Hate new cars

If your talking about AMC version, its awesome, if its current Chrysler then it isn't that great.

Its great for single or couples who look for fun in crappy small interior space. If have kids, poor these kids, and there isn't much luggage space, but it surely gets you anywhere, pretty much.

Had it for 4 years, no regret sold it as its too much for me and my family. Glad I have Excursion, went from coast to coast twice with my family, one with and other without travel trailer in back. Fun! Will we do it again? Sure, we will.

Honestly, Jeep is great but its not for everyone.

I agree with you about crappy small interior space - it won't enough for big luggage, big storage box, gaming rig and monitor - I usually carry them when traveling.

I have a hard time to find great SUV.

I think about Jeep Cherokee - my parents owned before in 90s.

wrong.... to make the government money.
proven fact that the model A ran cleaner than any engine today. and there wasnt a lick of emissions on it. I rebuilt my 79 caprice removing all emission components and it passed with flying colors... just to show the emission is bogus.

It was about safely and better efficiency than old car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Some people do swapp carb engine to fuel injected engine for more efficiency. If they have the time and money for this project. Some prefer to keep original and simple to work on, some modified for hot rod use with upgraded carb engine.

Yeah modern cars, the more labor cost adds up to the repair bill. The engine bay space gets tightened. With the onboard diagnosis (OBD II) it's easier to pinpoint the problem but the labor taking apart some of the things to access the problem takes more time and adds up cost. Today's engine is controlled by computer for more efficiency and fuel economy.

It's OBD II. Yes, I am agreed with you about easy to repair. Sometime without OBD II or J1708/J1939 (heavy duty) are very hard to diagnosis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill take a pre 70's any day over this new crap. Old cars you can build with simple hand tools for a few $$, todays cars cost 1000's and thats just for the tools. Besides the average DIY'er has no clue what to do with the new engines and computer systems.

I think you shoot yourself in the foot. You bought the "new' Jeep. Then you still talking about 70's car.

Easy, Google and youtube are answer almost everything about with the new engines and ECM. :roll: Never stop learning!

It was about safely and better efficiency than old car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

I think you shoot yourself in the foot. You bought the "new' Jeep. Then you still talking about 70's car.

Easy, Google and youtube are answer almost everything about with the new engines and ECM. :roll: Never stop learning!

No need to trolling Sono - because he's crazy anti-government Indian dancer. :lol:

Please could you give opinion about Cherokee and Grand Cherokee?

It will be hard to find older Cherokee, anyway and I can't think about best cars for less than $10,000.

If you want older Cherokee with 4.0L there's plenty and motor is reliable but you might have more pit stop with the engine's thirst for fuel (probably 18-19 mpg hwy)

Wrangler is great choice for off road use. The brand new Wrangler have 3.7L V-6 and probably get around 21-22mpg on hwy.

No need to trolling Sono - because he's crazy anti-government Indian dancer. :lol:

Please could you give opinion about Cherokee and Grand Cherokee?

It will be hard to find older Cherokee, anyway and I can't think about best cars for less than $10,000.

I tried of read that he made a lot negative about newer car. But he just bought the new Jeep? WTF?

Cherokee better. I heard most Grand have electric issues. I like straight-six engine and they are better than any V6-V8 for at long last.

I tried of read that he made a lot negative about newer car. But he just bought the new Jeep? WTF?

Cherokee better. I heard most Grand have electric issues. I like straight-six engine and they are better than any V6-V8 for at long last.

I can't fix his mind and sure, some people could be hypocritical.

4WD will great for driving in rain and snow?

Is it important to have traction control if you have 4WD?

I remember from somewhere - you cannot use 4WD on dry paved road.

Some people do swapp carb engine to fuel injected engine for more efficiency. If they have the time and money for this project. Some prefer to keep original and simple to work on, some modified for hot rod use with upgraded carb engine.

Yeah modern cars, the more labor cost adds up to the repair bill. The engine bay space gets tightened. With the onboard diagnosis (OBD II) it's easier to pinpoint the problem but the labor taking apart some of the things to access the problem takes more time and adds up cost. Today's engine is controlled by computer for more efficiency and fuel economy.

not only that..todays newer engines, are aluminum-alloy blocks, which is MUCH lighter....so indeed this too translates better power-weight ratios for performance...and of course like you said, efficiency

I owned Jeep Cherokee for 12 years (The longest I ever owned a vehicle), that was 98 model year. I do have electrical problems with cluster, it has mind of its own. That was the only problem I have for 12 years, it have NOT failed me in middle of road. I would say it has been one of most reliable vehicle I ever own. Number one was 83 GMC S-15, never changed oil, thank god I never did because it was totaled by hit and run driver, damn bastard! Second is Cherokee, kinda tie with 83 S-15 Excursion is alrighty, has some chassis issues but nothing major. 85 VW Jetta regular Diesel (Not TDI), the repairs for that VW is insanely expensive, drives very well but can't go faster than 83 MPH cause it only has 51 horses, due to no turbo. Never again Mercury Topaz. Had few PU truck, miss PU truck, been looking into 7.3L F-350 dually, crew cab, long bed (I know about parking issues, I had deal with it already) maybe get 5th wheel, I dunno yet.

But back to >>> mid/late 90's<<< Cherokee, 4.0L is way to go! It last forever just like 7.3L Diesel, MPG is alrighty, could have been better but not too bad. Yeah, missed that Cherokee. Finally, Cherokee and Wrangler parts is dirty cheap Don't get 4 cylinder Jeep, they are POS. get trusty 4.0L 6 cylinder version, you wont' be sorry. Cherokee is better choice over Wrangler if you want haul, and have family. (Oh, don't get the current generation Cherokee), its POS from what I heard, and when they first release all new Cherokee, I saw too many flaws, many of body panels are not "Square" which shows they were poorly assembled, mind you its brand new, just arrived from the factory!

Anyway, put over 40K miles on my Excursion in just 18 months, LOL More than 1/4 were pulled by 24 footer camper east to west coast, almost felt nothing when pulling, nice power!

4WD will great for driving in rain and snow?

Is it important to have traction control if you have 4WD?

I remember from somewhere - you cannot use 4WD on dry paved road.

Right, can't use part time 4WD on dry pavement, full time or AWD is fine. Also, never, I mean never use part time 4x4 on icy road, otherwise it will throw you off the ice easily.

and so it goes.... didnt I pay to have the work done? Oh yes, I believe so. case closed.

Right, can't use part time 4WD on dry pavement, full time or AWD is fine. Also, never, I mean never use part time 4x4 on icy road, otherwise it will throw you off the ice easily.

Full time means 2WD mode? I noticed about there are 2H, 4H and 4L.

Back