Has anyone else had issues with captioning and paying attention?

natty_4ever

Reaction score
Today was the first time I've ever gotten captioning at school before. I am in college, and I got one/two captionists in each class. The only thing is, with about 2, maybe even 3 teachers, I find myself looking at the screen often, with one teacher I need to STARE at the screen because he seems to be Russian, his accent is HORRIBLE! I cannot understand him at all! But I'm concerned because I can't read what he puts on the board, what he points at, and read what he's saying in reference to what he points at, or look at the power point slide before he changes it. Has anyone else had an issue where they could not possibly multitask this way? Having to take notes with it is even more insane. We do not have notetakers at my university, but we do get a transcript of the captioning. However, we don't get what is on the powerpoints sometimes, or whatever the teacher uses on the computer, so it's difficult for me to pay attention to what is being said on the screen, and writing the material down.

i have the same issues in my math class that i have 'captioned'. Ask for the slides before. I find that i can read and catch up fairly quick, so i watch what he is doing on the board, then look over and read what it said.
*EQL*

i have the same issues in my math class that i have 'captioned'. Ask for the slides before. I find that i can read and catch up fairly quick, so i watch what he is doing on the board, then look over and read what it said.
*EQL*

I don't use caption, interpreter, notetakers whatsoever when I took math in college AND in public school. I don't even pay attention to the teacher. As long as they show me steps-by-steps on the board - with side notes to explain, I learn. That's what worked for me for many years. I would sit there at the board and try to figure out on my own on how he got that answer or how he got that number. Of course, the text book helps too. Usually, I make good grades in math.

I don't use caption, interpreter, notetakers whatsoever when I took math in college AND in public school. I don't even pay attention to the teacher. As long as they show me steps-by-steps on the board - with side notes to explain, I learn. That's what worked for me for many years. I would sit there at the board and try to figure out on my own on how he got that answer or how he got that number. Of course, the text book helps too. Usually, I make good grades in math.

Lol.. well.. it's not strick math, it's technically 'Biostatistics".. aka the most annoying subject ive ever had to take.
*EQL*

but yeah, that would be different when combining science and math and few other things.

This is why ASL teacher would be better.. She can sign to teach and it would be at your pace.

but yeah, that would be different when combining science and math and few other things.

This is why ASL teacher would be better.. She can sign to teach and it would be at your pace.

it would, except that im not fluent in asl :(. I'm trying to arrange sim-comm for another class though.
*EQL*

a few ideas - request the prof share the powerpoints with you BEFORE class. All of my professors do this. This way you can read it and only need to glance at the powerpoint during the class.

Get a friend to share their notes with you. Send an email to your class explaining the situation.

a few ideas - request the prof share the powerpoints with you BEFORE class. All of my professors do this. This way you can read it and only need to glance at the powerpoint during the class.

Get a friend to share their notes with you. Send an email to your class explaining the situation.

Also, many schools will arrange 'peer notetakers' for you. Most profs will give the slides before class if you explain the situation. If they refuse, talk to your access dept, they might have the power to force them to give them to you.

*EQL*

I'll try asking for the powerpoint slides beforehand tomorrow and see if he can start doing that. It's too late here for him to check his email probably. It's hard to lip read him, because he enunciates strangely and isn't totally fluent in English anyway.

I use CART too. I get a copy of the transcript and I get the notes from the teacher. There's no reason why you should be missing material because you need accommodations.

Do you have memos (504's) from the disability office? What do you mean by the university doesn't provide notetakers? It sounds like you need to request some extra accommodations.

They don't have paid notetakers at all. And there aren't any volunteers either, obviously. I do get copies of the transcripts, but I have not asked my teachers if I can get notes. I think I'll ask each teacher according to how much I miss. Like my theater class, the teacher talks so clearly, and he uses powerpoints, I only had to look at the screen once. But for chemistry, the professor's accent was just so horrible for me to try to understand, I suppose with him, I'd ask for notes.

Omg. Accents are impossible for me to lipread. I get too many doctors with accents. I mean no offense to any foreigners who choose to immigrate to the U.S., but it drives me INSANE! :rl: :pissed: Ah, well.

I remember having teachers with accents at college. Ugh. It was horrible, even though I had notetakers.

Yeah, it's impossible to lipread and take notes at the same time. And most people talk so fast. The motormouths? You'd have to give them a tranquilizer to get them to slow down there speech! Ugh. I'm going to go insane....

Sorry for the rant. :cool2:

Omg. Accents are impossible for me to lipread. I get too many doctors with accents. I mean no offense to any foreigners who choose to immigrate to the U.S., but it drives me INSANE! :rl: :pissed: Ah, well.

I remember having teachers with accents at college. Ugh. It was horrible, even though I had notetakers.

Yeah, it's impossible to lipread and take notes at the same time. And most people talk so fast. The motormouths? You'd have to give them a tranquilizer to get them to slow down there speech! Ugh. I'm going to go insane....

:rofl: sooo true!
*EQL*

accent was the reason why I dropped out of a class. I couldn't learn and I couldn't make out anything he was saying because he was from another country.

I failed high school chemistry since the teacher was from Uganda.

I've gotten the notes off of his website he told me to go to, so it's not as much of an issue so far, but then again, we've been talking about stuff I already know well, so I don't have to actually pay such strict attention.

Oh, I just remembered. When I was in college, it was mandatory to take a foreign language class for my biology major. And ASL was not even considered, despite the fact that I filed a complaint with the university. So, I ended up taking Latin, since many of the words are derived from the dead language. Well, the class was most difficult because we all had to speak in Latin. I know I totally flunked that class. My professor passed me, which I did not even expect it at all.

Back