Have anyone of you traveled to Central Mexico?

katz4life

Reaction score
Is it worth to go on a trip to a town that is about a hour or so west of Mexico City which is the most known as dangerous city for U.S. citizen tourist to set a foot in?

Yes. A month ago there was deaf Mexican lady was spending a month in Mexico City, she was telling me stories about that city and recommend me not to visit there until they get a better police/security system. I read travel forum somewhere said Mexico City is like a bad side in NYC, and you use your judgement and you will be fine. Never travel there alone.

I had been to the border of Mexico but it is a good idea to be with someone or two people with you. I was not alone when I went over the border. I have never visit in the central of Mexico. My sister did only that she went and visit in Central America. She love it there. She is fluent in Spanish and was or is still interest in Spanish Culture. Totally different than me. Weird. **sigh**

I read about danger to most American there but they happy to live in USA..i would be careful..
I always want to go to last bit of SA before Antarctic think it in Argentina but welsh not Spanish is language

Yes, I have. And no, it's not good time for you to visit there now. If you know someone down there, that would be a big plus. Sorry, Katz.

Since Enrique Pena became the PRI president, everything turns dirtier. Those business with China (railway construction project), and his house scandals are exploding all over Mexican Media. Those people who voted for PRI president made a mistake. They thought everything would go back to normal and the killing and kidnapping would be stopping, but nope. My relatives tell me protesters are still marching down there demanding 43 students' return. Sadly, I knew they already were killed and buried somewhere out there in the state of Guerrero. Mayor and his wife are being charged for students' disappearance.

FYI- Mexican Police even frisked toddlers and kids to make sure they don't have a weapon on them. You can find those photos on Facebook.

Enrique Pena had all kind of nicknames like the Justin Bieber of the PRI. You can watch his gaffe on video. It's got English subtitle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loC8jFKlMdQ

Go to Cancun. It's quieter there. :)

Barbaro...why does Mexico remain a 3rd world country with cities like Mexico City, Cancun, Puerto VAllarita and more? Mexico is a puzzling country to me with their politics and economy.

Barbaro...why does Mexico remain a 3rd world country with cities like Mexico City, Cancun, Puerto VAllarita and more? Mexico is a puzzling country to me with their politics and economy.

because very deep corruptions at all levels. all these politicians are stealing money from us (via humanitarian aids and drug war fund) and Mexican people. when a country is gripped by drug lords and corrupted politicians.... it's very hard for a community to grow and prosper.

America used to be like that back in old days. the economic growth rate was greatly hindered. over 60% of NYPD was corrupted and NYC government was controlled by organized crimes. now everything's cleaned up and look at NYC.... one of the wealthiest and fast growing metropolitan cities. Mexico can easily become like that anytime but.... not with corrupted police and government...

how can companies build businesses in a city with corrupted politicians and lousy police? a city where people get gunned down everyday and hung in public. no way.

try to speak a little Hispanic, can be a great help in case of emergency: habla espanol, gringo! :D

sorry, I didnt answer your question. I was so busy with Christmas stuff and business.

Um, Dealing and Bribe are a way of life. They're part of the culture. If you have a successful business in Mexico, they usually approach you to make deals. That's the way it works down there. I will give you an example. A town outside of Mexico city knows my relatives very well. My relatives are no stranger because of their connections with businesses and politics. The town also know they have American relatives. While visiting my relatives, I've been approached by them for deals like helping out financials with their problems like medical bill. In fact, they prefer "verbal" agreements over contracts. Some don't trust lawyers or bankers because.. well they are crooks and like to rip them off. That is another reason why illegals are fed up with immigration lawyers who took their money without guiding them become a US citizen.

Companies actually don't care about risks and hazards except money. Mexicans are obsessed with Walmart in Mexico. Costco is also popular down there, too. They like "American things". They really don't care if they are made in China. Unfortunately, Walmart corporate executives in Mexico has done far worse things with the Mexican government at all levels. You know, Walmart in the US treats workers badly. Workers do not get enough money and benefits like that. Well, Mexican locals live near the famous pyramids (Teothiuacan) had fought Walmart for years because Walmart wanted to build it on the field and next to the pyramids. Here's the link:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/business/walmart-bribes-teotihuacan.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's a long article, but it tells you how they did that in Mexico. I guess Jiro described it well, but he forgot to include the Catholic Church. Phew.. The Catholic Church in Mexico is corrupt, too and sometimes like to dominate the Mexican government. Mexicans are too superstitious to see that. I'm not catholic. I don't believe in those Lady of Guadalupe or Santa Muerta figures like that. I agree with the Vatican that that Santa Muerta is a mythic figure. I hate to see people inhale chemical cans and glues in front of the shrines. Nasssssty.

Some parts of any country are dangerous. I think we only hear about Mexico the most because it is our neighbor. I have been to Mexico twice, always for business ... So I was not in a tourist destination. I speak very little Spanish but could manage just fine.

If you are concerned for your safety you don't need to avoid Mexico. But tourist destination and big cities will always have dangerous... Especially if you are foreign.

In my travels I fell in love with Guadalajara. It is a land locked city, but the historic center is absolutely beautiful. Culturally pure, but many younger people as it is one of Mexico's highest amount of universities. Great shopping, food and music. Mexican people love to share thier culture and are really beautiful people. (Culturally)

I've just recently lost all hearing in one ear (ENT not hopeful about recovery with treatment) so I don't know what risks there are with travel... Or environmental safety. So my suggestion is based entirely as a hearing person. I don't mean to be ignorant and I don't think it makes a difference. But I do think it is important that you know the perspective that this suggestion came from.

If you would like more information I'll happily give it to you. My favorite part of Guadalajara was leaving the city and seeing some 4000year old pyramids after all my business meeting... I'm really fascinated by those things.. I understand many are not.

Back