Headset to Headphones in the Car

Helpful Hubbie Al

Reaction score
Is this a crazy idea?

My wife is HOH and I am not. One place it's hard to communicate is in our car.

What if I, driving the car, had a headset microphone and she wore headphones. My speech would be fed directly into her headphones.

I've seen motorcyclists use this kind of thing.

Anyone here do that?

Thanks,

Al

that's doable with a personal FM system like the one from Comtex.

Yes, she has hearing aids (resound BTE).

We tried a system that could broadcast directly to the hearing aids. The idea was great, but the execution made it unusable. The microphone was like a cigarette lighter, and they were always getting unpaired.

Here's my ideal:

The system comes with two microphone/one ear headsets that look something like this:

logitech-wireless-headset-mono-h820e.png

or maybe like this:

Best-Bluetooth-headsets-Wear-06.jpg

We switch them on, maybe push a button once to pair them up, and then, whenever we put them on, they just work.

Anyone know of a system that works like that?

Thanks,

Al

simple and basic communication

Attachments

• tcp.jpg
    tcp.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 3
My Resound Linx hearing aid allows me to turn my iPhone into a remote microphone that transmits directly to my hearing aid. Furthermore I can turn the microphone on the hearing aid itself off so that the only input I'm getting into my hearing aid is through the microphone on the iPhone.

Another use is that I can set it to receive sound from the iPhone and set it next to a speaker on the TV and hear better without turning the sound up on the TV itself.

Of course this requires you buy a new hearing aid and have an iPhone. The system does work quite well though.

How would she wear a headset with her hearings aids? Take one out and use the headset in it's place? This might work depending on her hearing loss level. We've tried this before and many headphones or ear buds actually don't go loud enough for her to hear them well in with the noise of the car.

Using an FM system would work well but if she does not already have one it's a pricey option. Phonak (and I'm assuming other manufactures ) make a device that will pick up bluetooh signals and send them to the hearing aid, assuming the aid is compatible maybe.

IF you go with the headset option just make sure it is very loud in a normal environment as the car adds a fair bit of ambient noise, most of all on the highway.

Back