Headphones and Hearing Aids

sappstter

Reaction score
Anyone notice if headphones have any affect on your hearing aids?

It definitely seemed to impact the performance of my lyric. With the lyric it actually hurt my ear, really long phone calls seemed to do the same thing. I'm wearing a BTE now and with the BTE it seems to impact it too but not long term.

Can wearing a headphones do damage to an HA?

I had the neck neck loop with an audio input for awhile, but that broke. I don't like listening to music with just the headphones as I have to listen to it so loud that I'm sure I'm going to further damage what little hearing I still have.

Hearing aids will max out a sound and cut it off so to speak. So if your hearing aids are programmed for your loss properly then "loud" sounds from headphones with hearing aids on shouldn't further damage your hearing.

I'm not sure if you can use the Lyric with the streamer, but I've had good success with the streamer 4.0 on the table in front of me and not on a cable. That should solve the problem at least.

I'm not sure if you can use the Lyric with the streamer, but I've had good success with the streamer 4.0 on the table in front of me and not on a cable. That should solve the problem at least.

No you cant use a Lyric with a streamer...

It definitely seemed to impact the performance of my lyric. With the lyric it actually hurt my ear, really long phone calls seemed to do the same thing. I'm wearing a BTE now and with the BTE it seems to impact it too but not long term.

I had the neck neck loop with an audio input for awhile, but that broke. I don't like listening to music with just the headphones as I have to listen to it so loud that I'm sure I'm going to further damage what little hearing I still have.

As LoveZebra says..digital aids work very differently. They have a Maximum Power Output so say your hearing aids have a gain of 50db and you listened to your music at 80db and your MPO was set to 100db, you would only hear your music at 100db instead of the 50db + 80db = 130db.

It would cut the sound off so you would loose the 30db for example.

If you are worried about damaging your hearing more, spending moeny to buy a neck loop or direct input leads will be money well spent if you are that worried.

streamers would work the best with hearing aids :) (my streamer's acting crappy right now since I can't get a good reception around my desk anymore so having my 2nd audi look at it soon!)

I've used headphones with no problems, usually would set my hearing aid to the Telecoil setting so I don't get the feedback from the headphone sitting on the hearing aid.

BTW: I would suggest using the NoizFree Music over the Music Link. I felt MusicLink was more flimsy, more easier to break than the NoizFree. http://www.tecear.com/Noizfree_iNoiZ-Music.htm

I wear super power hearing aids (as do many others who have replied) so obviously my experience won't be the same as yours.

For me, headphones with my hearing aids are out of the question because of feedback. I can't even wear my hair down (I have long hair) because of constant feedback.

Love my life :) xoxo
Spelling tests are now administered via computer. Class must wear headphones. My child can not wear them so the brilliant teacher says to my child: "go in the back BUT do not turn it up past 3. You cant disturb the rest of the kids wearing headphones."

solution???

When the teacher says he must use headphones, he properly meaning he doesn't want the sound to come out of the speakers to annoy the other children.

If you explain that he needs to use direct input leads or t coil ear hooks or even plug in his FM system to be able to hear, then I'm sure they'll let him.

Sounds like the school needs to learn some basic deaf awareness knowledge?

Spelling tests are now administered via computer. Class must wear headphones. My child can not wear them so the brilliant teacher says to my child: "go in the back BUT do not turn it up past 3. You cant disturb the rest of the kids wearing headphones."

solution???

Maybe they can put him into an empty classroom and let him turn it up to where he needs it, with adult supervision and help? That way he if still can't hear it then he can ask the adult to to say and hopefully read their lips. Hoped I helped!

solution???

This is unacceptable. Request a meeting with the principal and whoever is in charge of deaf and hard of hearing students for your district.
I remember when I had spelling tests, my teacher spoke the word and if I didn't hear it I could ask her to repeat it in front of me (my hearing was mild to moderate then).

I'm starting to think your son's difficulty with speech undersanding is a result of the school refusing to make accommodations (that are required by law).

BTW: I would suggest using the NoizFree Music over the Music Link. I felt MusicLink was more flimsy, more easier to break than the NoizFree. NoiZfree iNoiZ-Music and Audio T-coil Inductive Stereo Earphones: TecEar.com

I don't know if it's sad or what, but I've had hearing aids since I was a kid, so about 20 years or so, and I'd never heard of these types of headphones (or lots of other things that go with hearing aids or the like). Parents assume I'd learn this stuff from the audiologist, the audiologist assumes I learn it from my parents (who'd been taking care of this stuff when I was a kid). Oh well, no hair off my back, really. But I ordered these earphones when I read this thread, got them last week, and man, they're awesome. I have a pair of big headphones that cost $120 that I thought were awesome, even though I couldn't wear them for too long or I'd get sweaty ears, and even if the music was set to low, I couldn't be sure that nearby people wouldn't hear my music (and God forbid anyone knows what music I like, lol). These new things make it so NOBODY can hear anything except me, and only if I have the t-coil thing on. They're light, so my ears don't get sore. Only thing is that the cord could stand to be a little longer. I like to put my Ipod in my pocket, and the coiled cord stretches, but still puts a strain on my ears.

My family can't get over them. "What will they think of next?"

yeah that's why I prefer the T-coil ear hooks, or using my FM system for music listening.... that way I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone else that might be hearing it if I was using the headphones.

Are you using the headphones in t-coil mode? This is how I used them before switching to FM.

Regardless of the device, you shouldn't be blasting your ears with music. For us, that's like crossing the streams in Ghost Busters.

P.S. I never broke an aid with them, but I never used them without t-coil.

cdmeggers and anybody else using the earhooks -

do you find them comfortable? how long do they normally last before needing to be replaced? they seem very expensive.....

i've used direct input leads for a long time, but my audiologist recently switched to a different kind that is definitely flimsier - have had to replace them after 3-6 months, and the new set is already starting to go bad. i would probably switch to the earhooks but the price and the idea of putting a lot of things behind my ears at once (h/as, sunglasses, earhooks, etc) is not appealing.

cdmeggers and anybody else using the earhooks -

do you find them comfortable? how long do they normally last before needing to be replaced? they seem very expensive.....

i've used direct input leads for a long time, but my audiologist recently switched to a different kind that is definitely flimsier - have had to replace them after 3-6 months, and the new set is already starting to go bad. i would probably switch to the earhooks but the price and the idea of putting a lot of things behind my ears at once (h/as, sunglasses, earhooks, etc) is not appealing.

dude, are you kidding me? there's streamers that everyone can go crazy for! lol :D

Back