Has anyone ever told you to stop acting too white or too black?

peekaboo

Reaction score
I had someone look me in the eye and told me to STOP acting so WHITE... What does that mean? I am white and I can't help but act white I dont know how to act anything else but white. I just don't understand what they mean by this. Can someone please explain to me what do they mean? Has anyone said this to you? If so, how do you handle it?

Thanks!!!

This is a difficult question answer but I will try to help. I'm a NON-WHITE person. I'm of 100% central american and I see a huge difference in culture between me and a white person. My culture is vastly different than white peoples in that my culture celebrates and encourages passion and emotion. My culture teaches us to be very expressive in our facial gestures and we are normally very animated and energetic. We thrive on the company of friends and family and we are taught to be grateful for everything we have. We sing, dance, cry, laugh, get angry, and sad all at once because we only know how to release our emotions. We are very hospitable where we make sure that our company feels like family and we are quick to offer help and food. My culture is free-spirited, loud, and kind.

Generally speaking, I see white people as very reserved, organized, tranquil and sometimes boring. This is not a bad thing. But I can see how a NON-white person can tell a white person to "stop acting so white". They probably mean "stop acting so uptight and relax". This is because white people tend to be very quiet and collected and they seem to care a lot about what people think of them.

I'm speaking generally of course and not all WHITE people are the same and not all NON-white people are the same. This is just my interpretation.

Truth_seeker's answer is a good one. I'm married to a Black guy and after 25 years I am still as White in my controlled way of being as I ever was. I've seen videos of myself and cringe at the difference. My communication does not look genuine, it comes from my heart but then passes through the cultural filter that makes it sound... tinny, if you will.

Just try to be as honest and forthright as you can.

thanks for your responses. What I meant was someone will say that I am acting to white was because most of the whites are self-centered and can come off as "superior, better than anyone else color"... That is what I am talking about. Like white people have this privileged attitude.
I just found out that white is not even a color nor is black. I know that may sound strange but its true. I did some background check on where the colors and race come from... shocking!
Anywho... I have noticed more and more how my culture acts and how others act. It really surprised me that other people Non-whites are more refined and have more respect than Europeans do. Sad, but true.

I am trying to define, better myself, become more respectful toward others. I am honest, kind and love to give hugs. :)

I hope this clears up what I am saying here.

Back