Hacking competition leaves Android and Windows Phone 7 undefeated.

Sounds good to me about the Android for now though they both are quite new so the hackers just need some time learning how to crack them. I think it will happen though hope it gets harder for them, the better I hope so.

MAC with Safari gets lot easier for them to crack nowadays (for a sample).

One great hacker recently stated that the Macs are like the farmhouses out in the deep country without bars and locks while the Windows are like the houses in the deep crime zones with bars and many locks. hmm

So after all, we ought to expect Windows 7 and Android might be cracked someday, if not much later. Both are quite new and fewer customers but rapidly growing in numbers for sure.

I always believed Windows to be more prone to hacks than Mac as IE is used for nearly every function of the system and it is deeply rooted into the system whereas Mac's Safari isn't. Guess I was wrong?

I always believed Windows to be more prone to hacks than Mac as IE is used for nearly every function of the system and it is deeply rooted into the system whereas Mac's Safari isn't. Guess I was wrong?

Yep, true that it was so but things changed over the time.

In the past there are too many Windows users which attracted to the hackers, obviously... not only that but Windows with IE (pre-IE 8) was so exposed "like a back door without a lock" which it made easier for them to crack.

Now IE 8 and 9 are both open browsers which sufficiently improved its security unlike before.

Also there are more and more MAC users that attracts hackers, likewise. I think the Safari is the problem just like the older IE versions for the Windows were. They also knew that many MAC users still think they're as safe as before but ain't so anymore. There are several articles popping up about it as of late... how interesting the times changes since then!

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

web730 said:

Yep, true that it was so but things changed over the time.

In the past there are too many Windows users which attracted to the hackers, obviously... not only that but Windows with IE (pre-IE 8) was so exposed "like a back door without a lock" which it made easier for them to crack.

Now IE 8 and 9 are both open browsers which sufficiently improved its security unlike before.

Also there are more and more MAC users that attracts hackers, likewise. I think the Safari is the problem just like the older IE versions for the Windows were. They also knew that many MAC users still think they're as safe as before but ain't so anymore. There are several articles popping up about it as of late... how interesting the times changes since then!

:lol: buy me a antivirus and spyware app for me that runs on my Mac. That way, I can show there are zero since a year. Altho, internet security is a different story.

However a virus or malware that can damage Windows OS can sit on a Mac for years and years and not affect a single thing.

Dixie said:
However a virus or malware that can damage Windows OS can sit on a Mac for years and years and not affect a single thing.

Dixie, yes because the viruses and malware are designed to work on Windows PC. Mac is gaining popularity pretty swiftly, we'll see if it will be a virus and malware threat. So far, I dont know yet for sure.

Dixie, yes because the viruses and malware are designed to work on Windows PC. Mac is gaining popularity pretty swiftly, we'll see if it will be a virus and malware threat. So far, I dont know yet for sure.

This could be interesting. If I ever have the opportunity for a full desktop computer, I intend to purchase a Mac. I know they are a bit expensive but from what I have hear from actual users, it's well worth the expense.

Yep, all of windows (95/XP/Vista/W7) very easy infected, fly-by downloads and etc would be get bloated scripts causing slow windows down.

Throw the windows out and install the linux on your pc or get a mac computer.

My Sony lappy soon be retired that I installed linux since 2005 after 3 years of XP till HD died and new HD installed and install linux on it.

There has been infected on MAC, just mostly targeting on Gov/Corp sectors.
Also interesting note that Android are more open source than MS and IOS and they still cound't hack Android? Amazing.

On Mac OS 9 and earlier. There have been only less than 40 viruses. On Mac OS X and later had less than 5 viruses, so far I know unless Im wrong. On Windows, there is more than 50,000 threats.

On Mac OS 9 and earlier. There have been only less than 40 viruses. On Mac OS X and later had less than 5 viruses, so far I know unless Im wrong. On Windows, there is more than 50,000 threats.

Which is why I run a firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, and a secondary complementary anti-virus program. What one misses, the other generally catches. The desktop was infected with a trojan horse a couple of years ago. At the time I had my wifi turned on and my laptop was running. Took me all of 2 secs to shut it down. I pulled the phone cord out of the wall, and disconnected the wireless router. The culprit? My dad visited a website that he was warned by the anti-virus software to not go to. He clicked 'continue to website'. I nearly killed him. He hasn't pulled that number since. He very easily could have wrecked two expensive computers.

Dixie said:

Which is why I run a firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, and a secondary complementary anti-virus program. What one misses, the other generally catches. The desktop was infected with a trojan horse a couple of years ago. At the time I had my wifi turned on and my laptop was running. Took me all of 2 secs to shut it down. I pulled the phone cord out of the wall, and disconnected the wireless router. The culprit? My dad visited a website that he was warned by the anti-virus software to not go to. He clicked 'continue to website'. I nearly killed him. He hasn't pulled that number since. He very easily could have wrecked two expensive computers.

Damn! Good thing my parents use a Mac, lol

Question, how did it take just 2 seconds for you to do that? Were you watching behind your dads back?

Yes, I happened to be sitting in the recliner when I looked over at about the time he said 'shit' and I saw the warning on the screen. I flung out of that recliner and pulled the phone cord out of the wall. I then told him to get up and I just ripped the cord out of the back of the router. Mom was on the couch and she was just like WTF is going on over there?

After I disconnected things I asked him what he did. He told me he was trying to access an airplane website and a little box popped up that said "This page contains files that are executable, do you wish to continue?" He clicked 'continue'. I told him there's a reason why that little box appeared and that if he can't do any better than that, he has no business on the computer. He was mad but at least the desktop and laptop were saved. I spent the remainder of the night running virus scans on both computers and thankfully the desktop anti-virus software caught it and 'vaulted' it.

Yes. You don't want them to be killed. :shock:

Yep, less tech support for me and dealing with tech support or whatever as well. They have an iMac. It's their 3rd Mac now on their own. This Mac Mini is my 5th Mac. tho, not counting the first and second Mac was a family computer. We have never owned a Windows PC computer...before that we had an Atari 1040ST which was the first family computer.

I don't run any antivirus or firewall software on my Windows 7 PCs (desktop and laptop). I prefer to not slow down my computer, and Chrome has had enough security to notify me in advance on the (very rare) off chance that I stumble across a website that could do any harm.

I've been infected 2-3 times. Every time, it was from downloading software from... less than savory sources of the web, and not running them in a VM first.

Back