Have you ever tried to wear CI or HA when you are sleeping in bed?

no, i dont want to hear my own farts

Yes, that has happened if i'm drunk.

Though I used to often find myself waking up from drunken sleeping on computer seat.

Never wore a HA or a CI...but if I did...and knowing the cost of these, I would gently take them off and put up in a safe place....As for mothers with small children, believe they have these baby monitors with a flashing light?....

Then again, we deafies can't hear if someone is trying to break in....would a HA or a CI help with that?....Not all people have an alarm system....and even if they did, the HA or CI would be needed.....

Guessing damn if we do and damn if we don't....

I have a dog so if someone tries breaking in, he's going to be making a big fuss!

Never wore a HA or a CI...but if I did...and knowing the cost of these, I would gently take them off and put up in a safe place....As for mothers with small children, believe they have these baby monitors with a flashing light?....

Not every baby monitors are reliable. I had one but it was very useless for me. Also flashing lights are so totally useless for me. :lol: I had to rely on my hearing aids when my son was born because of the fact that there was nothing that I could use to rely on besides the hearing aid at night. :)

Then again, we deafies can't hear if someone is trying to break in....would a HA or a CI help with that?....Not all people have an alarm system....and even if they did, the HA or CI would be needed.....

Oh such a good point on the break ins.. I had not thought about that but then again I imagine that each person would have some kind of an alarm system to keep themselves safe.

Guessing damn if we do and damn if we don't....

Sounds about right to me. LOL.

Last edited:
I tried this back in school before my deaf alarm clock. I was suprised by the noise...the way the bed creaked whenever I moved, the cars whooshing by my window, the murmer of sounds outside my bedroom door...I had no idea how hearing people slept. It also never worked, using the alarms and keeping my hearing aids on, I slept through them, I think...and I woke everyone else up. I don't think it's a particularly good idea, CI or HA. Bed time for bed and out goes the HA. If you're concerned about your son, there's good technology out there for that to help you and it's more reliable than leaving your HA or CI on all night.

Laura

Last edited:
I do get a sound night's sleep and the lack of noise certainly helps.

However, I sometimes do sleep with the aid. When I was a kid, one of my most powerful memories, I used to fall a sleep on the beach listening to the waves. To this day, I can't think of many things more peaceful than it.

Of course, I don't hear waves like I used to, but I can remember how beautiful it sounded.

It's give and take...

I sometimes wear my CI after hubby leaves early for work and I still want to sleep. I very seldom sleep on my implanted side anyway. I have a house alarm but can't hear it when it goes off. My little dog is the best for notifying me when something is going on.

I tried this back in school before my deaf alarm clock. I was suprised by the noise...the way the bed creaked whenever I moved, the cars whooshing by my window, the murmer of sounds outside my bedroom door...I had no idea how hearing people slept. It also never worked, using the alarms and keeping my hearing aids on, I slept through them, I think...and I woke everyone else up. I don't think it's a particularly good idea, CI or HA. Bed time for bed and out goes the HA. If you're concerned about your son, there's good technology out there for that to help you and it's more reliable than leaving your HA or CI on all night.

Laura

I got used to it after a while the noise did not bother me much. I think it is a matter of preference and situation for each individual to decide on whether to leave their hearing devices on or off at night. =)

You wouldn't be able to wear a CI 24/7. Not only would you get horrid headaches, but the skin underneath the magnet would burn and eventually break down, leaving your implant exposed and useless. My skin burns after just 8-9 hours with my CI on, and that's with just 1 magnet.

I never wore my hearing aides to bed when I was younger, and I tried recently with my Freedom cochlear implant and the sound of my own breathing annoyed me haha.

Not used to it... but I still like to try sleep with it on someday to see how it goes.

i wouldn't want to wreck my $11,000+ processor while sleeping in bed. I'd rather sleep without. Comfortability is the importance of sleeping.

I have by accident. I can't fall asleep with my CI on typically as the sound just bothers me and I can't sleep. I need absolute silence at night. lol

Regardless, I don't believe it is a good idea as;
1. You are supposed to put your CI in a dry aid pack at night to maintain its health. (I don't know if it is the same with hearing aids.)
2. You could save a lot of battery juice that would otherwise be wasted when you were sleeping just by turning of your CI or HA.
3. They are basically like computers. They overheat (imagine putting your CI or HA against a pillow for 8 hours with no ventilation), they don't like being thrashed around (if you can't stay in one spot at night), and it is always good to shut down a computer and give it a break.

And imagine with an implant, the magnet, keeping it on 24/7!?

Never, my CI could end up bent, the cable's insulation can come loose at connector point, mic accessory connection can be damaged, headpiece can come loose, etc.

To bed yes....but not for sleeping. :naughty: I like to cover/uncover the mic to make train sounds as an added effect. :P

I would not wear my HA to bed , it might fall and my dog could get a hold of it. I heard of a knew people dogs chewing on their HA and their insurance did not cover the damage. Plus it would feedback and be uncomfortable .

Back