Premium Member
Reaction score
CNN.com - Gunman, hostage dead after high school siege - Sep 27, 2006

Story Highlights

• NEW: Gunman kills himself, female hostage, police say
• Authorities say they do not yet know of a motive
• The gunman held 2 female hostages after releasing 4 others, police say
• Bomb squad, SWAT team and ATF agents were on the scene

CNN) -- An armed standoff at a high school in Bailey, Colorado, ended after three hours Wednesday with a hostage and the gunman dead.

A girl who was shot by the gunman died about 4:30 p.m. (6:30 p.m. ET) at the hospital after a helicopter transported her there, said Bev Lilly, a spokeswoman for St. Anthony Central Hospital in Denver.

Police said earlier they believed the girl was 16. She was shot as police stormed the room where the gunman was holding hostages, police said. The gunman then shot himself.

Sheriff Fred Wegener of the Park County Sheriff's Department said it appeared the suspect shot one of the two female hostages -- a student -- and then shot himself when SWAT team officers approached.

Wegener said the gunman's identity and motive were not yet known.

The decision to act came after the gunman broke off negotiations and "set a deadline," the sheriff said.

"We looked at the situation and [the gunman's] behavior, which was becoming more and more agitated," Wegener said.

"It was then decided that a tactical solution needed to be done in an effort to save the two hostages that were in the room," he said. "Entry was made. The suspect shot one of the hostages and then shot himself -- that's what it looks like at this time."

Asked what the deadline was for, Wegener said he was not sure. "Most of the demands, he wanted us to back off," he said.

Investigators were attempting to determine, among other things, how the gunman entered the building, he said.

The gunman had a backpack and told police there was a bomb in it, Wegener said. "It looks like there was nothing in the backpack," he said, although the man did have a handgun.

He fired one shot as he entered the classroom, Wegener said.

The gunman had been holding the hostages in a second-floor classroom, Jefferson County sheriff's spokeswoman Jacki Kelley said earlier Wednesday. Six hostages were initially taken, but four of them were released, she said.

"We have almost no information on the suspect, almost nothing," Kelley told reporters. "We don't know who he is. We don't know what he wants."

A bomb squad, SWAT team and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were dispatched to the scene, Kelley said.

Early in the situation, negotiations with the gunman were "sporadic," Kelley said. She added later that negotiators had spoken to the gunman from a hallway and via telephone, but police were trying to establish a "more reliable means of communication."

The lack of information from police and the school system concerned parents who have children at the school, according to the Denver Post.

"We've had no phone calls from the district. We don't know what's going on," said Pat Bramelette, who has two children, one attending the high school, one in middle school.

His wife, Susan, told the newspaper, "The most I got was off the bottom of the TV screen."

Sally Impson told the Denver Post that she hopes her 17-year-old son, Andrew, will find a way to contact her, although his cell phone doesn't work in the school and the road to the school is shut down.

"I'm so shook," she said. "It's just scary. You don't know what's going on. You hear shots are fired. I hope to God that everything is OK."

The 450 students at Platte Canyon High School and the 340 youngsters at the adjacent Fitzsimmons Middle School were evacuated, officials said. (Watch students board a bus to safety -- 1:11 )

The students were evacuated to a safe place about 12:10 p.m. (2:10 p.m. ET), the Park County School District superintendent's office said.

Bailey is about 45 miles southwest of Denver. It also lies about 40 miles southwest of Littleton, Colorado, which is where two students killed 13 people at Columbine High School in 1999.

[sarcasm]whatever happened to the days when kids didn't need bulletproof vests to go to school[/scarasm]

There are so many mentally illness people are around, maybe your neighbors? :cool:

[sarcasm]whatever happened to the days when kids didn't need bulletproof vests to go to school[/scarasm]

Tell me about it. I dont know whats more dangerous...kids on the road driving to school or actually being at school...and yes, i am being sarcasting..our schools are relatively safe..education on the other hand is a different story.

and Colorado seems to get the worst of it.

Tell me about it. I dont know whats more dangerous...kids on the road driving to school or actually being at school...and yes, i am being sarcasting..our schools are relatively safe..education on the other hand is a different story.

back in the olden days when I walk to school 5 miles up hill both ways...
The NJ edjurkermaction systerm was passing kids through High School that couldn't even read. Still not getting any better...

Yeah, we even had a gunman who shot and then committed suicide in Montreal a couple weeks ago. What a pyscho he was. Judging by what he posted on the web.

Though, it is nowhere as common for a student to carry a gun into a school as it is in the USA. Apparently it's a social condition that need to be pinned onto.

Yeah, It is atrocious to see something like that happen when they very well know that the education is always the number one priority and yet, it happens. Some of the school has already have metal detectors, security guards, so and on but it is not the solution. It might help reduce the problem but I don't see it as a complete solution. Some of the school has established a clear-visible backpack policy and only bringing books to the classrooms. Those ideas are good but on the other hand, it takes one to know how horrendous that this had to happen like this. I am also aware that some of the school could not even afford to include the security in their budget but what can they do? All they can do is try to seek for the best as they can.

I can still remember when schools used to teach rifle and archery lessons for competition, skill and responsiblity. Nobody got hurt. Come hunting season alittle before that, schools would teach Hunter's Ed. classes so that everybody could go deer hunting.

Normal people do not walk into a school and open fire. Normal people leave guns at home for hunting or self defense.

Sad to read that a small girl's life was taken. He murdered her all for what and left a multidute of families heartbroken and in deep abiding grief over their children being injuried or dead all for what ????

If he wanted to end his life, I am not encouraging suicide nor approve of suicide at all. He could have done everybody a favor and turn the gun on himself at home in private. School is absoutely no place to be commiting suicide nor to be commiting suicide in front of the kids at all anywhere else either for that matter.

it is so sad to hear that this incident happened.. made me wonder why he went to the school. it said he is older? what does he have to do with the school and why he did that? i wonder? hmm..

Wanna know why this is happening? ITS LIBERALISM!!!!

And you can Blame TELEVISON & MOVIES. Back in the 1950s you didnt have sex and gang volence you saw on TV.Every show was based on family values.Just like ""Leave it to beaver"" ""Ozzie & Harriett"" "" I Love Lucy"" Even Music was Clean like ""Bill Haley & the Comets"" ""ELVIS"" ""Chuck Berry"" "" Jerry Lee Lewis"" Theres not one word describes Volence,Sex or Profanity in those songs.Even Late Night TV was viewed by the censor board.Plus Cops did their jobs back then, We didnt have Liberal Miranda Warning,We didnt have Liberal Serch Warrants and We didnt have Liberal Miranda Rights.Even Back in those days it was tough for defense lawyers to get you off the hook.Back in those days LAW Really did protect the Innocent,,Now it frees the guilty.The only way Cops can protect people is be like DIRTY HARRY.The only thing Harry Callahan understands is crooks dont play by the rules and the only way to get the crooks is lower his self to their level.
Like this
YouTube - Dirty Harry - Dog Sh*t & Coffee

YouTube - Dirty Harry - The most powerful handgun in the world

YouTube - Clint Eastwood "Dirty Harry"

And you can Blame TELEVISON & MOVIES. Back in the 1950s you didnt have sex and gang volence you saw on TV.Every show was based on family values.Just like ""Leave it to beaver"" ""Ozzie & Harriett"" "" I Love Lucy"" Even Music was Clean like ""Bill Haley & the Comets"" ""ELVIS"" ""Chuck Berry"" "" Jerry Lee Lewis"" Theres not one word describes Volence,Sex or Profanity in those songs.Even Late Night TV was viewed by the censor board.Plus Cops did their jobs back then, We didnt have Liberal Miranda Warning,We didnt have Liberal Serch Warrants and We didnt have Liberal Miranda Rights.Even Back in those days it was tough for defense lawyers to get you off the hook.Back in those days LAW Really did protect the Innocent,,Now it frees the guilty.The only way Cops can protect people is be like DIRTY HARRY.The only thing Harry Callahan understands is crooks dont play by the rules and the only way to get the crooks is lower his self to their level.
Like this

You do have a good point. Don't forget Charles Bronson. He is also one of my favorites too. :) :thumb:

You do have a good point. Don't forget Charles Bronson. He is also one of my favorites too. :) :thumb:

Charles Bronson Played the Vigilante.And that too.Like Bernard Goetz Had the right idea by shooting 4 muggers on the subway which police werent doing their jobs to protect him from the muggers.

Like this

Don't blame TV but parents... It's parents who allow their children to watch volience movies?

It's very sad... :(

It could be that he suffer emotional mental health...

An update

CNN.com - Colorado sheriff: High school assault of 'sexual nature' - Sep 28, 2006

Colorado sheriff: High school assault of 'sexual nature'
POSTED: 12:42 p.m. EDT, September 28, 2006

Story Highlights
• NEW: Police search gunman's car, where he appeared to be living
• Slain hostage Emily Keyes, 16, used as "human shield," shot in back of head
• Suspect identified as Duane Morrison, 53
• Witness: Gunman forced males out of Bailey, Colorado, classroom

BAILEY, Colorado (CNN) -- A gunman who killed a student hostage and then himself during a high school standoff in Colorado "traumatized and assaulted" his hostages and the attack "was of a sexual nature," police said Thursday.

Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener identified the gunman as Duane Morrison, 53.

After police stormed the classroom and Morrison's body was removed, Wegener said authorities found a semi-automatic pistol and a revolver. (Watch sheriff reveal what made him order the raid -- 3:05)

A witness to the standoff said the gunman wanted to take only girls hostage.

Cassidy Grigg, 16, told NBC's "Today" that the man first forced the male students to leave the classroom when he took a class hostage Wednesday afternoon at Platte Canyon High School, in Bailey, southwest of Denver.

Grigg said the man fired a warning shot while entering the classroom and told students to line up facing the chalkboard. (Watch what questions remain about the gunman -- 0:56)

"He was going from right to left and he tapped me on the shoulder and he told me to leave the room," Grigg told "Today."

"I couldn't turn around and I told him, you know, I said, 'I don't want to leave,'" Grigg said.

"It was apparent to me that he wanted the females in the class. He turned me around and he pointed the gun in my face and told me that it would be a good idea if I just left."

As he left the classroom, Grigg said, another female student was just coming in the door. He pushed her out of the doorway and they left the building together, he said.

Grigg said his initial reaction was to stay in the room with the female students.

"I wanted the girls to have some support in the room," he said.

The man held as many as six girls hostage and had released four, one at a time, before police stormed the classroom. The gunman fatally shot 16-year-old Emily Keyes, who Grigg said "was one of my first friends." (Read how Keyes will be remembered as a 'great kid')

"She was always sweet, she always welcomed people," he said. "She was just friendly, she was a good person in general."

Grigg said no one recognized the man, who he said was trying to look like a student by carrying a backpack and wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

"He was just an old guy that came on a mission and I think he got what he wanted," he said.

The man, who was holding two hostages when SWAT police stormed the room, shot Keyes in the back of the head, officials said. The gunman then shot himself. Keyes was pronounced dead at a hospital in Denver.

Joe Morales, executive director of Colorado's Department of Public Safety, told reporters the man was using Keyes as a shield, and she was shot as she tried to escape.

Morales said police heard the two hostages screaming before they entered the classroom, something that "moved up the tempo of the operation a bit."

Negotiations with the gunman broke down when he began relaying demands through the hostages and then threatened that something would happen at 4 p.m., Wegener said Wednesday.

"It was then decided that a tactical solution needed to be done in an effort to save the two hostages that were in the room," Wegener said.

'Scared to death'
Authorities have searched Morrison's car, in which he appeared to be living, the sheriff said.

Wegener said the suspect did not have much of a criminal history and only minor things were on his record.

Bailey is not far from Columbine, where two students killed 12 classmates and a teacher before killing themselves in 1999.

"I know we talk about the Columbine connection," Wegener said. "This is something that has changed my school, changed my community.

"My small county is gone," he added.

"I've gone from upset to angry that this man has done this to our community, has done this to our children," Wegener said.

On Wednesday, Wegener said he was "scared to death" as he was deciding whether to order police to storm the classroom.

"Nobody wants anything to happen like this at their school," said Wegener. He said his own son was in the building. Asked whether he was second-guessing his decision, Wegener said, "I have to go and eventually I have to face a family about the fact their daughter is dead. So what would you do?"

When police arrived, the gunman told them he had a bomb in his backpack, Wegener said, but after it was over, he said, "It looks like there was nothing in the backpack."

I'm sure TV and "libruls" were responsible for the likes of Al Capone, Albert Fish, Billy the Kid, Bloody Queen Mary and the legendary Countess Elizabeth Bathory. :roll:

Violent and bloodthirsty people and those with dark intentions have always been with us. What does TV and liberals have to do with the violent nature of humans?

Don't blame TV but parents... It's parents who allow their children to watch volience movies?

That's true, it better not allow children to watch violence movies but depends on their behavior and if not right then need see counselor and start therapy to improving their behavior. I remember that one 9 years old black guy that he's from Compton in early 90's (around 1992) and he was watch violence show on tv then interesting about want join crip gangs then they found out about his behavior seems aggressive to go school and forced him to see counselor and start therapy with his behavior. Now, he was relocated to San Bernardino County and live with foster parent. That's not good for him to raise with bad parent, not surprised about his father is associate with gangs. I got sad stories from my friend at school and he was grew up in Compton then now he live in nice suburb area because his parent don't like Compton.

Back