Guests breaking furniture

To be fair, you don't know that she, "broke" the chair, you only know that the chair broke while she was sitting on it. She didn't mistreat the chair.

If the chair is new, write to the manufacturer to see if they will give you a trade in or a discount.

Also, I think the chairs can take up to 300lbs. I'd check with the manufacturer.

Personally, I'm not sure I would want a chair that couldn't take 300 lbs.
We're assuming that the woman is honest about her weight; it could be even more than 300 lbs.

Shel didn't buy the chair new from a retailer, so it might not be covered.

We're assuming that the woman is honest about her weight; it could be even more than 300 lbs.

Shel didn't buy the chair new from a retailer, so it might not be covered.

I agree, the woman might have been more over weight than she stated.
However, the chair could have also been defective. I don't weigh anywhere near that, but I've had hydraulic chairs break on me. My point is, while it does create a touchy issue, it's not certain that she broke the chair. I'm sure it must have hurt her feelings.

And, if there was a recall, it can only work to the OP's advantage. It could work into a new chair. You never know.

To be fair, you don't know that she, "broke" the chair, you only know that the chair broke while she was sitting on it. She didn't mistreat the chair.

If the chair is new, write to the manufacturer to see if they will give you a trade in or a discount.

Also, I think the chairs can take up to 300lbs. I'd check with the manufacturer.

Personally, I'm not sure I would want a chair that couldn't take 300 lbs.

I got the chair for free from CL and that was 2 years ago. None of us in the house weighed close to 300 lbs.

I am just quoting what my husband told me. Before she came over, the chair was fine. After she left, the chair wasn't working anymore. Remember my husband is hearing...it is possible that he heard it.

I believe that I never stated that this guest gave me her weight number. It was based on my estimation. My husband is 240 lbs and she is twice as big as he is. They are both at about the same height.

And I do remmy Simmons with some very obese ladies...crying and all of that...Guessing it was good publicity....
What ever happened to Richard Simmons?

I think he is still around.

However, the chair could have also been defective. I don't weigh anywhere near that, but I've had hydraulic chairs break on me. My point is, while it does create a touchy issue, it's not certain that she broke the chair. I'm sure it must have hurt her feelings.

And, if there was a recall, it can only work to the OP's advantage. It could work into a new chair. You never know.

Who knows...I got it from CL. I am cheap.

The point of this thread is I wanted everyone's advice on what was the right thing to do for future preparation on guests breaking furniture.

I've been to her house and I've sat on it and I can assure you that it wasn't defective. Her husband is a large guy but it worked just fine till the guest sat on it.

The guest was a heavy woman. A heavy woman sat on it and a poor old tired chair couldn't support her weight any more. kaput.

and you're not gonna want a chair that can support 300+ lbs because that would be a very large XXXL chair. I don't think I would like to sit on XXXL chair.

And I do remmy Simmons with some very obese ladies...crying and all of that...Guessing it was good publicity....
What ever happened to Richard Simmons?

richard-simmons.jpg

Richard is still kickin' at 64 years old and looking pretty much the same after all these years. White man fro and all…

Recently, my roommate started dating this lady who is over 300 lbs. She comes over almost every weekend which is not a problem. She is really nice and very respectful. However, she likes to sit on my office chair. I didn't think too much of it.

Yesterday, I was struggling to get my office chair to stay up so I could type on my computer. It would go up but as soon as I sat on it, it would go all the way down. I told my husband about it and he said that my roommate's girlfriend broke it the other day. geeez....we found it on Craigslist for free and it was brand new so it is not like we spent a lot of money on it.

So, last night I searched CL for another one but of course, I wouldn't have the same luck as I did so I just ordered a new one from Amazon.com for $55. Not bad and I hope it is comfortable.

However, the question is that I don't want her sitting on the new office chair for fear of her breaking it. Is it rude for me to ban guests to sit on my office chair? If they happen to sit on it and break it, is it rude to ask them to pay for it?

Thoughts?

oh my!

well looks like Reba's post pretty much covered it all. It's what I do exactly. a gracious guest graciously offers to cover it and I graciously turn it down (unless it's pretty expensive). and if there is something that I don't want a guest to do such as sitting down on my favorite chair or using my favorite coffee mug, then I inform them of a few house rules especially when they sleep over.

and if there is something that I don't like.... I inform them about it.

in your case - you should talk to your roomie about it but I see that you've already done that and all is well :thumb:

Shel...ur hubby weighs 240...and the lady is the same highth but weighs "twice as much".....??....Then she must weigh over 300 lbs....:shock:....*no wonder ur hubby didn't say anything to her about it*....:lol:

That's a verrrrrry big lady!....

I had an inexpensive one give out quite a number of years ago with no one of that size ever using it. I think time also gets to them eventually. So who knows which it actually was.

Who knows...I got it from CL. I am cheap.

The point of this thread is I wanted everyone's advice on what was the right thing to do for future preparation on guests breaking furniture.

Trying to spot good quality equipment for less is not being cheap, it's being smart.

The right thing to do, in my opinion, is to find the cause instead of using speculation. She may have broken the chair, but the chair cost nothing and I'm guessing the friendship is worth a lot more.

Let it go...

Back