Has anyone read this new study?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention there are countless studies on the benefits of bilingualism.

So why is it that being bilingual is such a benefit to the minds of hearing people but not to Deaf people? Are our brains really that different?

ASL isn't a crutch that inhibits the hearing world's oh-so-very-important spoken language any more than spoken language inhibits ASL, just like Spanish isn't a crutch that inhibits English and English isn't a crutch that inhibits Spanish.

Our brains are plenty big enough for both.

Not to mention there are countless studies on the benefits of bilingualism.

So why is it that being bilingual is such a benefit to the minds of hearing people but not to Deaf people? Are our brains really that different?

ASL isn't a crutch that inhibits the hearing world's oh-so-very-important spoken language any more than spoken language inhibits ASL, just like Spanish isn't a crutch that inhibits English and English isn't a crutch that inhibits Spanish.

I think that how widespread the use of both Spanish and English is compared to how many people use ASL is a factor.

I think that how widespread the use of both Spanish and English is compared to how many people use ASL is a factor.

How? I don't think it matters. I am sure there are people who learned/are learning Spanish do not live anywhere near a large Spanish speaking community. I have a friend who has also learned French- despite the fact there isn't much of a French presence in the US (that's in addition to English and ASL- she is an interpreter- currently semi retired).

It's even more possible to interact with ASL these days through video and technology.

Of course I'm sure my opinion will fall flat because you will say there's not enough ASL communities or social events. There are- just that they tend to gravitate towards certain areas of the US. Just like those who speak Spanish or Chinese... or Russian.

I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for saying this, but our brains are big enough to learn written English as primary, then sign language secondary. SEE, PSE or ASL or whatever..

I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for saying this, but our brains are big enough to learn written English as primary, then sign language secondary. SEE, PSE or ASL or whatever..

Except that a lot of Deaf kids who have no access to spoken language or signed language and learn written English only end up language deprived and aren't fluent in ANY language: written, spoken or signed.

So actually, no.

Also, SEE and PSE aren't languages.

Except that a lot of Deaf kids who have no access to spoken language or signed language and learn written English only end up language deprived and aren't fluent in ANY language: written, spoken or signed.
I may be missing something. If the kids learn written English... how are they deprived? All they have to do is learn to sign it and write it. Dont worry about correcting me, I have been beaten up over this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back