HA vs CI"s

Glad the Naidas work well for you. The properly down to sound recover helping your severly sloping loss, if I remember rightly that's your loss.

If you will only get one CI then the AB CI will link with the Naida HA which I think is awesome :)

Glad the Naidas work well for you. The properly down to sound recover helping your severly sloping loss, if I remember rightly that's your loss.

If you will only get one CI then the AB CI will link with the Naida HA which I think is awesome :)

I'm hoping they work. The way they were set today they will not work well outside of a sound booth. It will just depend on how much they can fine tune them so closing doors don't sound like gun shots going off in the room. I can get my speech sounds turned up in the HA's I have now, but then all of the other noise is WAY too loud too. The Audi did say that the Naida's were really designed for people with my sloping loss though.

I'm hoping they work. The way they were set today they will not work well outside of a sound booth. It will just depend on how much they can fine tune them so closing doors don't sound like gun shots going off in the room. I can get my speech sounds turned up in the HA's I have now, but then all of the other noise is WAY too loud too. The Audi did say that the Naida's were really designed for people with my sloping loss though.

Yea Naidas are the most powerful and they have sound recover which really help people with a sloping loss.

I personally find SR not too work for me as I have a flat loss but I'm glad they work for you and fingers crossed outside in noise they work as well.

Outside noises will be loud at first, but you most likely will adjust (your brain will adjust) to them. New HAs always have a period of adjustment, both for your brain and for the audi to tweak. When you get them, keep a notebook of what bothers you and what you like about them. This will make it easier for you to remember when you go for adjustments.

Outside noises will be loud at first, but you most likely will adjust (your brain will adjust) to them. New HAs always have a period of adjustment, both for your brain and for the audi to tweak. When you get them, keep a notebook of what bothers you and what you like about them. This will make it easier for you to remember when you go for adjustments.

I have an app on my phone that I use to keep notes :D. I had my current HA's adjusted like these were and the outside noises were just painful. I wore them like that for a month and just couldn't get used to the noise. I hope these are better but we will see.

Just got back from my second opinion. I like this clinic MUCH better. They have more people getting CI's so just more experience. They use all 3 brands so another plus. Also, she had me test with a different hearing aid, Nadida's (or however that is spelled). I noticed a HUGE difference in speech perception from the first words out of her mouth--however, the background noise was LOUD. She just adjusted them based on my hearing exam so they were not adjusted properly. I went from 15% with my HA's to 66% with those (listening with both in at the same time). She wants me to try them to see if I can get good results with the different technology in those vs the Starkey's I have. I was really kind of disappointed that I couldn't wear them home they were that much better.

I am going to try those for about 6 weeks to see if I like them and then decide if getting a CI is still something I want to go. She guesses what will probably happen is I will get the CI in my right ear and keep the HA for my left. I'd be ok with that.

She also was going to suggest, before we even talked, that I consider waiting until the new AB implant comes out because it's really designed for people like me. She said that with the Med-El they would not use the longer array for me anyway so they could try to preserve my low end hearing so the benefit of that pretty much is out the window. I'm pretty sure I would get the AB now. I ran through my car analogy with her and she said I was pretty spot on with the differences between the various brands so I'm more comfortable with my research and decision.

So, I go back in 2 weeks (soonest I could get in with the HA tech audi whatever that she wants me to work with) to get fit/molds done and then May 9th get the demos to try.

From what people here have said about these HA, I wasn't surprised with the difference I noticed.

I bet you have the same audi I had. She's pretty fabulous. (Unless you are at a different clinic than I was at -- I asked but you didn't reply, but I was guessing.) Anyway, if it is the same audi I'm thinking of, she is really great!

I bet you have the same audi I had. She's pretty fabulous. (Unless you are at a different clinic than I was at -- I asked but you didn't reply, but I was guessing.) Anyway, if it is the same audi I'm thinking of, she is really great!

I don't think I saw the post where you asked. Which clinic are you at?

I don't think I saw the post where you asked. Which clinic are you at?

Mine was at the U of M. (This was several years ago. I don't go there anymore, I just go to a regular audi (love her!) for my HA stuff.)

No, but I met her. Mine was Emily. So are you getting a CI at the U of M then?

Edit: Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if it was Dianna. The name is familiar, but I'm not 100% sure.

No, but I met her. Mine was Emily. So are you getting a CI at the U of M then?

Edit: Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if it was Dianna. The name is familiar, but I'm not 100% sure.

If I get CI's I will get them at the U of MN. It's on hold until I see if the different HA's can help me.

This is precisely what happened to me. A CI is a big step, be sure it is the best option. then you got the problem of picking which type of CI.

Well, I tried a second set of the Q's to see if there was something wrong with the first and it was the same thing--total static anytime there was a sound. I'm keeping the Q's I have for a couple more weeks and then it's off to CI land. Waiting for the new AB mid-scala implant to be approved since it sounds like it's made for people like me that have some residual hearing to preserve. I have follow up appointments scheduled for late June, with an anticipated FDA approval sometime in July. If anyone has any updated information on that, I would really like to know.

Opinions needed--my hearing loss on paper is almost identical. My right ear, on paper, is slightly worse than my left ear. In real life, however, I feel like my right ear is stronger. If I am walking at the mall, for example, I try to keep people on my right side because I feel I can hear--understand--them better on that side. If I have to talk on the phone, I use my right ear--I tried my left ear again the other day and it's just not quite as good. I'm sure the dr will have something to say about this but if you were me, which ear would you implant first and why?

Not a great quality scan but here is my latest hearing test.

hoh-me-albums-hearing-test-picture5962-2012-hearing-test-2.pdf

whoa! the left ear going down sounds a little like my left except it went down at the 6000 hz range (not that far, just a little dip) so it stopped and pointed at the 100 db mark.

crazy enough for ya? lol

wow but the one pointing down? little bit like mine except it's a tiny dip, not a big one like yours though!

That's one serious ski slope you got going on there, and I see why you'd want to save some of your residual hearing, there's a lot of letters between 250 nd 500 hz that can be heard between 30 and 50 dbs. I wonder if one of those hybrid CI's woud help you, but I also don't know if they're covered under insurance and are FDA approved so that might be completely moot anyway.

Back