Handicapped Parking Permits & Deaf people

Wirelessly posted

Thank you for saying what I was going to say. I was two-faced about this issue before as I was in denial about my Usher's. I need to go and get my handicapped permit because I do have quite a bit of health issues that requires a shorter parking distance.

Don't be too hard on yourself, though. My Dad is going through a bit of an adjustment with the new limitations the lung disease has placed on him. He no longer has the stamina to do all the things he could do before. God Bless him, he still does what he can. However the fact remains, he's limited now. He's trying to accept it, but he gets understandably upset... and he's stubborn!

When the subject of the placard came up, the first words out of his mouth were "I don't need one." Mom looked at him like he lost his bloody mind! :giggle: They debated the issue for a few mins until he finally said..."We'll just use the one we have for Ocean..." He uses it, but begrudges it still.

It takes time to adjust to restrictions placed on one's ability to do things they once enjoyed doing before they lost whatever function they had. so, I honestly don't think it's being two-faced. It's more of a matter of adjusting to circumstances and coming to accept them in one's own time. Personally, I don't blame you for being angry or whatever other feelings you had. You certainly were entitled to them; just like my Dad is entitled to his feelings of anger and such.

Last edited:
I do know that in Missouri, there were a bunch of deaf people (25) who worked at the same manufacturing plant with my hubby. They all had handicapped parking purely due to their being deaf. I got one in Missouri when my doctor found out about my hearing loss after I went total deaf. He said it was for my safety due to a lot of issues that were going on in the area. Here in Florida, I cannot get one for just my hearing loss, but I will be getting one due to my issues with walking. My mother qualifies, but doesn't drive. She has cirrhosis of the liver. MIL has one due to knee replacements. Her brother has one due to heart issues.
Do the deaf people at your husband's plant have HC plates or hang tags on their cars? Or do they park in reserved spaces only at the plant and not in the community?

The law requires setting aside designated handicapped parking spaces for people with mobility problems. Sometimes place set aside additional spaces as a convenience for other people that aren't required by law.

For example, my church has "official" handicapped spaces marked and set aside for vehicles with HC plates and hang tags. It also has set aside "senior citizen" parking. It's not enforceable by law but it's provided as a courtesy, and used on an honor basis.

Maybe your husband's work place has done the same thing. :dunno:

I agree with you to a point. The problem is that many people who are walking around have health issues that aren't readily apparent. My Dad is one of them. He looks great at a distance, but, he has severe & chronic lung disease. He recently qualified for a handicapped placard, but since I already have one, we didn't bother with it.

You can't always tell what issue someone has which can be a curse for those who are using the placards. They are judged unfairly by others; which isn't fair for them.

True.

Yes - it bothers me when people use HC permits improperly - not only because it's "wrong" but also because I really felt that I needed a permit for a number of years before I finally got one (I didn't ask my doc for a number of years because I didn't know if I'd be approved ... when I finally asked my dr - he agreed I should have one, filled out the paperwork & I took it down to the permit office, was approved on the spot and had my permit less than 1hour from the time I asked my dr!)

When I say it bothers me when people use HC permits "improperly" what I mean is that they:
a) Have given false statements of their abilities/inabilities/limitations etc to their doctor/PT etc in order to get a permit that they (truthfully) don't meet the requirements for.

b) Use someone else's permit (friend, family etc) as their own... justifying it because they believe they "should have one, but their mean dr won't let them have one" etc.

FYI For those who are unaware - HC Permits are issued the the INDIVIDUAL - NOT the vehicle, or the family ... the HC permits are ONLY valid when the permit holder is present. For example:
1) If I leave my permit in the car and my mum borrows my car (without me coming along) SHE can NOT use the permit at all ... because she is NOT the permit holder.

2) If I decide to go out to the movies with a group of people - and they pick me up in another vehicle, I CAN take my permit with me and the driver is able to legally park in a HC permit spot (displaying MY permit) because I am with them at that time.

3) If I for some reason do not have my permit with me in my vehicle (or anyone else's for that matter) - I am NOT able to park in a HC permit parking spot (even though I am a permit holder) because the permit must be DISPLAYED to allow me to park in a HC spot. Likewise, if I forget to display my permit I CAN get a ticket ($200-800fine) - which can sometimes (but not always) be waived if you produce your official permit at police office (ie where you'd pay the ticket) if it is within a few days of acquiring the ticket.

I'm in Canada - and our requirements are effectively the same as Chipmunkis mentioned in post #12. Hoh/Deafness is NOT a valid medical reason for a permit ... and if that is filled out as a reason the permit is declined. Permits are for MOBILITY 'disabilites' only - this includes things such as: severe pain,weakness,instability if walking &/or requiring the use of a cane/walker/scooter/wheelchair &/or pulmonary issues ie shortness of breath, use of O2, COPD etc. Also there is a prevision for those who have a medical condition that makes it medically dangerous etc for one to be out in the cold/hot/sun for any amount of time either year round, or seasonally. Depending on your specific condition(s) you can be issued a "permanent permit" which is valid 24/7/365 for 3years(then is renewed), or a "temporary permit" which is only valid for certain amount of time (a number of consecutive months, or for certain months of the year). Those with severe circulation issues (like very severe Raynaud's)may be eligible for a permit ONLY during cold months as the cold can cause severe medical problems in a VERY short amount of time but NOT during the warmer months of the year (In some cases for those with "seasonal" situations a dr will fill out the form for a permanent permit but ask the person to use the 'honour system' and only use the permit during the cold months when the actually need the permit - but not in the warmer months unless they honestly need to use it

I have a permanent HC permit - but NOT because I'm Hoh/Deaf ... I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Myofascial Pain, Chronic Fatigue, Arthritis, Muscle weakness, a liver condition frequent bronchitis/pneumonia etc in the winter/cold weather ie October - March each year (causing temp COPD & shortness of breath etc) as well as a very severe case of Raynaud's disease. My Raynaud's is so severe that even with daily meds in the winter it is dangerous to be outside (even bundled up) for very long ... even just walking half the length of a parking lot. If it's -15C or more out, I can get what is basically "frostbite" on my hands and feet in less than 1min EVEN with heavy mitts/socks on the "frostbite attack" can last between 5mins and 2hours (which required the ER as the "attack" cuts off 99% of the blood flow to the affected area which then leads to cell and nerve damage and can cause the skin tissue to start to literally die) Over the years my Raynaud's has caused permanent nerve damage, peripheral neuropathy-like symptoms, altered feeling, trouble detecting hot/cold etc all of which makes the cold even MORE dangerous!
It is for all these reasons I have a HC permit (notice that Hoh/Deaf isn't anywhere on my list of 'qualifying conditions')... of course all of these are - at least the the general public - "invisible conditions" most of the time ... aside from the days that I have a slight limp/noticeable muscle weakness in my legs causing an altered gate/stride etc or when I'm getting in and out of vehicles, trying to open doors (due to global muscle weakness I open "heavy" doors 'weird' - I need to use both hands&arms to open the doors, however have a weak grip so I sort of use one hand/arm to help support the other hand/arm as it opens the door ... I'm forever looking for automatic sensor doors and the "accessible doors" that have a button you press for the door to open for you (typically used for wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, strollers etc)

Sorry that was long !

My Dad is one of them. He looks great at a distance, but, he has severe & chronic lung disease. He recently qualified for a handicapped placard, but since I already have one, we didn't bother with it.

For what it's worth ... I'd suggest reconsidering getting him his own ... here's the reasons:

Legally the your permit - is YOUR permit ... that means that in order to use it, YOU have the be in the vehicle as well - every single time. If you aren't and someone finds out not only can YOU lose your permit (violation of terms of use) but also you and whoever is driving can be fined the same amount as if they didn't have the permit at all ($200-800 in many places). Keep in mind that the permit office links your permit number with your name and often drivers license (if applicable) .. so it's easy for parking authority/police etc to "find out" if they want to.

If your dad wants to go anywhere - with friends, family etc, having his own permit means that regardless of who is driving and what vehicle they take your dad is able to use a permit spot.

If you go out - aren't feeling well - any number of things this means that depending on how your dad is doing, he either has to:
a) stay home, because the parking might be a real issue (espeically street parking, malls at Christmas, various weather conditions etc).
b) Go out, but risk wearing himself out because of the distance he might have to walk etc .. which not only may physically be draining but is also emotionally difficult/frustrating

Also - most importantly, having his own permit allows him to retain his independence. He can come and go as he pleases, is able to go out without having you along (I'm sure you're great ... but everyone needs some time "with the guys/girls" etc).

If your family makes the choice not to get him a permit of his own ... please keep in mind that legally you are required by law then to be with him wherever he goes and uses the permit. If he uses your permit without you present, he's technically breaking the law - and you letting him use your permit without being present is a violation of your "terms of agreement" for having a HC permit ... if the permit dept finds out - you may have your permit taken back (at least temporarily) and you will likely have to pay a significant fine.

It just doesn't seem "worth it" to me ... please re-consider getting your Dad his own permit (provided the dr fills out the form naming your dad as the permit holder - in most cases a family member can handle the "getting of the permit" for your dad... if that makes a difference.

One thing that might help your dad accept the idea of the permit - is to think of it as an "Ability Permit" ... having the HC permit will give him the "Ability" to park in places that allow him to enjoy his life, enjoy his family, and do more, be more independent etc :) Of course ... it might be worth playing the "Well dad, I have a HC permit... and it's doesn't make me feel ______ ... it just helps me be able to do what I want and need to do easier" card.

Here in the UK you have to have a "disabled parking permit" in order to use "disabled parking bays". While I accept that I have a disability, I certainly don't think I'm disabled, thus I couldn't justify applying for access.

Do the deaf people at your husband's plant have HC plates or hang tags on their cars? Or do they park in reserved spaces only at the plant and not in the community?

The law requires setting aside designated handicapped parking spaces for people with mobility problems. Sometimes place set aside additional spaces as a convenience for other people that aren't required by law.

For example, my church has "official" handicapped spaces marked and set aside for vehicles with HC plates and hang tags. It also has set aside "senior citizen" parking. It's not enforceable by law but it's provided as a courtesy, and used on an honor basis.

Maybe your husband's work place has done the same thing. :dunno:

At the plant, when they were still there, they all had the plates and not the hanging placards. The plant had 10 spaces designated as handicapped and they use those. The others, just parked where-ever. They did decided amongst themselves to leave 1 or 2 of the spaces available for visitors. Most everyone got laid off, including my hubby when the first auto "meltdown" started in 2004. They went from 60-80 hours weekly to 24 weekly, then all laid off. The plant moved from auto dashboards and injection molding to the molding of toothbrushes. They did not keep any of the previous employees. Some 400 people were laid off.

For what it's worth ... I'd suggest reconsidering getting him his own ... here's the reasons:

Legally the your permit - is YOUR permit ... that means that in order to use it, YOU have the be in the vehicle as well - every single time. If you aren't and someone finds out not only can YOU lose your permit (violation of terms of use) but also you and whoever is driving can be fined the same amount as if they didn't have the permit at all ($200-800 in many places). Keep in mind that the permit office links your permit number with your name and often drivers license (if applicable) .. so it's easy for parking authority/police etc to "find out" if they want to.

If your dad wants to go anywhere - with friends, family etc, having his own permit means that regardless of who is driving and what vehicle they take your dad is able to use a permit spot.

If you go out - aren't feeling well - any number of things this means that depending on how your dad is doing, he either has to:
a) stay home, because the parking might be a real issue (espeically street parking, malls at Christmas, various weather conditions etc).
b) Go out, but risk wearing himself out because of the distance he might have to walk etc .. which not only may physically be draining but is also emotionally difficult/frustrating

Also - most importantly, having his own permit allows him to retain his independence. He can come and go as he pleases, is able to go out without having you along (I'm sure you're great ... but everyone needs some time "with the guys/girls" etc).

If your family makes the choice not to get him a permit of his own ... please keep in mind that legally you are required by law then to be with him wherever he goes and uses the permit. If he uses your permit without you present, he's technically breaking the law - and you letting him use your permit without being present is a violation of your "terms of agreement" for having a HC permit ... if the permit dept finds out - you may have your permit taken back (at least temporarily) and you will likely have to pay a significant fine.

It just doesn't seem "worth it" to me ... please re-consider getting your Dad his own permit (provided the dr fills out the form naming your dad as the permit holder - in most cases a family member can handle the "getting of the permit" for your dad... if that makes a difference.

One thing that might help your dad accept the idea of the permit - is to think of it as an "Ability Permit" ... having the HC permit will give him the "Ability" to park in places that allow him to enjoy his life, enjoy his family, and do more, be more independent etc :) Of course ... it might be worth playing the "Well dad, I have a HC permit... and it's doesn't make me feel ______ ... it just helps me be able to do what I want and need to do easier" card.

I look into this further. Thank you.

EDIT:

I looked into this and you're right. Dad will get his own. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I look into this further. Thank you.

EDIT:

I looked into this and you're right. Dad will get his own. Thanks so much!

Happy to help!!

The policy is the same all across Canada (and as far as I know the USA as well).

I don't have a hc permit but reading the comments, I'd say many of you are very ignorant. There are many people with invisible disabilities and for someone to judge someone else based on just looking at someone is really ignorant. Just know when you have such a negative opinion about others don't be surprised you're put in the same situation you are treated the same. Karma isn't nice.

I don't have a hc permit but reading the comments, I'd say many of you are very ignorant. There are many people with invisible disabilities and for someone to judge someone else based on just looking at someone is really ignorant. Just know when you have such a negative opinion about others don't be surprised you're put in the same situation you are treated the same. Karma isn't nice.

To be fair, you're replying to a thread that stopped in 2010. Most of those posters aren't even here anymore. I think the majority of us who are here today are nice, decent, and kind people. A lot has changed over the years.

One of my neighbors did ask if I had a HC parking permit, (since I was deaf)?...I told her NO. It seems to me that people just assume that if you are deaf, then you should get a HC permit...Ridiculous! Walking is good for you and you don't need to be deaf to be able to walk. Even after many ear(s) surgeries, I did have some balance issues. But I had a Rollator and a Cane on the bad days when needed. Feel the HC parking spaces should be for those who truly need them, not for those who are just too lazy to walk.

Wow, reincarnating a thread that is almost eight years old might be a new record!

One of my neighbors did ask if I had a HC parking permit, (since I was deaf)?...I told her NO. It seems to me that people just assume that if you are deaf, then you should get a HC permit...Ridiculous! Walking is good for you and you don't need to be deaf to be able to walk. Even after many ear(s) surgeries, I did have some balance issues. But I had a Rollator and a Cane on the bad days when needed. Feel the HC parking spaces should be for those who truly need them, not for those who are just too lazy to walk.
So one asked me this also. I told them it was my ears that didn't work, not my legs
But there are a lot of disabilities that people can't see. My mother in law has lupus and so she uses handicap spots. People have yelled at her or left nasty notes. The worst part is she uses a cane to help her walk.

Personally, in this era of police with itchy trigger fingers. I would think that license plates stating Hard of Hearing/Deaf would be more helpful.

Personally, in this era of police with itchy trigger fingers. I would think that license plates stating Hard of Hearing/Deaf would be more helpful.

yes and no. Good for police, bad for being targeted by unscrupulous people who want to bad like rob us or something. I'd rather have that info on the driver license. As long as you stay IN the car and calm with info out or a card saying you're deaf...then no issues. Of course there will still be trigger happy/itchy trigger cops (in the minority I HOPE).

yes and no. Good for police, bad for being targeted by unscrupulous people who want to bad like rob us or something. I'd rather have that info on the driver license. As long as you stay IN the car and calm with info out or a card saying you're deaf...then no issues. Of course there will still be trigger happy/itchy trigger cops (in the minority I HOPE).
Agree...I would not "broadcast" my deafness. Not that I am ashamed of it, just feel it's a lot safer. There are so many people who would take advantage of it, robbers, muggers, rapists, etc.

Back