HA vs CI"s

if you should decide to go for AB, and you are given the option of 2 processors, you can get the Neptune, then wait until summer when the new Naida CI is approved and available (you'd get a voucher at the time you order your CI products). Or you could get a Harmony, and trade it in for the new one at no cost. AB also has a new internal implant too I think, but I don't remember much of the details on that. Also a new processing strategy, which gives much better performance without affecting the battery life (Optima), which I'm hearing won't be available until summer when the new BTE is ready to go. Lots of new stuff from AB, which is exciting.

I know Cochlear has a new BTE in the works (Nucleus 6), and Med-El with their Rondo. But I don't know anything more than that as I don't follow these 2 as much since I'm an AB user.

if you should decide to go for AB, and you are given the option of 2 processors, you can get the Neptune, then wait until summer when the new Naida CI is approved and available (you'd get a voucher at the time you order your CI products). Or you could get a Harmony, and trade it in for the new one at no cost. AB also has a new internal implant too I think, but I don't remember much of the details on that. Also a new processing strategy, which gives much better performance without affecting the battery life (Optima), which I'm hearing won't be available until summer when the new BTE is ready to go. Lots of new stuff from AB, which is exciting.

I know Cochlear has a new BTE in the works (Nucleus 6), and Med-El with their Rondo. But I don't know anything more than that as I don't follow these 2 as much since I'm an AB user.

Is the new AB processor actually called the Naida CI?! Good way of merging the names together :)

Is it worth waiting for the new implant or will that have no real effect on the new processor? I know at the old clinic I would get 2 processors, assuming the same at the new clinic.

As NaidaUP said, there isn't a new implant tied in with the new processor. Even when Cochlear does this, they are simply repackaging the same internal design they've had since the 1990's. It's more about marketing than actual technology advancement.

On the topic of music, you may be interested in reading this blog from an audio engineer who was recently implanted: Audiodef's Blog

Ok, another question--how did the billing at your CI center work? Were you billed in a lump sum for the surgery, etc. and that just included all the mapping or do you pay for the the mapping sessions as you go (co-pay or whatever you have for insurance)? Timing is goofy but we have the option to switch to another plan next month so I'm trying to figure out if I should stay on the current plan or move over. I have a call into the clinic but I think they are gone for the weekend. I understand that it might vary from clinic to clinic.

As NaidaUP said, there isn't a new implant tied in with the new processor. Even when Cochlear does this, they are simply repackaging the same internal design they've had since the 1990's. It's more about marketing than actual technology advancement.

On the topic of music, you may be interested in reading this blog from an audio engineer who was recently implanted: Audiodef's Blog

This blog WAS helpful, thank you!!

I think what I want is Med-el's longer array with the AB technology--

yeah you won't be able to use Med-El's longer array implant with the AB technoloy, it just doesn't work that way.

As for billing, the equipment is lumped in with the surgery bill (at least that's how it was done with my CI surgery), and the MAPping appointments are billed separately. Check with your insurance coverage regarding coverage and co-pays. I don't pay anything as Medicare covers 80% and Medicaid covers the rest for me.

yeah you won't be able to use Med-El's longer array implant with the AB technoloy, it just doesn't work that way.

As for billing, the equipment is lumped in with the surgery bill (at least that's how it was done with my CI surgery), and the MAPping appointments are billed separately. Check with your insurance coverage regarding coverage and co-pays. I don't pay anything as Medicare covers 80% and Medicaid covers the rest for me.

The surgery itself will eat up all of our out of pocket costs unless I move to a new insurance plan :D so the mapping for the rest of the year will be covered at 100%--new deductibles, etc. in 2014 though.

This blog WAS helpful, thank you!!

I think what I want is Med-el's longer array with the AB technology--

On the comparison chart, take a look at what's under research and development at the bottom for AB.

They don't need the longer array.

On the comparison chart, take a look at what's under research and development at the bottom for AB.

They don't need the longer array.

I was checking that out last night after you posted the link....it got me wondering if the new electrodes might work better in my cochlea if there's any damage from my otosclerosis.

A bit soon, I know, but how are you liking actually hearing without anything on your ear? Or are you using the T-Comm as well?
I'm using the T-Comm! It alone irritates my incision, so I'm very happy it's so tiny and lightweight, and that I could be activated with the Neptune!
Alex, what colors did you decide to get for your processors? :D
Wild Violet, Tropical Sea, and white (comes with Connect). I blinged hem out with nail sticker today :P
Ok, another question--how did the billing at your CI center work? Were you billed in a lump sum for the surgery, etc. and that just included all the mapping or do you pay for the the mapping sessions as you go (co-pay or whatever you have for insurance)? Timing is goofy but we have the option to switch to another plan next month so I'm trying to figure out if I should stay on the current plan or move over. I have a call into the clinic but I think they are gone for the weekend. I understand that it might vary from clinic to clinic.
We still haven't been billed :duck: So not only do we not know how much the surgery will cost us, but I don't know the answer to your question either! I would guess cdmeggars is right, because I have to sign a new "I promise I'm responsible for whatever insurance doesn't pay" papers at every appointment.

I didn't get an actual bill, just a statement from Medicare with the total costs and what they covered, and they said the remaining costs would be billed to Medicaid and should Medicaid not cover them, then I'd have to pay. I never got any statements or mail from Medicaid. Took about a month or 2 before I got the statement in the mail from Medicare.

I was checking that out last night after you posted the link....it got me wondering if the new electrodes might work better in my cochlea if there's any damage from my otosclerosis.

I wish I could answer that. :( I do believe they have a split array in the works. From what I understand, split arrays are what people with ossified cochleas require. Cochlear is the only one with it at the moment. Hopefully, you won't have any ossification and you will have your pick.

buhaha I had ossification in my left cochlea, but my surgeon was able to drill through it and get the AB electrode array in. Leave it to me to make things difficult (MRI didn't catch the ossification). But yeah, I worried I wouldn't be able to use the AB implant and have to use MedEl or Cochlear for a while before I had the CT and MRI scans. glad the surgeon was able to work his magic.

If I might say so myself, EXCELLENT choice of colors!! :cool2:

Hahaha!! Thanks!! Just updated my avatar to a pic of my CI with the violet covers from yesterday :) Had the blue on today as it matched my outfit :)

Ok--I just really wish I understood this better. Since you do, how would you rate them on a scale of 1-10, ten being the best. Is AB say an 8, Med-el a 6, etc?

Not sure if I know of a list like that. But I can tell you that with my ci-512 internals and N5 Processor.I can tell when my bacon is done frying just by the sound of it. From the other room , if I want.

Just had the other side done with the cr24re internals. only recently activated so I have no real opinion on any differences yet.

I lost my hearing progressively after high school .. So I have a good memory of sound. The best way I can describe the sounds I hear now , via my implants , would be that they are in black and white vs the color it used to be.Over time there is information in the grey and even some sounds that are starting to become faded colors. I doubt it will ever be as rich a sound as I think I remember.But so far It is pretty darn good.

Not sure if I know of a list like that. But I can tell you that with my ci-512 internals and N5 Processor.I can tell when my bacon is done frying just by the sound of it. From the other room , if I want.

Just had the other side done with the cr24re internals. only recently activated so I have no real opinion on any differences yet.

I lost my hearing progressively after high school .. So I have a good memory of sound. The best way I can describe the sounds I hear now , via my implants , would be that they are in black and white vs the color it used to be.Over time there is information in the grey and even some sounds that are starting to become faded colors. I doubt it will ever be as rich a sound as I think I remember.But so far It is pretty darn good.

I wouldn't be able to hear bacon frying from the other room at all so that would be an improvement over my HA's alone. I guess that pretty much sums up what other's have said about Cochlear--it does the job, it just doesn't get fine tuned as much as other brands for people like me.

Just got back from my second opinion. I like this clinic MUCH better. They have more people getting CI's so just more experience. They use all 3 brands so another plus. Also, she had me test with a different hearing aid, Nadida's (or however that is spelled). I noticed a HUGE difference in speech perception from the first words out of her mouth--however, the background noise was LOUD. She just adjusted them based on my hearing exam so they were not adjusted properly. I went from 15% with my HA's to 66% with those (listening with both in at the same time). She wants me to try them to see if I can get good results with the different technology in those vs the Starkey's I have. I was really kind of disappointed that I couldn't wear them home they were that much better.

I am going to try those for about 6 weeks to see if I like them and then decide if getting a CI is still something I want to go. She guesses what will probably happen is I will get the CI in my right ear and keep the HA for my left. I'd be ok with that.

She also was going to suggest, before we even talked, that I consider waiting until the new AB implant comes out because it's really designed for people like me. She said that with the Med-El they would not use the longer array for me anyway so they could try to preserve my low end hearing so the benefit of that pretty much is out the window. I'm pretty sure I would get the AB now. I ran through my car analogy with her and she said I was pretty spot on with the differences between the various brands so I'm more comfortable with my research and decision.

So, I go back in 2 weeks (soonest I could get in with the HA tech audi whatever that she wants me to work with) to get fit/molds done and then May 9th get the demos to try.

From what people here have said about these HA, I wasn't surprised with the difference I noticed.

Back