Hearie interested in integrating into Deaf culture.

vey

Reaction score
I'm a 21 year old hearie from NY, & after learning some ASL, I've found it to be a true joy. Unfortunately, I'm only in ASL II, but I think that if I was to continue learning ASL (not just formally, but casually - by communicating with fluent signers more frequently), I'd make some friends and have a blast going out with them. It'd be really fun not just to meet other people, but to communicate in a different way. Let's be honest here, talking with your hands is really fun! However, I'm more than just a little self-conscious going to a deaf event being just a mediocre signer. But, I'll never get any better if I don't go into it and really just start signing and communicating with people informally. Even going to the three deaf events I have to go to for my ASL II class is frightening!

So I come to you all with any and all advice you can give me! Not just that, but anybody have any recommendations on places to go in the NYC/Long Island areas to get involved? I have a few friends that took ASL classes (one who is majoring in ASL, but happens to be a horrendous signer: a 'stamper.' really irritating), but I'd like to meet some people reallllly involved in the culture to learn from and just become friends with! Thanks :]

I would guess vey your first step is to Google- Deaf clubs New York City and check out those that are near you.

Good luck

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I'm a 21 year old hearie from NY, & after learning some ASL, I've found it to be a true joy. Unfortunately, I'm only in ASL II, but I think that if I was to continue learning ASL (not just formally, but casually - by communicating with fluent signers more frequently), I'd make some friends and have a blast going out with them. It'd be really fun not just to meet other people, but to communicate in a different way. Let's be honest here, talking with your hands is really fun! However, I'm more than just a little self-conscious going to a deaf event being just a mediocre signer. But, I'll never get any better if I don't go into it and really just start signing and communicating with people informally. Even going to the three deaf events I have to go to for my ASL II class is frightening!

So I come to you all with any and all advice you can give me! Not just that, but anybody have any recommendations on places to go in the NYC/Long Island areas to get involved? I have a few friends that took ASL classes (one who is majoring in ASL, but happens to be a horrendous signer: a 'stamper.' really irritating), but I'd like to meet some people reallllly involved in the culture to learn from and just become friends with! Thanks :]

New York, NY | DeafNation Expo I'm hoping to be out there to see you soon since you will have all the resources of ASL in September!

Back