HAM Radio?

Sword7

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Just curious. Does anyone have any experience with HAM radio for Internet, etc? Is that good for deaf for hobby use?

Thanks,
Sword7

Ham radio as in using CB radio? I have seen hearing people who worked as truckers who used their CB radio but for deaf truckers I don't know which radio deaf truckers uses. I never heard of ham radio on internet...:shrug:

I heard of HAM radio, know a few people who use it. But not sure about the internet... I will tell you one thing... once you are registered for ham radio, anyone can find out your address by looking up your Call number (or your name)

btw, Ham radio is alot like CB for truckers... You will have to be able to listen.

Hello folks,

No, I do not think so. HAM Radio is not only voice communicatios like CB that truckers use. Amatuer Radio does support long-dstance data communication for computer/hobby use like R/C telemetry, weather balloon, etc. It uses AX.25 data communication. Search for that through google and you will find out.

Thanks,
Sword7

Last edited:
Hello folks,

Just curious. Does anyone have any experience with HAM radio for Internet, etc? Is that good for deaf for hobby use?

Thanks,
Sword7

Hi,
I am a HAM as well-N1QWU, A person has a website dedicated for the deaf or hearing impaired and HAMs. Yes you can be deaf and a HAM operator :)

http://thedeafdxer.com/

A HAM is nothing like a CB, you can use your HAM to communicate through the phone line, talk with people all around the world, remote control any RC device and so on. You can even order a pizza now since they relaxed some of the regulations. Morse code would be the only thing that might hold you back but they relaxed that requirement a while ago. 73 to you "73 means "Best Regards".

Husband - KB9KEJ - got his Tech class license in college before he wore HA's. Has severe loss. Now has General license.

Me- have LD, took test MANY times to pass, my call - KC9FZL.

Not saying EVERYONE with any challenge will do HAM, but I think with all the different options in HAM, many to most people hoh/deaf would do it, would not steer someone away just because of that.

73's

Hi,
I am a HAM as well-N1QWU, A person has a website dedicated for the deaf or hearing impaired and HAMs. Yes you can be deaf and a HAM operator :)

http://thedeafdxer.com/

A HAM is nothing like a CB, you can use your HAM to communicate through the phone line, talk with people all around the world, remote control any RC device and so on. You can even order a pizza now since they relaxed some of the regulations. Morse code would be the only thing that might hold you back but they relaxed that requirement a while ago. 73 to you "73 means "Best Regards".

My cousin is a Ham radio operator. He have two kinds of Ham radio, One is Handheld and other is desktop. I've never seen his Ham desktop.

I read that deaf people can use TTY to communicate with others. I know Ham radio have many uses.

Personally, I have old CB workstation radio. It's a 23 channel and haven't been unpacked since 1977 until my dad gave the box to me 9 years ago. I opened it and it's all in virgin packaging. It looked spanking brand new. I tested the CB radio and it still works great. I bought a short antenna with screw on BNC on its end. I did talked to trucker who are driving by nearby. It works clearly and I had to adjust squelch to get rid of static. I only use it for brief period of time then packed it away in box and let it collect dust.

Catty

There are a lot of activities that one could use ham radio for that doesn't require hearing for such as: TTY, PSK, Packet Radio, SSTV, and others. Hell, I'm sure you could rig up a light to your radio and copy CW from the light. I don't see why a deaf person couldn't be a ham op, its fun thats for sure!

73's
KD7ZRO

I'm sorry but what is HAM radio?

a good ole' fashioned radio with antenna, tuning knob, and trucker microphone. in the past - amateurs were able to communicate with astronauts in space. there are dozens of clubs devoted to this kind of hobby... typically to search for UFO

I'm sorry but what is HAM radio?

A radio inside of ham :rofl:

It's actually a bulky two way radio sits on table with lot of dials to adjust frequency, channels, fine tuner, squelch control, with several jacks to plug in. It use tall antenna that require permit from the city. I've seen tall antenna which is as tall as 50ft tree or a bit taller and require lightening protector. Ham Radio operator must have license to use it. It can receive frequency as far away as other side of the world.

Because Radio wave tend to bounce around from earth to stratosphere. It's very useful for emergency, hobby and news report if there is no other communication device than Ham radio. Often, those who live in Communist countries tend to hide Ham radio and talk with outside of their country through it but they had to be brief or else Government tracks them and destroy the equipment. It was common before Berlin Wall came down and also in WWI and WWII ect..

Catty

Do HAM radios work during and after hurricanes? If so, it would be useful for me or hubby to become an operator. All modern communication shuts down in the aftermath of a hurricane. I'm hoping that we don't get one for a long time!

Many years ago I did one of my two-week summer Reserve drills with the HAM operator at a MARS station.

NETCOM | MARS

Even more years ago, while Hubby was in WESTPAC inspecting various overseas facilities, MARS HAM was the only way we could keep in touch (no cell phones back then). He would go to a MARS station and the HAM operator would patch through the radio signal to a land-line phone. Hubby and I could have a brief chat (with everyone listening). Like TTY, we had to say "go ahead" after each response. :P

The HAM volunteers do a lot of good work in emergencies.

HAM radios comes small sizes for portable/mobile use. One can have a desk unit in their shack, as my husband does, but one can also have radios for car/boat <not same as marine radio>, and for carrying around when you are say, at mall, at park, whatever. A big part of HAM is assistance during emergencies, for which needs special training. Many times after disasters HAM units mobilize to help when cell phone and other communications services not working - it may be often the only way to get help. HAM operators also work w/local and national weather services to spot and report <but not chase or predict> severe weather before or as it is happening and during periods of weather often local groups form nets for which there is certain Morse Code signal which means severe weather net in progress, can't use the frequency except to report weather - which again is required to be done in certain way. My husband has taken part in Nets and we have both taken training for HAMs to report weather conditions.

My father was KB4UYL. The only thing I remember is the sentence we said to remember his call letter. Karl, B/4 yoU Yell, Look.

He was hoh with a very strong HA in one ear. He contracted malaria while in Japan during The Korean War and lost some hearing. He never had a problem with his radio. When he died, we sold it to the local Ham Radio Operators Club.

And you're a computer geek?

My dad taught me how to use a HAM radio in case of emergency.

Morse code too...
I am not famailar with radios and I don't care about morse code - Just 'technology gaget geek and COMPUTER, that's all.

Do HAM radios work during and after hurricanes? If so, it would be useful for me or hubby to become an operator. All modern communication shuts down in the aftermath of a hurricane. I'm hoping that we don't get one for a long time!

Yes, That's only if you have generator and if the antenna still up. If Antenna is down, you can use portable antenna and climb to top of the house and then hook it up. That's how Ham radio operator do after storm.

Catty

Back