Grieving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do understand how some of you feel about marrying after the exhusband or exwife death.. My great grandpa which was a Nazi solider in Germany during WW2 died during the war by Russians and my great grandma reject most of her memories about him and left everything to my grandma, also married to another great grandpa. I don't really understand why she would ever reject her memories about her exhusband...

I find it hard to talk about as no one will understand what I went through it.

My father got married SIX WEEKS after my Mother's death!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you're right, I wouldn't understand how it feels as I haven't experiences it, I can only imagine how you felt. How old were you when your father remarried after 6 weeks?

Last edited:

I understand how you feel...my Grandpa got remarried about same amount of time right after Grandma died. I never forgave him for that...

And my Dad got remarried within a year after my mom passed away...which makes me wonder if he did really have affair while Mom was sick with Cancer...

But I do understand how you feel...it's upsetting, isn't it?

Aww, Did you have any chance to sit down with your father alone and expressed how you felt about him remarried after your mother's death? I heard it is good to express your feelings instead of holding it in. I learned that from high school after a friend of mine committed suicide, we were completely unaware that there was a problem even through some of us did noticed signs or symptoms of depression but we chose to ignore it instead and it was too late. :(

I’m sure many know of the stages of grief Jillio mentioned. A set of five were observed by psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross in her work with dying patients and their families.

As some here noted, any loss can leave a wake of grief, so Kübler-Ross’s model may be used to work through any level of grief: Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

Based on the grief cycle model first published in On Death and Dying, Elisabeth Kübler-Ross (1969). Interpretation by Alan Chapman (2006):

1-- Denial is a conscious or unconscious refusal to accept facts, information, reality, etc., relating to the situation concerned. It's a defence mechanism and perfectly natural. Some people can become locked in this stage when dealing with a traumatic change that can be ignored. Death of course is not particularly easy to avoid or evade indefinitely.

2 -- Anger can manifest in different ways. People dealing with emotional upset can be angry with themselves, and/or with others, especially those close to them. Knowing this helps keep detached and non-judgemental when experiencing the anger of someone who is very upset.

3 -- Bargaining: Traditionally the bargaining stage for people facing death can involve attempting to bargain with whatever God the person believes in. People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek to negotiate a compromise. For example "Can we still be friends?" when facing a break-up. Bargaining rarely provides a sustainable solution, especially if it's a matter of life or death.

4 -- Depression, also referred to as preparatory grieving. In a way it's the dress rehearsal or the practice run for the 'aftermath' although this stage means different things depending on whom it involves. It's a sort of acceptance with emotional attachment. It's natural to feel sadness and regret, fear, uncertainty, etc. It shows that the person has at least begun to accept the reality.

5 -- Acceptance: Again this stage definitely varies according to the person's situation, although broadly it is an indication that there is some emotional detachment and objectivity. People dying can enter this stage a long time before the people they leave behind, who must necessarily pass through their own individual stages of dealing with the grief.

Thank you Chasie for posting this.

Oceanbluesyie. it is nice to hear about your friend's faith in God and I'm sorry to hear that she lost her battle with cancer, at least she realized she wasn't fighting this alone knowing she has God watching over her and her friends as well too.

Thanks for sharing your story sames for everyone else in this thread.

smile thanks angel
we do grief in different way of course smile

i lost 3 relatives last year my mom's male cousin died last march it will be 1st anniversary soon then i lost my cousin in may which is 2 months after her uncle (my mom's cousin) 2 months after my cousin my great aunt died in july
2007 was bad year for me and also weird year

i grieved for my cousin by acting like zombie

I have short time grievance my relatives death. Reason I understand just their aging as normal life short. My heart knew best for them better place with Jesus' hand. Than heavy bawl and upsetting grieving longer.. isn't good health.
Best for short grievance and accept move on.. only the way.

If young life short, I would be more than different like more than grievance. Yes might be.
I have not be there before.. epically my friend who passed away and accept move on because just happened tragedy. Not even say good bye! That very hard!
Just broke little tears. Must remember good or bad times will be there and talk about the person.. Will not forget. The person's death doesn't want you dropping heavy cry reason want you move on and accept think about good or bad times.
That's all.

I still not understand why lot people who wear BLACK clothes for funeral.. Doesn't make sense.. (scratching my head) Black Clothes suit for funeral only as their grievance?

Dealing with grief is a process. There are several steps to complete before one has completely deal with their grief. Sometimes people get "stuck" on one step or another and stay there for a long period of time. Sometimes, they will take a step or two backwards. Everyone works through it in their own time. Effectively dealing with grief doesn't mean that we no longer miss or think about what we have lost, but that we accept that is the way it is and don't allow the loss direct our lives. Even after completing the grief process, it is natural and normal to still feel sad from time to time.

Good posting!

I know what is like to grieve the loss of a family members such as my great grandmother, grandfather on my dad side, just lost my grandfather on my mom side last year. I know what it like to grive to friends who killed themselves too. Other died due to health problems. I don't think we ever get over losing someone. Pain will stay for a while, but the memories will always stay with me.

that is true... grieving is hard to overcome. I would know as I lost my dad to AIDS in 1987. No one will come here to play with us cuz we have AIDS but its not true? back then people were afraid that it is contigaous. so I didnt do well during Freshmen year. I almost failed and wasnt on Honor Roll. I was in depression that year. So i was put in therapy and I got to the point where I understand the pains and etc. I got better....

then losing my cousin Crystal so suddenly in a freak accident in 1993. It was hard for me as I didnt expect her to leave as she was only 20? I still cry for her and wished that she is back here. I still missed her. :cry:

And not to forget that I am still grieving for my twin infant sons in 1995 and my infant daughter in 2002. I have been in depression ever since as I didnt understand why they were taken away when they should be a miracle? No one understand me and how I went thru this. :( They said MOVE on.. but Its hard to... i just want to understand why?? but i cant find it...sighs....

I even grieve losing custody of TJ.. I felt it was not fair.. I got tied and I cant raise my own son? and my sons father have 2 other kids.. why cant he let me have TJ to raise? This is not right... this is not fair.... :cry:

Losing my pets and still grieve for them ... they were like my babies.. sighs.. as time go by.. i get better and know they are in a better place.. :)

I was hoping someone would put this up and you did! Thank you! I'm sure everyone goes thru those stages. I know I did. I went from 1, 2, 3 4 then right back up to 1. I kept repeating that cycle til a few weeks ago, I finally accepted it.

thanks for sharing that with us, chase. ;)

It is not unusual at all to revisit the stages, nor to work through them out of sequence. Glad to hear that you have arrived at acceptance.

Coping With Change After the Death of Someone You Love

Coping With Change After the Death of Someone You Love

The death of a loved one creates many changes for surviving family members. Changes range from the practical, such as changes in household routines, to the more philosophical, such as changes in priorities or plans for the future. Grieving may take months to years, as does adapting and reacting to new life situations.

Types of changes

Routines change. Most people have a daily routine that structures their time and offers a sense of consistency. For families taking care of a loved one with cancer, much of this daily routine centers on hospital visits or caregiving tasks. When the loved one dies, this familiar routine abruptly ends. It is normal for family members to feel lost when someone close dies, and it takes time to develop a new routine that feels familiar and comfortable.

Responsibilities change. In most families, each person is responsible for certain tasks. One person may do yard work and cooking, while another pays bills or does the laundry. When a spouse or family member dies, these jobs become the responsibility of surviving family members. Some tasks, such as doing the taxes or certain household chores, may be completely new. Having to learn a new skill can be stressful. If the deceased person was ill for a long time, family members who acted as caregivers may experience a feeling of emptiness now that their responsibility of caring for that person has ended. In fact, they may be flooded by emotions that they kept hidden during those final busy months of active caregiving.

Employment and finances change. If the deceased family member was a primary wage earner, other family members may need to work more hours, go back to work after an absence, or go to work for the first time. For a parent with young children, this may mean arranging for daycare and having less time to spend at home. The death of a family member may also mean a change in the family's finances. Changes may include one fewer paycheck, a change in social security benefits, or payment from a life insurance policy.

Faith and spirituality change. It is normal to question religious or spiritual beliefs, or your understanding of the meaning of life, following the death of someone you love. This is particularly true if the death seems especially untimely or unfair, such as when a child or a young spouse dies. Assumptions about the world and how things should be may not fit with the reality of death. While some may question their faith or religious beliefs, others find that their faith becomes stronger and a source of comfort.

Priorities and goals change. You may find that your priorities change to reflect what matters most to you now. Previous priorities such as work may be replaced by new priorities such as spending more time with family and friends, or focusing on your own health. It may also be necessary to change priorities for practical reasons. For instance, if you have just become the family's primary wage earner, finding a good job and focusing on your career might need to become a high priority. The death of a loved one can also change goals and hopes. Plans for early retirement, traveling, or even additional children may need to change as family members adjust to a new lifestyle.

Activities and interests change. You may find that you do not enjoy some activities as much as you used to, including activities you shared with your loved one. As your priorities and responsibilities change, you may also develop new interests. Some people become involved in activities that were important to the deceased, or spend time volunteering at a local hospital or a cancer advocacy organization.

Relationships change. It is normal to experience changes in the way you relate to family and friends, and in the way they relate to you. Some family or friends may distance themselves from you because they worry about not knowing what to say or how to act. Others may surprise you with dedicated support, and some relationships may become closer than ever. Because the death of a loved one causes other changes in your life, you may find that some of your relationships change because you no longer have the same interests, priorities, or goals you once had. Changes in your interests and activities may lead to new relationships and new friendships.

Coping with change Adjusting to any change can be stressful. The following are some strategies that can help you to better cope with the changes that follow a loved one's death:

Take time making major decisions. The year following the death of a loved one is a period of emotional turmoil. A decision that seems right during this period may not seem right a few months later. Mental health experts suggest waiting at least a year before making any major decisions, such as moving or changing jobs. Consider making a list of decisions and tasks and determining what has to be done immediately. Try to hold off on important decisions that can wait.

Share new responsibilities. It takes time for family members to negotiate new responsibilities and for the family to settle into a new routine. As a family, talk about what household jobs need to be done and who will be responsible for which tasks. Also talk about changes in the family routine. Talking about these changes is especially important for younger children who may be particularly upset by disruptions in their routine.

Ask for and accept help. Friends and family will want to help you but might not know what you need or how to ask. Be specific about your needs and have a list of tasks that people can do. If you are learning how to perform unfamiliar tasks such as car maintenance or cooking, ask someone to show you what to do, or consider taking a class.

Get help handling financial and legal matters. The many financial and legal tasks that follow a death can seem overwhelming, especially if you are not used to handling your own financial and legal affairs. If the deceased family member was ill for a long time, you may also have health insurance claims and medical bills to deal with. If possible, seek the advice of a legal or financial expert, such as a lawyer, accountant, or financial adviser. These services usually cost money, but can help you plan your legal and financial future and may help you save money in the long run.

Get advice before returning to work. If you are returning to work after a long absence, or going to work for the first time, you may consider talking to a career counselor. A career counselor can help you write a resume and perform a job search, as well as help you decide what career choices might suit you best. Many state and county governments offer free job training and career counseling services.

Consider keeping a journal. Keeping a journal or a diary can help you make sense of the changes you are experiencing. As well as writing about your feelings and thoughts, you can use your journal to help organize your tasks, priorities, and even future plans. Looking back through your journal over time can help you see how your priorities and goals have changed, as well as how your ability to cope has improved.

Consider joining a support group. Support groups offer you the chance to talk with others who share your feelings and experiences. Other people who have lost a loved one to cancer have likely experienced many of the same changes as you and can offer you both emotional support and practical advice as you adjust to these changes.

Remember the positive. Reorganizing your priorities, developing new interests, and learning new skills can bring some fresh and new things into your life. Allow yourself to feel proud of new accomplishments and remember that it is not disloyal to your loved one to enjoy new activities or set new goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back