Has anyone ever struggled working in groups?

I

Ilovetocrochet

I am currently at university and the biggest downfall is working in groups and doing presentations.. wowzer! Seriously what a struggle and a headache I get after! I am currently working in two groups. In one group, I am expected to listen and write what people say .. which is hard cos I lipread! Presentation is an absolute bloody nightmare. I can put the work in no problem but to stand up, and speak in front of an audience with a speech impediment and also hearing loss is so difficult for me. If anyone asks questions or if someone talks, I cannot understand or hear them. I do wear hearing aids but we all know they are not 100% effective. Just wondering am I the only one? I have asked student support to exclude me from doing them and to do alternative work instead (independently) but I have yet to hear back from them.

I am currently at university and the biggest downfall is working in groups and doing presentations.. wowzer! Seriously what a struggle and a headache I get after! I am currently working in two groups. In one group, I am expected to listen and write what people say .. which is hard cos I lipread! Presentation is an absolute bloody nightmare. I can put the work in no problem but to stand up, and speak in front of an audience with a speech impediment and also hearing loss is so difficult for me. If anyone asks questions or if someone talks, I cannot understand or hear them. I do wear hearing aids but we all know they are not 100% effective. Just wondering am I the only one? I have asked student support to exclude me from doing them and to do alternative work instead (independently) but I have yet to hear back from them.

Your headaches will never go away unless you change something. Get an interpreter, or is that a problem for you? I know exactly what you are talking about, but hey, the university has an obligation to accommodate you. Hang in there.

I've been having a ton of problems at school. I use hearing aids and an FM system but it's been really difficult. I'm trying to transition into more online classes. I can sign but used more signed English and contact sign in school so I'm learning proper ASL. I hope to become fluent in that so I can use actual interpreters and get more out of my classes.

What are you studying?

I do as well.. i sometimes miss out small details when working in a group. I also hate to do meetings since I would miss a lot information. I was told to improve on my pronunciation by a lecturer. So i told another lecturer about the problems i faced and how my speech may not be clear so he highlighted it to all the lecturers of each classes i took. Then that lecturer who told me to improve on my pronounciation said "actually your pronounciation isn't bad. It's ok".

I kinda eye rolled at him for being so contradicting. In regards to presentation, practise a lot and you will feel confident. Correct mispronounciations when you practise. It will help you to not stumble over your words.

why are you expected to listen and write what people say?????? did you inform the group that you are deaf? you do not need to ask student support. you should be telling your group that you can't do it. and you should be informing your professor about it. and you should be contacting your university's disability department to discuss about accommodation that suits your needs.

I work in groups all the time and I do presentations all the time. I do it with strong confidence and pride because I have CART and ASL interpreters ready for me.

do you reside in USA?

I've been having a ton of problems at school. I use hearing aids and an FM system but it's been really difficult. I'm trying to transition into more online classes. I can sign but used more signed English and contact sign in school so I'm learning proper ASL. I hope to become fluent in that so I can use actual interpreters and get more out of my classes.

What are you studying?
I'm assuming that you reside in Colorado. Terp's not the only accommodation available for deaf students. You can ask for CART service or similar if that suits you better. It's a service where stenographer listens and types it out for you and you read it from the laptop.

I'm fluent in ASL but it's not my first language and I learned it several years ago. So I use CART for classroom setting.

I wonder how well CART would work in a coding bootcamp setting...

I'll dig up a "typical day" and post here later.

You need a cold drink or three, and then plan your escape thru the backdoor.

Last edited:

Happened to me all the time and I always hated it. Now I'm employed at an agency that forever treats the employees like they're five years old and make us do incredibly stupid things during training/meetings....so I take a day off to rearrange my socks on those days.

ugh.. can't find a fairly straightforward one- they tend to vary but I've found they all follow a similar model with the 'flipped classroom'

Mornings tend to be lectures or lessons on the topic of the day (about 1-3 hours)

Afternoons tend to be more labs type- and working on coding/projects/homework etc so more or less 'free form' with instructors there to help with any questions and 'pair programming' or working in groups on coding in some organizations.

Some also have "Sprints" or "Stand ups" much like a work day- quick 10-15 minutes of "How's my project going" and what has been done, problems encountered etc.

The program I was planning on going to- The Iron Yard had already said yes to providing an interpreter so was thrilled with that (and in fact they DID provide one for the last 2 Demo Days I went to!)... sadly they've closed down now :(.

On the topic of groups... I hated doing them in high school, college and work.. for several reasons... 1)I'm shy so never say much (get dinged for that) 2) hard to keep up communication wise- if they're all hearing. I did slightly better at Gallaudet but the introvert me had more trouble plus still learning ASL.

Would rather work alone than in a group or 'pairing' in any activity lol.

I'm assuming that you reside in Colorado. Terp's not the only accommodation available for deaf students. You can ask for CART service or similar if that suits you better. It's a service where stenographer listens and types it out for you and you read it from the laptop.

I'm fluent in ASL but it's not my first language and I learned it several years ago. So I use CART for classroom setting.

Yep I do live in CO :) I used CART in some classes in high school, it was really helpful. So far in college I've used note takers and an FM system. I've had a hard time getting CART and things captioned. I decided to take online classes after battling with the head of my department (well no longer my department she kicked me out) but now some of my professors haven't been submitting the videos we use in time for me to get them captioned, so I haven't had them for tests. Some of the other students have been giving me summaries of the videos which has helped. It's just been so frustrating. I finally started speaking up more for myself and as a result the head of my department said I'm just not a good fit and I should try something else. I finally went to my dad who is a lawyer and told him about what I've been struggling with the last year. He is helping me talk to the dean again (in the past the dean was like sorry head of department can do whatever they want in their department) and if that fails then file an ADA suit. It's been a huge mess.

I've almost done better with groups (in online and even in person classes) because the other students are so much more helpful and understanding than my professors. They've worked with me using relay calls, e-mail, text, etc. and they all make sure I know everything I may have missed from lack of captioning.

it went well for me. I had full-time bootcamp for 3 months, 8 hours a day. and now I'm currently in part-time 6-months data science... 3 hours and 4 hours on saturday.

they do learn the material in advance to input the new words in their computers.

it went well for me. I had full-time bootcamp for 3 months, 8 hours a day. and now I'm currently in part-time 6-months data science... 3 hours and 4 hours on saturday.

they do learn the material in advance to input the new words in their computers.

Thank you for that. That's exactly the type of bootcamp I'm looking into- full time- 8ish hours a day,12 weeks (one is 11 weeks though hmmm). Have nothing to lose- I'm unemployed anyway lol.

Appreciate your input. Right now looking at 2- both out of state but have very good opportunities for scholarships... (since VR is draaaaaaaaaaagging...)

Thank you for that. That's exactly the type of bootcamp I'm looking into- full time- 8ish hours a day,12 weeks (one is 11 weeks though hmmm). Have nothing to lose- I'm unemployed anyway lol.

Appreciate your input. Right now looking at 2- both out of state but have very good opportunities for scholarships... (since VR is draaaaaaaaaaagging...)

if you're very motivated and dedicated with nothing but time and effort 100% dedicated to this.... then full-time bootcamp is definitely doable and manageable because it is pretty aggressive and very fast-paced. I got quickly overwhelmed in just few weeks. wow.... wow..... never again! lol I got pretty fat from drinking energy drinks almost everyday. I took full stack web development program.

and now I'm in part-time bootcamp for data science.... I like it better. It's also cuz I have 2 jobs.

what are you interested in?

During my college days, I would struggle in group if I had no interpreter. At my old job, I had to attend meetings for agenda stuff. I was very glad workers were very patient with me and loved my ideas I shared with. Thanks goodness.

if you're very motivated and dedicated with nothing but time and effort 100% dedicated to this.... then full-time bootcamp is definitely doable and manageable because it is pretty aggressive and very fast-paced. I got quickly overwhelmed in just few weeks. wow.... wow..... never again! lol I got pretty fat from drinking energy drinks almost everyday. I took full stack web development program.

and now I'm in part-time bootcamp for data science.... I like it better. It's also cuz I have 2 jobs.

what are you interested in?

LOL yep... Back when I first got into computers/IT I quit my full time job and took a business school course in Computer Programming (COBOL- right at the whole buildup on y2k)... but even though it was full time 8-5 daily- my program was 7 months long! and THAT was stressful some days...

Ahem anyway.. I'm interested between Python, Java, .NET- I'd rather do the backend ("make it function") than the frontend ("make it pretty") as I am not the best at designing graphics, matching colors etc. I did see that one of the camps I'm looking at just rolled out a QA Test one focusing on automated testing- Selenium etc. hmm.

I'd love to stay with Mainframe or COBOL but there's almost zero courses, refresher or new, or even certification for that anymore. You either gotta have recent experience (it's been more than 2 years- embarrassed to say how long now...) or be a recent college graduate to get some kind of job now. The two programs I'm looking at - one is in Utah (Free housing though) and the other in Indiana (I have a friend who just happens to live in the same town!).

lol I got pretty fat from drinking energy drinks almost everyday.

Oh dear, yep that's the one thing I'm worried about.. more Pepsi than I drink now.. *sigh*.

Hello Unitron Queen! Thank you for sharing your struggles with us. You are not the only one! I do understand it! I am myself deaf but many people think that I’m hearing. I can speak so well. I’ve been through similar situations in college. Having an ASL interpreter was very helpful for me. Sometimes I would ask her to please voice it for me when giving presentations. It’s all depend on how you feel. Have you consider getting an interpreter for your groups? How about educate them about the deaf culture and resources? Do you have someone to support you where you go to school? I’m wondering if your university has disability office where you can express your concern and they are the ones to help disabled students with various issues.

Like I said you are not alone. You are in my prayer.

God’s blessings

Back