Guide Dog coats

toffeekukki

Reaction score
Question on my Uk driving theory Test.
What colour coats do Deaf Guide dogs wear?
I thought all Guide dogs wore Bright Yellow Illuminus/Reflective in colour
I failed my practice theory because it was apparently Red/Burgandy
Is this the same in America?

Last edited:
Guide dogs for the blind.. The only experience I have with that is from college-- both the women who had guide dogs during my time there had brown harnesses. I think some others service dogs do have 'jackets' or 'coats'.... orange maybe- hearing ear dog I know of had an orange vest... that's what I was trying to think of- vest...

In America, Guide Dogs for the Blind usually wear a neutral-color mobility harness. Guide Dogs for the Deaf usually wear a bright orange or yellow vest. There are no official standards, though, as assistance animals in America are not required to wear any type of identifying gear. The colors are mostly for awareness of what kind of work they do.

I've had two guide dogs and they have a white harness.
I posted a query in introductions, asking for help training my dog to assist me. Nobody answered and I was unable to find a topic on assistant dogs. I guess there are not very many deaf/hard of hearing people who have assistant dogs? The search feature hasn’t worked very well for me on this site. Any ideas?

Question on my Uk driving theory Test.
What colour coats do Deaf Guide dogs wear?
I thought all Guide dogs wore Bright Yellow Illuminus/Reflective in colour
I failed my practice theory because it was apparently Red/Burgandy
Is this the same in America?
Please let me know about your experience with your guide dog. I have moderate hearing loss and so do not qualify for getting hearing assistance dog. So, I have obtained a dog I want to train myself. I could use some pointers. I am particularly concerned at night, when I remove my hearing aids. I have slept through fire alarms and other commotions outside my home that I need to pay attention to. So I got a great (but untrained) dog. So far she naturally calls attention to important things I’m not hearing in the day. But at night? She seems to sleep like a rock! I would like to hear about people’s experience with assistance dogs. I need to learn how to handle and train her.

In America, Guide Dogs for the Blind usually wear a neutral-color mobility harness. Guide Dogs for the Deaf usually wear a bright orange or yellow vest. There are no official standards, though, as assistance animals in America are not required to wear any type of identifying gear. The colors are mostly for awareness of what kind of work they do.
Please let me know about your experience with your dog. Is it trained by one of the non-profits? I don’t qualify for one of their dogs, since I am only moderately deaf. So, I am trying to train my own dog.

Please let me know about your experience with your dog. Is it trained by one of the non-profits? I don’t qualify for one of their dogs, since I am only moderately deaf. So, I am trying to train my own dog.
I have a service dog for mental disabilities and hearing loss. Training yourself can be hard. But working with a trainer is very helpful.

Sorry wrong account, that was my back up. Anyways if you have questions I can help the best I can.

I have a service dog for mental disabilities and hearing loss. Training yourself can be hard. But working with a trainer is very helpful.
Yes! I find it difficult, but have been unable to find a trainer who understands my needs. In fact I have found no one who has a clue, but they are very happy to say they can help, but they have no experience and still want pay.

Yes! I find it difficult, but have been unable to find a trainer who understands my needs. In fact I have found no one who has a clue, but they are very happy to say they can help, but they have no experience and still want pay.
100% understand this. I found my trainer by random chance. She is a small place that doesn't advertise her work with service dogs. But I am finding that not many other people know anything about task training. A lot of people I talked to get obedience training to advance and then task train themselves using YouTube.

Back