Hearie that wants a VP.....

tegumi

Reaction score
As some of you might know by now, im hearing. I want a VP to keep in contact with my Deafie friends, but from what I have seen VP is only free for Deaf/HoH. I have found a couple websites that are applications for a free VP, but I dont want to lie and say I am Deaf/HoH, especially when they come to install it and see im hearing!! What should I do? Is there anywhere I can buy a VP?

Tegumi

You can purchase a videophone of the D-Link i2eye DVC-1000 variety that is provided from pretty much all VRS providers except one from the D-Link website at:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=8

That means that 90% of the VRS providers provide this one VP, while only one other provider has something they only give to deaf people.

The only reason I can think of why they won't sell to hearing people is so they can't apply nor buy a VP and force hearing people to call through VRS so they make money off VRS. That's the only reason I can think of, otherwise they're missing out on a big selling opportunity.

Whats your point? I don't see they refused to sell? Sorenson redesigned DVC-1000 and turned it into Sorenson vp-100 The only thing that VP-100 have that DVC-1000 don't have is menu to call VRS. The rest, is pretty much the SAME!!!
So, whats point for hearing needing VP-100? I don't see whats the point why hearies NEED VRS feature?

Dennis said:
The only reason I can think of why they won't sell to hearing people is so they can't apply nor buy a VP and force hearing people to call through VRS so they make money off VRS. That's the only reason I can think of, otherwise they're missing out on a big selling opportunity.

tegumi said:
As some of you might know by now, im hearing. I want a VP to keep in contact with my Deafie friends, but from what I have seen VP is only free for Deaf/HoH. I have found a couple websites that are applications for a free VP, but I dont want to lie and say I am Deaf/HoH, especially when they come to install it and see im hearing!! What should I do? Is there anywhere I can buy a VP?

Tegumi

Have your deaf freind apply for dlink vp. after the installer leave, you take their dlink vp with you. this is common practice for many deaf/hoh who give dlink vp away to their hearing parents and friends. no limit on dlink vp deaf can get.

One reason to want one VP brand over the other, is to have the same brand as your friends. This way you can use the phone number (alias) directory server instead of IP.

Sometimes the directory servers go down, but the IP method will always work. (Unless of course you are calling to a blocked IP from the black VP.)

Many users have dynamic IPs, so signing up for a free username.dyndns.tv or other is really helpful.

Steve

qwerty123 said:
Have your deaf freind apply for dlink vp. after the installer leave, you take their dlink vp with you. this is common practice for many deaf/hoh who give dlink vp away to their hearing parents and friends. no limit on dlink vp deaf can get.

hmmm... Im gonna do that.

diehardbiker65 said:
Hearie want to use VRS though Videophone? Are you lost?

NO, im not lost. I dont want to use VRS feature myself, but I want a VP that has VRS so if people come over to my house they can use it.

diehardbiker65 said:
Hearie want to use VRS though Videophone? Are you lost?

As Steve has already stated, why bother with "another videophone that your friends don't have?" If you're hearing and your deaf friends all use Sorenson VP-100's, why should you be forced to buy a different brand?

Also, when that friend visits, if they have to use the VRS equipment, they can use the same one they're already used to, instead of having to figure out the other, similar system. That'd be like going from USA to Canada and having to remember to dial 011 before dialing the US area codes. Again, not something you should have to expect IN THE USA.

That means Sorenson fails the test of EQUAL ACCESS because hearing people don't have equal access to communicate with their deaf friends. Reverse discrimination, if you would. They have to learn how to use complicated IP addresses to call their friends when their friends can use the built in feature to dial a phone number and have the directory server connect via IP address .

diehardbiker65 said:
Whats your point? I don't see they refused to sell? Sorenson redesigned DVC-1000 and turned it into Sorenson vp-100 The only thing that VP-100 have that DVC-1000 don't have is menu to call VRS. The rest, is pretty much the SAME!!!
So, whats point for hearing needing VP-100? I don't see whats the point why hearies NEED VRS feature?

May I correct this message. Sorenson did not redesign DVC-1000 into Sorenson VP-100 at all. It just researched/designed/developed both products. VP-100 is targeted for the deaf population and DVC-1000, for the general population. It still owns a license for both VPs. It just contracted Dlink to manufacture two VPs.

In the Fall of 2005 or so, Sorenson will sell the refurbished VPs ( I am not sure which one. ) so you, the hearies can wait for this or the best bet is go to EBay.

tegumi-- you won't be the only hearie that lies to get a VP. A lot of local hearies I know lied to get VP so they can sign with their friends. Most of them sign very well enough to fool the person who installed the VP at their homes. One told me that she had to beg her deaf friend to come over so the deafie can help her staying "cool" and feeling comfortable to sign in front of the deaf installer.

Forewarning:: in my experience (also friends'), the installer will inquiry you about your background (how long have you been deaf, who do you hang out, where do you go for school)-- just tell them that you want to keep your affairs private. The installer is too nosy! :ugh: One installer was shocked that I was born and raised in San Diego just like him. "I never met you! Where were you?"
I was like, "I was busy in school and plus I am too young to be in your hangout crowds...." YEESH!

:) Good luck! :thumb:

my friend's mom is hearing and wanna vp so can convo with her daughter who is deaf.. that easy way cuz of some relay is rude and dont uddy what deaf or hearing say on the phone.. so can signs on vp! simple! so my mom learn how use vp so can convo with me if i am at friend simple

gnarlydorkette said:
tegumi-- you won't be the only hearie that lies to get a VP. A lot of local hearies I know lied to get VP so they can sign with their friends. Most of them sign very well enough to fool the person who installed the VP at their homes. One told me that she had to beg her deaf friend to come over so the deafie can help her staying "cool" and feeling comfortable to sign in front of the deaf installer.

Forewarning:: in my experience (also friends'), the installer will inquiry you about your background (how long have you been deaf, who do you hang out, where do you go for school)-- just tell them that you want to keep your affairs private. The installer is too nosy! :ugh: One installer was shocked that I was born and raised in San Diego just like him. "I never met you! Where were you?"
I was like, "I was busy in school and plus I am too young to be in your hangout crowds...." YEESH!

I could lie to them... hmmm... or do as someone mentioned and have my friend get 2 and give one to me. 1 thing about lying to them... is the installer just some regular installer person, or do they know ASL?? Maybe if they dont know ASL, I can just tell them I cant lipread?? :lol: I found a website for a free VP, I filled out the application, it asked if I was Deaf or HoH and I put "NO", but then it said, do you use ASL to communicate, and I put "YES" so maybe I will be considered?? :dunno: If they deny me I will have my friend get 2, I guess I could lie, but I have a guilty conscience (sp) cause there is probably some Deafie out there waiting for the installer person to show up, and little to they know the person they are waiting on is installing a vp for a hearie... :lol:

Teg

Trust me, most installers are DEAF! don't expect them not knowing any sign language! They will know before you realize!

tegumi said:
I could lie to them... hmmm... or do as someone mentioned and have my friend get 2 and give one to me. 1 thing about lying to them... is the installer just some regular installer person, or do they know ASL?? Maybe if they dont know ASL, I can just tell them I cant lipread?? :lol: I found a website for a free VP, I filled out the application, it asked if I was Deaf or HoH and I put "NO", but then it said, do you use ASL to communicate, and I put "YES" so maybe I will be considered?? :dunno: If they deny me I will have my friend get 2, I guess I could lie, but I have a guilty conscience (sp) cause there is probably some Deafie out there waiting for the installer person to show up, and little to they know the person they are waiting on is installing a vp for a hearie... :lol:

Teg

That is entirely possible! All the applicant needs to know is what? Sign language! That is ALL, need not to be pure ASL, but knowing sign language is "good enough".

gnarlydorkette said:

Sorry, I have very realiable sources (Patent attorneys) that found out the information on these stuff. That is how I know the answer. I wish I can spill the sources, but because of confidential issues down the road. I can't share anything.

Trust me, there WILL be better Videophone in the horizion for everybody. That is ALL I could say at this time. :)

Remember, Dlink OWNS most of the patents inside both DVC-1000 and VP-100! Sorenson only owns patents inside VP-100 and NONE in DVC-1000!

lovesorenson said:
May I correct this message. Sorenson did not redesign DVC-1000 into Sorenson VP-100 at all. It just researched/designed/developed both products. VP-100 is targeted for the deaf population and DVC-1000, for the general population. It still owns a license for both VPs. It just contracted Dlink to manufacture two VPs.

In the Fall of 2005 or so, Sorenson will sell the refurbished VPs ( I am not sure which one. ) so you, the hearies can wait for this or the best bet is go to EBay.

diehardbiker65 said:
Sorry, I have very realiable sources (Patent attorneys) that found out the information on these stuff. That is how I know the answer. I wish I can spill the sources, but because of confidential issues down the road. I can't share anything.

Trust me, there WILL be better Videophone in the horizion for everybody. That is ALL I could say at this time. :)

Remember, Dlink OWNS most of the patents inside both DVC-1000 and VP-100! Sorenson only owns patents inside VP-100 and NONE in DVC-1000!

Your realiable sources could be wrong but it does not matter to me. Everyone have a say. Final word comes from the court if we have to take this to the court.

You are right about a better Videophone on the road. Of course, always better and better and better. That is America.

Hey.. get good webcam and make connect with Windows NetMeeting by use ip-address, it work great.

diehardbiker65 said:

I find, not only your "source" but also anything you say here to be suspect. The following two links do not appear to agree with what you say:

http://www.sorenson.com/company/history.php

says that Sorenson and D Link formed a partnership.
http://www.sorenson.com/products/

The Sorenson VP-100 and the D-Link i2eye videophones were both developed by Sorenson Communications.

I'm sure a new, improved VP will be developed. You don't need a source to know that.

Back