Hearing aids and familial tremors.

Lau2046

Reaction score
Quick question for Phonak users. Is there a current model in that brand that is BTE and uses a custom ear mold the same as the old analogs you use to look? My mother has a Costco brand (Rexton) but it's only slightly bigger than my digital hearing aids and with her hand tremors, she has trouble putting them in properly and handling them. Appreciate any feedback.

Laura

I wore Phonak Naida's (power HA) with full earmold until I got my CI. I now have the Link (companion Naida for the CI) with the full earmold. The Naida is not small by any means.

Could you get plastic ear molds like the BTE analogs?

8d6f4504d65b6475836ae89d21ac084d--hearing-aids.jpg

My earmolds are the hard ones, not the soft ones. Mine are clear with blue glitter.

But they can make them larger like the ones pictured, correct?

Her's look like this:

s-l1000.jpg

I want something with a larger ear mold, like this:

earmold-300x268.jpg

Would the Phonak BTE give her that option?

I think you're showing what I mean - the full size ear molds. The tiny ones she can't handle well with her tremors.

Looks like the Rexton has one that can use the earmold. See the middle one, it has the ear hook.

upload_2017-9-6_20-32-44.png

I'll ask about the hearing aids with the full size ear molds. She's just not able to put in her current models by herself and the care is bound to get more complicated. She doesn't need whistles and bells and doesn't even own a smart phone. I just want something that's easy for her to use and hassle free. Thanks for the info. :)

I almost posted earlier about mine but did not as it is a few years old. It is the Phonak Naida Q90-UP. It looks very much like what LoveBlue posted. It may even be the same thing. I have a full size ear mold but soft. This one takes the 675 battery which may help you visualize it.

I just turned 75 and have had some essential tremor for many years but it is probably mild compared to hers (I do take medication for it) and have had no problems getting any of the aids I have had over the years in and out. I all of my hearing aids over the years have been BTEs with this type of ear mold.

I am wondering if what is on her currant aid could be switched. The worst answer you could get is no; but then you would at least know for sure.

Good Luck with your search.

Last edited:
The earmold style she has right now are domes with an RIC (Reciever in Canal)

Yes, the audiologist can make an earmold for those. They will take an impression of her ear at Costco and mail them off and a week or two later they will get the earmolds in. I think they are something like $80 a pair.

80 a pair? Hmm Need to look to see how much the ones I got cost.

I would think you'd be able to switch out the hook for one that will accept a full sized earmold. I've had full sized except for once (a canal type- not a dome one- now that I know what a dome looks like). Actually liked the small canal earmold I had- less itching on outer ear! Mine looks like LoveBlues. For a long time they kept giving me pairs with a piece that goes up into the concha...hated it as it always would cause a sore to develop (ow)...Now I tell the audio not to add that tiny bit lol.

Much to my shock, my mother is keeping them. God knows why but she says she can hear well and has been enjoying them. My father says there's no point talking her out of this, he'll just go back to Costco as often as needed to learn how to do what's necessary with cleaning and such so she can continue to use them.

Back