?!?!? I know
there was still some rabidly anti HA sentiment as recently as the '70's. I'm not talking about random indivduals who may have had bad experiences with HA, but the group mindset as a whole. But twenty years ago, heck even 30 years ago HAs were accepted. They were used at Schools for the Deaf, and even people who Sign, used them. Why are some extreme schools of thought making up extreme claims like hearing aids weren't accepted in the Deaf community?

There will always be people like that. But also, the parent may have misunderstood something. At any rate, why would anyone listen to something that may or may not have existed TWENTY years ago. There is no need to discuss outdated ideals and fuel a fire here.

Today and 20 years ago are miles different...

And.. yes there were quite a few D/deaf at Gallaudet 30-35 years ago who were no fans of hearing aids at all. Many refused to wear them; had one friend who grew up oral...came to Gallaudet and pretty much refused to wear her aids again; they eventually went back to hearing aids as time went on and after leaving Gally. Doesn't surprise me that there'd be continuing opposition 15-20 years ago.

There's always going to be a small group who will be anti_____. Currently it's the CI but that seems to be slowly changing now.

And... why would anyone listen to some extreme schools of thought making up extreme claims like hearing aids weren't accepted in the Deaf community?

Today and 20 years ago are miles different...

And.. yes there were quite a few D/deaf at Gallaudet 30-35 years ago who were no fans of hearing aids at all. Many refused to wear them; had one friend who grew up oral...came to Gallaudet and pretty much refused to wear her aids again; they eventually went back to hearing aids as time went on and after leaving Gally. Doesn't surprise me that there'd be continuing opposition 15-20 years ago.

There's always going to be a small group who will be anti_____. Currently it's the CI but that seems to be slowly changing now.

And... why would anyone listen to some extreme schools of thought making up extreme claims like hearing aids weren't accepted in the Deaf community?
Yeah but I meant as a hivemind mentality. i know there were SOME people who were anti HA, but overall the HA has been pretty much accepted in the Deaf community. 30-35 years ago I could see that. Maybe even as long as 40 years ago, b/c that was the edge of when HAs were introduced...

30 years ago HA's would squeal and squeal. In the middle of class. It may not sound like much now, but boy, did they know we had them then.

Back