Handicapped Parking Permits & Deaf people

Same here, DD and RR. Broadcasting for all to see would make me feel vulnerable in certain locations. We've talked about this topic before.

...As long as you stay IN the car and calm with info out or a card saying you're deaf...then no issues.

Whether you're deaf/Deaf/hearing, if stopped by the police, the best thing to do is to sit calmly with both hands on the steering wheel until they walk up and indicate they want you to do something such as roll down the window or give them your license and registration. It's not good to be reaching for something like your wallet or license before they can see what you're doing. They may think you're going for a weapon. If it's night the advice is to turn on your interior lights immediately upon being pulled over and then put your hands back on the wheel.

Somewhere in this forum I think someone posted a video of Marlee Matlin explaining what to do when you interact with the police. There's a couple of others out there too. But Rogus is right. At the very least if you have a card explaining communication methods etc- have it in an easy spot to reach- and you can get it after police is at your window. Maybe a small card like size of driver license (as not all states would have indication if you're deaf on the DL).

I've been pulled over a couple of times, so far no issues- but still try to be careful...

I was pulled over for speeding. He let me go with warning because I was new in the area. I thought it was 40 speed zone, but he said it was 30. Curse tree for hiding the sign.

When I told him I was deaf, cop pointed a finger to his tag and his police logo, and let me know who he is. Everything was pretty peachy.

I was pulled over for speeding.
I was pulled over. Stayed in my car with both hands on the wheel. Cop came up, I told her right away that I'm deaf. She started to finger spell everything, that my lisc plate tag expired. Oh..the .. slow finger spelling...how annoying..the agony!! I couldn't bear it! I asked if we could try lip reading. Worked out just fine. I got off with a warning.

I was pulled over. Stayed in my car with both hands on the wheel. Cop came up, I told her right away that I'm deaf. She started to finger spell everything, that my lisc plate tag expired. Oh..the .. slow finger spelling...how annoying..the agony!! I couldn't bear it! I asked if we could try lip reading. Worked out just fine. I got off with a warning.
Still, she should get a point or 2 for effort.

I know a few deaf people that have handicapped parking permits/license plates.

Their states provide them for deaf people.

I find it offensive to those that really need the parking space, especially those who are in wheelchairs. If you can walk, walk.

I've heard a multitude of ridiculous excuses that got me laughing. Heard everything from "deaf people can't hear burglars sneaking up on them" all the way to "deaf people have been suffering, need a break".

So, tell me, if you have HC plates, why do you think you need them if you are physically able to walk?
WRONG! I am DEAF from birth. I do wear a hearing aid and have a cochlear implant. And yes, I can WALK. But -- I cannot follow sounds, meaning I might hear some sounds but have NO IDEA where the sounds are coming from. I rarely can hear sounds that are coming from BEHIND me. So, If I have to park FURTHER away from my walking destination, such as a mall or plaza, etc -- I am in more danger -- I cannot hear cars behind me, I cannot hear a person walking behind me who might intend me hard - assault, robbery, rape, or worse. Parking further away can also mean parking in a darker area. When I have fewer visual clues to help me navigate on foot, my balance is affected - because relying solely on my ears to help me keep my balance is NOT good -- I cannot HEAR. Thus, DEAF and even HOH people DO deserve to be permitted to park in handicapped parking spots. Just because you cannot SEE my disability does not mean I am not disabled and not deserving of having my special needs accommodated.

WRONG! I am DEAF from birth. I do wear a hearing aid and have a cochlear implant. And yes, I can WALK. But -- I cannot follow sounds, meaning I might hear some sounds but have NO IDEA where the sounds are coming from. I rarely can hear sounds that are coming from BEHIND me. So, If I have to park FURTHER away from my walking destination, such as a mall or plaza, etc -- I am in more danger -- I cannot hear cars behind me, I cannot hear a person walking behind me who might intend me hard - assault, robbery, rape, or worse. Parking further away can also mean parking in a darker area. When I have fewer visual clues to help me navigate on foot, my balance is affected - because relying solely on my ears to help me keep my balance is NOT good -- I cannot HEAR. Thus, DEAF and even HOH people DO deserve to be permitted to park in handicapped parking spots. Just because you cannot SEE my disability does not mean I am not disabled and not deserving of having my special needs accommodated.

What's wrong with your eyes?

I would suggest instead something like a yellow tag stating that the driver is Deaf or HOH, that way wherever you park drivers know to look out for you. Could be on the mirror like disability tags or on the license plates.

I have one because I have multiple health issues and all are invisible. I have to use a electric cart at the stores and I hate it because people see that I am also overweight and assume I use one because I am lazy. I have arthritis to begin with and somedays it is painful just to stand up much less walk. I also have lung issues which makes walking long distances very tiring and etc. Yes, I can still walk for short distances and people who see me get out of my car always look for that placard lol.

I would suggest instead something like a yellow tag stating that the driver is Deaf or HOH, that way wherever you park drivers know to look out for you. Could be on the mirror like disability tags or on the license plates.

Having something that pretty much lets others know that we are deaf puts us in greater danger because now they know we cannot hear them sneak up on us.

I can't argue that. It has just been my experience that most of my issues in parking lots have been from rushing drivers that assumed I could hear them.

I can't argue that. It has just been my experience that most of my issues in parking lots have been from rushing drivers that assumed I could hear them.
I doubt those kinds of drivers are thinking about your hearing or even about you. They're only interested in themselves when they drive like that.

Wow, there’s so much ignorance going around on this post. :( I’m fully aware that the original post was geared towards those who are only deaf with no other health concerns, but I saw a few replies (I don’t wish to single anyone out) commenting about young people taking advantage of the system. Listen guys, age doesn’t determine disability, period. Neither does economic status, race/ethnicity, or whether the disability is visible or invisible. I’m currently a part-time ambulatory wheelchair user. When I was a kid I had chronic pain for several years. I wasn’t less disabled back then when I wasn’t using a wheelchair than I am now when I do use one. I have never met or even heard of someone “taking advantage of the system.” It’s been my sole experience that when someone in my disability community has a placard, regardless of whether you can see their disability or not and regardless of their age, it’s because they’ve needed it. Please stop judging others and spreading harmful and false notions that people abuse the system. It’s things like this that make it nearly impossible for me to go into public without being stared at or outright harassed for being young and using my placard. Another thing I’ve seen in a few replies is the comment that, “if you can walk, then walk.” This is also really dangerous and ignorant because people like myself who are ambulatory wheelchair users often can’t walk for long distances or may be able to walk some days and not others (both of which apply to me). If I walk more than a few feet I run the risk of falling. Some days my legs are completely paralyzed, so I don’t have a choice but to use my wheelchair. There are a lot of us out there who use our mobility aids to help manage our disabilities. Everybody needs to think about these things and educate themselves before jumping to conclusions and making judgements and assumptions, please.

However, there are people, young & old, who will abuse the system, so you can’t say everyone who uses the handicap spaces are legit.

I agree that we should not judge others because we do not know why they may need a handicap placard/license plate.

Go for it. A busy parking lot is a dangerous place for a deaf person on foot.
Tell me about it - As careful as I try to be, there have been a number of times where hearing family members have pulled me out from the path of an oncoming car.

I got mine due to my mobility. Never saw if my Deaf friends have them. I am Deaf too.

I know a few deaf people that have handicapped parking permits/license plates.

Their states provide them for deaf people.

I find it offensive to those that really need the parking space, especially those who are in wheelchairs. If you can walk, walk.

I've heard a multitude of ridiculous excuses that got me laughing. Heard everything from "deaf people can't hear burglars sneaking up on them" all the way to "deaf people have been suffering, need a break".

So, tell me, if you have HC plates, why do you think you need them if you are physically able to walk?
Not everything is visible. Though they may seem to be getting them for their hearing, they probably have other health issues. Arthritis in the joints may make walking difficult, a hyper-sensitivity to certain noises or places, anxiety, heart issues, mental health problems all contribute to handicapper status.

Back