Had my hopes up for a hearing ear dog... nope :(

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just thought i would write and tell you about some of the stuff i've been thinking about.
When it was time to move and find new roomates at the end of the last school year, i wanted to find roommates who would be okay with a dog should i decide to apply for a hearing dog. Apparently i didn't discuss this with 1 roommate; somehow it got overlooked in the excitement of possibly finding a place.
I've been really excited for the past couple weeks; I thought maybe now would be the time to apply for a hearing dog. I checked my finances; checked with everyone at home; and annonced happily to my roomies that the wait is quite short now.... thats when i discovered that i had apparently NOT discussed this with one roomie :(. She is not a fan of pets. *sigh*... alas.. no HE dog for at least a year.. too bad I got my self so excited about the propect too :(. Don't know how i made that oversight.. i mentioned it to the landlord when we first met.. not sure how i missed that one :S.. *sigh* o well... its not something worse pissing off roommates over.
Do i want one really badly: yes
do i think it will help me: yes
Am i going to piss off a roommate or landlord over it: no, just 1 more year without.

anyway, thanks for listening!
*EQL*

Did you know that the hearing dogs are not covered unless you reside alone? I looked into it a year ago but the websites I visited said one of the stipulations was you had to be residing on your own to qualify for a hearing dog

Did you know that the hearing dogs are not covered unless you reside alone? I looked into it a year ago but the websites I visited said one of the stipulations was you had to be residing on your own to qualify for a hearing dog

hmm... thats weird. The website i looked at never said that. And CHS never mentioned it. Doesn't matter anyway; i won't be getting one for a year. I will be looking into it more tho, so that in a year I can hopefully get one right away.
*EQL*

Ya just maybe double check next year when you go to apply...cuz I definitely remember reading it somewhere

yea, i will double check for sure. Maybe its that you can't be living with your parents? Seems silly to have to be on my own.. i'm on my own when roommates decide to go elsewhere for a night and whatever!
*EQL*

ya i think they figure tho if u need a hearing dog then why would u need one when you live with people because they can hear for u...which is really stupid but ya..lol

i just got a puppy and if he starts barking I know he's heard something I haven't so I just have a look around..sometimes he barks in his sleep when hes dreaming..but he's just a puppy and hes adorable

Reason they perfer you reside alone is cause the hearing ear dog has to alert you to every sound it hears. If live with parents and get a dog, parents cannot answer the door or etc till the dog alerts you to sound and lead you to it. I imagine it would be annoying to have to wait knowing that someone is at the door or etc.

Even though you won't be getting one for a while, I just want to mention that the landlord cannot bar you from owning a pet or a hearing dog. They can put a "no pets" clause in the contract. However the law will not recognize the clause. There is nothing they can do to force you to give up the dog. They only can if the dog is a nuisance to the tenants. For instance, excessive barking, aggressive behaviour, etc.

this is true...landlord and tenant law in ontario states that you may have a pet regardless of what your contract says but it wouldn't matter because hearing dogs are trained anyway they aren't gonna bark at everything

I am so sorry that happened! I understand how you could have overlooked telling them, that has happened to me before. Where were you looking to adopt your dog? I am sure the year will pass quickly and you will have the dog of your dreams! Blessings to you and I hope it all works out! =)

Back