Hearing Aides are not for Deaf

A Deaf Reality World. You've got to be kidding me.
Face it we're a minority group. The world does not revolve around us deafies.

I am severe to profoundly deaf, and have worn hearing aids since 2 years old. I don't sign at all, I talk. Does this bother you?

Ginette said:
I am severe to profoundly deaf, and have worn hearing aids since 2 years old. I don't sign at all, I talk. Does this bother you?

I am severe to profoundly deaf, and have worn hearing aids since 8 months old. I didn't sign at all until I was 21, I can talk. I threw away my hearing aids 2 years before I learned ASL. Does this bother you?

none of your actions bother me at all both of you are adult now.. it is your decision afterall

I am severe profoundly deaf, have worn hearing aids since 4 years old then stopped using them at 9, got a C.I. (cochlear implant), and have been oral til high school. Does that bother you? ;)

What people do in their life doesn't bother me, its their decision as the decisions I have made is mine. :D

No its doesnt bother me at all.. I accept everyone equally. what they do in their lives are their business. Ill still respect and talk to them. *smile*

Not at all...
Many if not most of us here didn't grow up with ASL. There are very few "deafer then thou" people here. Many of us (even those of us who went to schools for the Deaf) speak and went through YEARS of speech and spoken language training. Very very few of us are ASL-only anti-hearie world seperatist. Matter of fact I think the latest stats indicate that only about 1% of Deaf people only Sign....most of us here are in betweeners....either TCers or totaly bilingal in both ASL and Spoken English. Even most of us who grew up with English as our first language, do eventually aqurire ASL as a second language.

deafdyke said:
Not at all...
Many if not most of us here didn't grow up with ASL.....most of us here are in betweeners....either TCers or totaly bilingal in both ASL and Spoken English. Even most of us who grew up with English as our first language, do eventually aqurire ASL as a second language.

that's interesting deafdyke..

I'd like to give my opinion on this - I've always thought that speaking is the best way to communicate, with sign language as a great second language, as described by Deaf Dyke...

I know many deaf people do not agree with this, but for me, I like to be part of the hearing World, and feel proud about being deaf, and people are often fascinated, interested in me, and what I expereince.

If I was only able to communicate in sign language, these hearing people that I meet would have little, if any understanding of what it is like for me - because I can't speak their language.

If you move to France to live, its best to learn the language. Same goes for ASL, and speaking. If you're deaf, its best to know both. Personal opinion, though, i totally understand that some people don't believe this.

stuntchic, I think the debate now really isn't about ASL vs Sign, but which language should be the child's first language. Too often ASL is seen as a "last resort" sort of thing, and only for those Deafies who function too poorly to learn to speak and hear. Most HOH kids can pick up English as a first language, but all of them can and should pick it up as a second language.
Historically hoh kids have been the forgotten kids....hearing people think that b/c we can hear and talk we don't need a second language. However, knowing ASL as well as English confers all the advantages of knowing another second spoken language!!! Who knows? Maybe hoh kids who are Deaf have much better social-emoitional development then do their oral peers.
(I know so many hoh kids who are incredibly shy b/c they hate talking to people they don't know)
As for Deaf kids....since the risk of oral failure is so great, I think that deaf kids should receive BOTH oral and manal instruction so that they have the advantage of hearing and speaking, but if they don't have the knack for oral speech....they're not behind in language development. It also really really really irritates me that someone who is pure oral but who says stuff like "How many spiders have legs?" is considered higher functioning then someone who doesn't have too many oral abilities but who can express themselves at a Harvard level in ASL!

Back