HA's for high frequency loss?

Etoile

Reaction score
I was recently diagnosed with a hearing loss after a year of frustration with missing things. I am mild across the board (30-35dB) and worse in high frequencies (60-70dB). The audiologist said hearing aids won't really help, and she gave me information on communication strategies, but for a long time now I have wished I could just "turn up the volume" on a lot of people and things. I don't have scientific evidence, of course, but when I'm having trouble hearing, it just feels like "if they were just a little louder, I'd be fine." It feels like a HA would give me back "normal" hearing. I know, I know, it's not ever normal...but I just wish everybody could be "turned up" a little bit.

Is it true that HA's don't help with high frequency loss? Do I have to just retrain myself and others according to these "communication strategies" I got, or can technology help me out?

Thanks in advance...it is frustrating and scary to realize I'm missing things, especially since I am an interpreter. I just wish it could be easier.

I had one of the most powerful digital hearing aids, and I cannot hear the high frequency sounds. It's very common for deaf people to have a "slope" loss, which is what we both have. I hope I'm making sense of this. All hearing aids does is amplifies your residual hearing.

So, if you have 80 db loss on the 125/200 mhz, it will be around 20 to 30 db with the hearing aids. With that in mind...if you have 100 db loss in the 3000 mhz range, you will only hear up to 40-50 db range for the high frequencies. Does that make sense? This is just based on my observation of my audiogram.

Digital hearing aids does help a little bit because I can adjust the high frequency range, but for my case, it's all maxed out pretty much, and if I tried to go even further, everyone will sound like they're on helium, and there's nothing I can do about that.

One thing I'm curious if it will work...
If you have digital HAs...
You know the levels where they can adjust the frequency ranges/gains? See if they can LOWER the low frequency range, and INCREASE the high frequency range, so instead of a slight downward slope on the computer, it should look like an upward slope. I don't know if this will work, but doesn't hurt to try. That way, it will bring out the high frequency sounds MORE than the lows.

If you have no clue what I'm saying, that's okay. Me either. :giggle:

Oh my, no I don't know what all that is about! I mean, it makes sense from a logical standpoint, I can see what you're saying...but I don't get how it would apply to hearing. I've never used HA's, I have heard the word "trimpot" but I don't know what it means, or anything! They are going to send me a copy of my audiogram so I will try to post what all my frequencies and stuff are.

Hmm, interesting.

I'm going to assume that you grew up hearing, and just started to have some hearing loss. Hearing aids may actually work in your favor as you're already "used" to the sounds.

CI that was implanted in a hearing person would almost always say, "It sounds normal". That's because they're used to hearing the high frequency sounds, and when they became deaf, it was missing. For me, when I got my CI, everything sounded normal, with exception of the high frequency sounds...I never heard 2000 to 4500 mhz range (which would be like crickets, hearing aid whistlings, leaves blowing in the wind, etc). So, when I got the CI, it's like "WHOA! I can hear that!" But..it takes time and training to actually determine what I heard, same thing goes for discrimination.

Having said that, the HA will just amplify sound for you, and with your residual hearing, it will pretty much "sound" the same as it was before you had the loss....the high frequency range is very tough to amplify.

Why does the audiologist say, "hearing aids won't help"??? You do have mild loss, so CI will not really help (it actually will be VERY loud for you in this situation, not worth trying).

With HA, your low frequency range will most likely bring you back to "hearing", and your high frequency range will probably be around 30 to 40db line. I think that's a lot better...you will get used to "missing" high frequency sounds, and your brain fills in the blanks.

It just doesn't make sense to me that your audiologist will say it won't help.

You may not need a powerful hearing aids like mine, but you should do just fine with hearing aids that are typically given to the elderly when they have mild loss.

Oh yes, sorry I didn't explain that! I grew up hearing, yes. I think my hearing problems started after a scuba diving accident in October 2006. I have an earlier audiogram (from a job test) that shows the same pattern I have on the current audiogram, but on the current one everything is a little lower. I think it relates to blowing out both my eardrums in that scuba diving accident.

But yeah, that's what I am thinking...why can't they at least try HA's for a little while and see if they help? I guess am putting a lot of faith in technology, but it just feels like if things were a little louder I would be able to hear them better. I don't know, I might ask the audiologist again. Of course who knows if I would get the same one! I am going to the Gallaudet audiology center (in MTB building) and you get a new person every time, because they are students and teachers and they rotate. It's a little weird. :)

I would go and see another audiologist and get a second opinion. They should at least let you trial hearing aids to see if they give you any support. The later hearing aids are adjustable.

Trialing hearing aids is a good idea, I think.

IANAA, but perhaps your loss is not quite bad enough yet to benefit from aids, in the audiologist's opinion? That is, you *could* use a boost in the high frequencies, but the benefits of doing so don't yet outweigh the cost of a decreased SNR (because you're throwing an amplifier into the loop, which is going to cause problems) and all the other things that go with hearing aids.

That said, there are (relatively) new aids that, IIRC, are intended specifically for high-frequency losses. Oticon's Delta, I think, is one. Perhaps the audiologist you saw at Gally just isn't used to working with patients that have mild hearing losses? (I really don't know if that's the case, but it's possible - think about who the bulk of their patients are.)

Yeah, ampliying mild losses is kinda hit or miss. Some respond well, others don't. It is worth it to experiment thou!

Hi Etoile

If you have digital HAs...
You know the levels where they can adjust the frequency ranges/gains? See if they can LOWER the low frequency range, and INCREASE the high frequency range, so instead of a slight downward slope on the computer, it should look like an upward slope. I don't know if this will work, but doesn't hurt to try. That way, it will bring out the high frequency sounds MORE than the lows.

The advice above from LadySekhmet is the first thing I would ask the audiologist. However, just so that you are aware, as others have said, hearing aids amplify sound. And as we know, ongoing exposure to loud noise can also lead to further hearing loss - so just be aware that hearing aids *may* actually make your loss worse over time.

Good luck!

I agree with the above posters...I recommend you to look for another audiologist...the one that is used to Dealing with mild loss, not profoundly deaf as at Gally. :)

I know it's tough, but I really hate it when there's no way to do a "trial run"...it costs money for rental or whatnot. It's a PIA.

I didn't know about Oticon's Delta. It sounds promising.

Really very interesting Etoile, especially since you are an interpreter too! What I can say is that firstly, you need to be able to "accept" your loss as much as possible. I have been HOH since 5 (am 23 now), and I had a very hard time accepting it, because I felt the people around me wont accept me.

Secondly, hearing aids are really going to help you as long as you are in the
mild, moderate, severe range. I have profound, and I dont know how I managed it all these years, but it was definitely very hard. I am looking at CI now I guess. HA do help amplify sounds to a great extent and they help alot with high frequencies. Only thing is that they don't make understanding speech very clear. So, if you are in a group of people, you "may" have a little trouble catching up. But otherwise you will be fine. I dont think everyone benefits from hearing aids - the goal is to wear the hearing aids and re-train yourself, make slight lifetstyle modifications, and you will be on track! So you need some kind of optimism and confidence, as well as acceptance. From my experience, I can tell you that the best way to communicate is to use both the hearing aids and lip reading. This has been the best combination for me, and I have been doing this for years now. But ofcourse, not everyone can benefit this way. And it wont be so bad if you try it out!

Thirdly, I have been living on self-made "communication strategies" that I always try to inform people around me. My audiologist guided me through this years back, and I can say I have really benefitted alot, and some people around me are also having fun adapting these rules in their own lives!!! If you want, I could share with you my "communication strategies". (just PM me!). These strategies are not only for myself, but friends, family, work colleagues and so on. And I try to make it cool, not gather sympathy!

And oh yeah, Oticon hearing aids are the most powerful out in the markets. I use Oticon Sumo and they are awesome! I have had many other brands too like Widex, Siemens, Phonak, Unitron, but other than Oticon, I would say Phonak is also very good. Maybe your audiologist could guide you through this.

Thirdly, I have been living on self-made "communication strategies" that I always try to inform people around me. My audiologist guided me through this years back, and I can say I have really benefitted alot, and some people around me are also having fun adapting these rules in their own lives!!! If you want, I could share with you my "communication strategies". (just PM me!). These strategies are not only for myself, but friends, family, work colleagues and so on. And I try to make it cool, not gather sympathy!

Hey Hugoboss - maybe you could post these communication strategies on a new thread - I am sure they would benefit a lot of people. :)

I recommend you to look for another audiologist...the one that is used to Dealing with mild loss, not profoundly deaf as at Gally. :)

Everyone has been giving me some really good advice! It sounds like HA's can help for mild hearing loss if you tune them that way! I think what LadySekhmet said has been the most interesting for me.

Would a HA dispenser be able to help me? I think usually they will give you advice for free because they want you to buy stuff, right? If I bring them my audiogram, can they give me advice?

Everyone has been giving me some really good advice! It sounds like HA's can help for mild hearing loss if you tune them that way! I think what LadySekhmet said has been the most interesting for me.

Would a HA dispenser be able to help me? I think usually they will give you advice for free because they want you to buy stuff, right? If I bring them my audiogram, can they give me advice?

Good question...

I know the last two audiologists that I went to, I did not have to pay them ANYTHING regarding to audiograms and consultation. It doesn't hurt to ask around. Make sure that it's someone who is familiar with various devices, various hearing loss. The only reason why I said that was because some HA dispensers just sell hearing aids, and they are not really familiar with "adjusting" issue.

It's kind of tricky to test the "waters". Some places only sell ONE brand. So, that's something you should consider. Maybe one hearing aid will help, and another doesn't. So you're better off trying to find an audiologist that deals with different brands.

Hugs

EWWWWW.....HA dispensers SUCK!!!(Miricle Ear and Beltone and those places) They will just try to get you to buy the most expensive dinky aid out there. Stick with a general audi.

LOL, thanks for the tip! I didn't know dispensers were that bad. Thanks for the info, I will start looking for a local person who won't break the bank BEFORE I buy anything. ;)

Hi Etoile
The advice above from LadySekhmet is the first thing I would ask the audiologist. However, just so that you are aware, as others have said, hearing aids amplify sound. And as we know, ongoing exposure to loud noise can also lead to further hearing loss - so just be aware that hearing aids *may* actually make your loss worse over time.

Good luck!

You know, I wish I had been told this growing up. I think this ongoing exposure to noise amplification ultimately resulted in my sudden further loss in hearing in 2005. It was only looking back that I realised that I had several episodes of hearing damage after being in a noisy situation (music lessons were the most common culprits) but until the last time, my hearing repaired itself overnight. I never knew what was going on until one day my hearing just did not repair itself.

People need to know that those who already have hearing losses are at greater risk for further hearing loss compared to people with normal level hearing.

Age related hearing loss most commonly affects the high frequency range. This can make it difficult to have conversations in places that have loud background noise, like a crowded restaurant. Other symptoms include ringing in the ears, difficulty hearing women speak, and the sense that people are always mumbling when they speak to you. Age related hearing loss is permanent and you will never regain your hearing.

Northernsydney, KNOCK IT OFF! this thread is over 3 years old!

Back