Health Insurance Marketplaces will not be required...

TXgolfer

Dream Weaver
Premium Member
Reaction score
First they drop the C.L.A.S.S. Act and then then they delay the employer mandate...now this.

What a surprise...

The Obama administration announced Friday that it would significantly scale back the health law’s requirements that new insurance marketplaces verify consumers’ income and health insurance status.

Instead, the federal government will rely more heavily on consumers’ self-reported information until 2015, when it plans to have stronger verification systems in place.

The delay comes after a Tuesday announcement that the federal government would postpone for one year a requirement that employers with 50 or more full-time workers provide health coverage.

“I think that Health and Human Services is doing the best that it can under the circumstances,” said Sara Rosenbaum, a health policy professor at George Washington University.

The verification systems are meant to determine who qualifies for new benefits under the Affordable Care Act. The law includes tax subsidies to purchase health insurance for Americans who earn less than 400 percent of the poverty line, about $45,000 for an individual.

Those earning less than 133 percent of the poverty line — about $15,000 — will qualify for Medicaid coverage in the District and 23 states that have decided to expand the program.

The federal government also needs to know who receives health insurance coverage from an employer. Consumers who receive affordable health insurance from their company under a policy that costs less than 9.5 percent of their income do not qualify for tax credits under the Affordable Care Act.

New regulations published Friday scaled back the federal government’s role in determining whether information submitted to new health marketplace is accurate.

After encountering “legislative and operational barriers,” the federal government will not require the District and the 16 states that are running their own marketplaces to verify a consumer’s statement that they do not receive health insurance from their employer.

“The exchange may accept the applicant’s attestation regarding enrollment in eligible employer-sponsored plan . . . without further verification,” according to the final rule.

The federal government will, however, conduct an audit for the states where it is managing the new insurance Web portal.

The rule also scaled back states’ responsibilities to double-check the income levels that consumers report, which determine any tax subsidy they receive.

While initial regulations had proposed an audit of each consumer who reported an income significantly lower than what federal records indicated, the final rule scaled that back to an audit of a statistically significant sample of such cases.

For individuals who are not part of that sample, “the Exchange may accept the attestation of projected annual household income without further verification,” it said.

It is not unprecedented for the government to use the honor system in situations in which it collects data on millions of individuals, said Timothy S. Jost, a law professor at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Va., and a consumer advocate. For example, people are expected to report their cash tips to the Internal Revenue Service as income.

“An awful lot of the economy is a cash economy,” he said. “If we had to verify every statement that was made to the IRS, our economy would collapse.”

In addition, lying on the exchange form carries with it a penalty of as much as $25,000. An individual who fibbed on his income would also have to pay back the extra subsidies when filing a tax return for 2014.

Still, Jost said, Friday’s rule shows that the government is in “triage mode. They have tried to figure out what they need to do right now and what they can delay until later. And they are very low on resources.”

Ian Spatz, a senior adviser at Manatt Health Solutions, agreed.

“As crunch time is coming, they’re just muddling through and figuring out short cuts,” he said. “It might not be elegant, but this is how they’re trying to make the law work.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...a171f4-e5ab-11e2-aef3-339619eab080_story.html

For those that may not remember the C.L.A.S.S. act mess...
It’s a cherished Washington tradition to announce embarrassing news on a late Friday afternoon. This Friday was the latest example, as Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced that CLASS, Obamacare’s star-crossed long-term-care entitlement, was being “suspended” indefinitely.

Sebelius’ announcement is full of the misleading language that, unfortunately, has become the hallmark of her reign at HHS. She acknowledges that Medicare’s chief actuary “issued warnings” that CLASS was unsustainable, but tries to make it seem like there were equally compelling arguments in CLASS’ favor, and that Democrats were chin-strokingly thoughtful about CLASS’ design:

While some analysts predicted that the CLASS program’s finances would be sustainable, others including the actuary for Medicare and Medicaid issued warnings to Congress and the public before the law was enacted that not enough young, healthy people would sign up. This could have led to a vicious cycle where premiums would have to be set higher and higher to cover the likely costs of benefits, leading fewer and fewer healthier people to sign up for the program. For this reason, the law required me to develop a benefit plan that, in addition to meeting other statutory requirements, would also be solvent for at least 75 years.

Since then, our department has worked steadily to find a financially sustainable model for CLASS. Over the last 19 months, we’ve examined the long-term care market, modeled possible plan designs, and studied the CLASS statute, consulting at every step of the way with outside actuaries, insurers, and consumer groups.

When it became clear that most basic benefit plans wouldn’t work, we looked at other possibilities…we cast as wide a net as possible in searching for a model that could succeed. But as a report our department is releasing today shows, we have not identified a way to make CLASS work at this time.

Contra Sebelius, it was obvious to everyone with any experience in designing insurance programs that CLASS would never work. Democratic Senator Kent Conrad (S.D.), Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, famously described it in 2009 as a “Ponzi scheme of the first order, the kind of thing that Bernie Madoff would have been proud of.” As Richard Foster, the Medicare actuary, put it in an internal email as the CLASS provisions were being written, “Thirty-six years of actuarial experience lead me to believe that this program would collapse in short order and require significant federal subsidies to continue.”

There was only one way to make CLASS function, and that would have been to force every American to sign up for the program, so that the healthy could be dragged into subsidizing the sick. Without that individual mandate, or something like it, CLASS was never going to work, as former Obama budget chief Peter Orszag acknowledged in a recent essay for Foreign Affairs.

There’s one reason, and one reason alone that CLASS made it into Obamacare: fiscal chicanery. The Congressional Budget Office, by convention, only scores the impact of legislation for its first ten years. And CLASS accounts for $86 billion of Obamacare’s claimed $210 billion in deficit savings from 2012 -2021. As the CBO itself acknowledged, the long-term consequence of CLASS would be a “large and growing” tumor of deficit expansion:

Beyond the 10-year budget window, the effects of the program could be quite different, and CBO expects that the HHS Secretary would need to reduce benefit payments and increase premiums to maintain the program’s solvency…Overall, CBO estimates, if the Secretary did not modify the program to ensure its actuarial soundness, the program would add to future federal budget deficits in a large and growing fashion beginning a few years beyond the 10-year budget window.

As I have written previously, long-term care in America is something worthy of serious attention. One-third of all Medicaid spending is for long-term care, much of it to middle- and upper-income retirees who transfer their assets to other family members in order to appear poor and qualify for the program. It’s a huge and growing burden for fiscally-challenged state governments. But CLASS would have taken that significant problem and made it much worse. Secretary Sebelius, at the very least, deserves credit for “suspending” the program and not creating a time bomb for future administrations.

But to those who wonder why so many people strongly oppose the Affordable Care Act, CLASS should be exhibit A. CLASS is Obamacare writ small: a nice-sounding program whose advocates claim will give people something for nothing. But Americans intuitively understand that giving people something for nothing can’t reduce the deficit. If only our government could understand the same.

CLASS should be repealed today, and its phantom savings removed from Obamacare’s ledger. It’s a necessary first step in bringing honest accounting to government-sponsored health care.

It's Official: CLASS, Obamacare's Long-Term-Care Entitlement, To Be 'Suspended' Indefinitely - Forbes

So what? Just another delay of just 12 months.

Based on my experience, I have trouble transfer health insurance because of stupid delay involved and I couldn't get one for two months which is NOT acceptable. Glad that I didn't need any health related issue during that stupid 2 months period.

Anybody want to talk about the article???

I'm not really that surprised. Even just what you file for your taxes is a bit "on faith" there are just way too many people in the US to check each and every file.

On a side note I noticed it sounded like not every state is going to have an exchange. Last I heard a lot if governors were refusing to set one up, which would force the Feds to set one up for that state. Is that what they're talking about? I could see a delay happening there too. Awesome, I live in SC, all our elected officials are knuckleheads and if course we're probably one of those states. -_-

Mod note:

Let's carry on now with the topic and not derail with the accusations please.

Thanks.

My company doesn't have any where near 50 employees do it that mandate doesn't help me out anyway. My next paycheck is going to be lame so I think I'm going to try to apply for Medicaid for working adults with disabilities, I might make too much. I made too much for me to get it when applied for my kids, they got it, but I wonder if the criteria us a little more lenient of you have a disability. I'd pull the deaf card if it will help me get insurance. Health insurance is outrageous, but it's especially outrageous in SC, I'm pretty sure we're way up there on the list if states with the most uninsured adults. That is why. My sister works for Aetna and she was checking ins. Here and she says "wow those rates are really high". Seriously it's more than rent for a comprehensive family package. Ugh just so super ugh

I'm not really that surprised. Even just what you file for your taxes is a bit "on faith" there are just way too many people in the US to check each and every file.

On a side note I noticed it sounded like not every state is going to have an exchange. Last I heard a lot if governors were refusing to set one up, which would force the Feds to set one up for that state. Is that what they're talking about? I could see a delay happening there too. Awesome, I live in SC, all our elected officials are knuckleheads and if course we're probably one of those states. -_-

Yes, if you want get insurance from exchange, you have go to healthcare.gov that will open on Oct 1.
https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/individual#state=south-carolina

It's another sign that this just won't work. States not setting up exchanges is a good long term move. The problem with exchanges and expansion is that it requires a huge commitment from the state with no long term guarantees from Feds. That could really hurt states down the road. This plan was rushed through, that is why they are having to make so many changes. Dropping the CLASS act was huge. The 12 month delay in the employer mandate creates an imbalance in the pools because the individual mandate still exists. And this latest move leaves the plan wide open for fraud.

BTW the effects of the 12mo delay will be very interesting to watch. Keep an eye on manufacturing and inventories.

My company doesn't have any where near 50 employees do it that mandate doesn't help me out anyway. My next paycheck is going to be lame so I think I'm going to try to apply for Medicaid for working adults with disabilities, I might make too much. I made too much for me to get it when applied for my kids, they got it, but I wonder if the criteria us a little more lenient of you have a disability. I'd pull the deaf card if it will help me get insurance. Health insurance is outrageous, but it's especially outrageous in SC, I'm pretty sure we're way up there on the list if states with the most uninsured adults. That is why. My sister works for Aetna and she was checking ins. Here and she says "wow those rates are really high". Seriously it's more than rent for a comprehensive family package. Ugh just so super ugh

There are subsidies, even if you make to much for Medicare or Medicaid

Yes, some states offers like that. For example here in NYS we have whats called Fidelis Care. They are for those who make too much money to be qualified for medicaid but not enough to pay at sky high health insurance premium, and is sliding fee as low as zero.

Any employees don't have health insurance included in their job, can get insurance under health exchange, also same goes to self employed too.

I met my interpreter at university and she paid over thousand dollars every month for her health insurance, due to freelancer, so she said that she will save a lot of money to get insurance from health exchange. :)

Yes, there is that. I think if I had known before hand that massage therapy wasn't an industry that provided benefits (there's none, no holiday pay, vacation pay, 401k zip) I may have went to school for something else. Coulda shocks wouldas don't help anybody anyway. Personally I don't really care how they decide to get the health insurance situation in a America resolved, as long as they do something about. Even if they have to muddle through the details and tweak and modify it as needed as they go, I'm still okay with that. In my mind NOT doing anything about it is worse.

Really what I should do is move!!! To like Vermont or something :D

Yes, there is that. I think if I had known before hand that massage therapy wasn't an industry that provided benefits (there's none, no holiday pay, vacation pay, 401k zip) I may have went to school for something else. Coulda shocks wouldas don't help anybody anyway. Personally I don't really care how they decide to get the health insurance situation in a America resolved, as long as they do something about. Even if they have to muddle through the details and tweak and modify it as needed as they go, I'm still okay with that. In my mind NOT doing anything about it is worse.

You could always consider Physical Therapy. You already got many of the main courses out of the way.

Laura

So what? Just another delay of just 12 months.

Based on my experience, I have trouble transfer health insurance because of stupid delay involved and I couldn't get one for two months which is NOT acceptable. Glad that I didn't need any health related issue during that stupid 2 months period.

Duuuuude I haven't had health insurance since we moved from NH to SC in 2006, 7 years I've been uninsured. I did work for a company that offered it, at one point my husband did too, but even through the employers it was unaffordable. Get this the company that offered it to me I was a room inspector for a condo rental agency, I made 8.25 an hour, paid twice a month, my checks were usually about 580ish. If I wanted to get med. dental and vision for a family of 4 the premiums were 565 PER pay period!! That'd pretty much be almost my whole check. Then they have this part to fill out why you're refusing it (if you did refuse it) every year I wanted to write..."you're shitting me right?"

That last part also figures into the thinking of states that refuse to set up exchanges and expansion. Theory is that many people requiring those services will move thus lower the burden on the state even more. Some even see it as a good hedge on illegal immigration.

But I agree, and I think most people agree that we need serious reform and have needed it for a while. I would have preferred that we chose plans that were free and easy to implement like allowing ins to cross state lines and tort reform. THEN create a plan for the remaining issues.

You could always consider Physical Therapy. You already got many of the main courses out of the way.

Laura

That's true, more assistant physical therapist, you have to go to school for a looong time for physical therapy now, some if the girls in my massage class were going to be going to school for that. My hearing is a huge issue for going to school now though, I wasn't this deaf when I went in 07/08.

Last edited:

Laura

I was going to suggest that as well. I play softball with a girl that made that change.

Duuuuude I haven't had health insurance since we moved from NH to SC in 2006, 7 years I've been uninsured. I did work for a company that offered it, at one point my husband did too, but even through the employers it was unaffordable. Get this the company that offered it to me I was a room inspector for a condo rental agency, I made 8.25 an hour, paid twice a month, my checks were usually about 580ish. If I wanted to get med. dental and vision for a family of 4 the premiums were 565 PER pay period!! That'd pretty much be almost my whole check. Then they have this part to fill out why you're refusing it (if you did refuse it) every year I wanted to write..."you're shitting me right?"

Wow! That is horrible.

Yes, the healthcare system in US is pathetic, however we do have some positive, such as better treatment for cancer patients and we have more cancer survivors.

Wow! That is horrible.

It's extremely typical too!! That's why our uninsured rate is so high here in SC. Something I noticed at the clinic, we have to fill out doctor fee slips for every patient and we have to a make a note if what kind of ins they have, almost everyone has State. I've mentioned most if our patients are policemen firemen and teachers......they're like the only ones with insurance here, and they're state employees. For a little tiny while I was working for my husbands boss when we first moved here, and his bosses wife was an emergency room nurse and she was ranting and raving about how much insurance was through the hospital. It's baaaad here.

Back