Hard of hearing mom learning ASL with daughter

LoveMM

Reaction score
Hi guys! My name is Mailie and I'm 29 years old with a 3-year-old daughter. I'm hard of hearing and have worn hearing aids most of my life.

I learned some ASL almost 10 years ago but stopped. My daughter recently started showing interest in it when I showed her a few basic signs, so I've decided to learn it with her.

Unfortunately there aren't any meetups or clubs around where I live, so I don't know how to connect with the Deaf community in person. Instead, I figured I should try connecting online for now!

Thanks for having me!

Welcome! This site is full of people that might be able to help; what state do you live in now? Maybe someone will see this and reach out with more information.

Also, there are great resources for kiddos on Youtube where children's books are read to them in ASL. That could be fun for both of you? Also, Bill Vicars has a website/channel entirely done in sign. He is a Deaf ASL Professor that posts all his classes for free.

I hope this helps :)

Happy Holidays!

Hey there! I'm in a similar situation; HoH (hearing is getting worse) and trying to learn ASL. My kids are interested, but unfortunately resources in my area seem to be few. What have you been using so far?

Hey there! I'm in a similar situation; HoH (hearing is getting worse) and trying to learn ASL. My kids are interested, but unfortunately resources in my area seem to be few. What have you been using so far?

^ site is excellent. They cover the News in ASL. Children's books and program. Talk shows by empowered women of different ethnicities to discuss various cultures. I can't say enough good about that website.

Also...

^ Amazing Deaf Professor that posts his classes for free. GREAT resource.

Back