Greetings from Australia!

Damn a midnight conversation here....

Sydney eh? ( am moving up to Sydney later this year hopefully) and you should look at the resources of auslan at www.auslan.org.au

Sound like a Wannabe. :roll:

Wouldn't a wanna be say the opposite? And i didn't have hearing issues until I was in hs. But I have always had ear problems. And my audiologist said that I was but I don't consider myself as such.. So please don't call me a wannabe because I think it is rude toward the deaf/hoh community for someone to portray as one... Thank you

Wouldn't a wanna be say the opposite? And i didn't have hearing issues until I was in hs. But I have always had ear problems. And my audiologist said that I was but I don't consider myself as such.. So please don't call me a wannabe because I think it is rude toward the deaf/hoh community for someone to portray as one... Thank you

What you said was "Well, I'm technically hoh but I consider myself hearing" like as if you really want to be hearing instead of hard of hearing. But if you mention that you have less mild hearing loss, then you might be able to hear but not that perfect, I think. Every time any one have a hearing loss, it will not make you hear like normal hearing. Are you wearing hearing aid(s)?

I am very much into Deaf Culture and very much into Deaf Communities. I am ASL user. But what you are saying would put me into the expression like :roll:

Damn a midnight conversation here....

Sydney eh? ( am moving up to Sydney later this year hopefully) and you should look at the resources of auslan at www.auslan.org.au

Yep, I've used signbank but I rely more on the "Signs of Australia" dictionary and more importantly signs used by native signers that may be different.

What you said was "Well, I'm technically hoh but I consider myself hearing" like as if you really want to be hearing instead of hard of hearing. But if you mention that you have less mild hearing loss, then you might be able to hear but not that perfect, I think. Every time any one have a hearing loss, it will not make you hear like normal hearing. Are you wearing hearing aid(s)?

I am very much into Deaf Culture and very much into Deaf Communities. I am ASL user. But what you are saying would put me into the expression like :roll:

Well I think that it is good that you are well into the community. I don't wear hearing aids because i choose not too, my audiologist recommends that that I get them and my insurance covers them but I think I do fine without them (lipread and I can hear some of the sounds when they talk but not really enough to know what the person is saying {hard to explain}). I am sorry if I made myself sound like I wanted to be anything. It just I was raised outside the deaf community, without sign and my hearing didn't worsen until early hs, like I said.

Yep, I've used signbank but I rely more on the "Signs of Australia" dictionary and more importantly signs used by native signers that may be different.
The sign bank website has various of signs based on the location so yes, it depends and it depends on the individual

Hey all, I'm not sure how many people are from Australia, but i am from Sydney.

I had this account for long time but never use sadly. I am part of sydney deaf community, i remember how they had deaf social club in Burwood but now moved to Parramatta.

Now i am more involved in social group that support soccer and poker. But am look for new friends as i didnt grow with deaf people to be more in a way connect. I only joined maybe a few years ago (2008?) i grew up in hearing world, isolated as no support. But yea lucky i had found to be part of a big community all over the world.

Yet i am still in a way shy to make new friends, as my auslan is very rusty much like signed english which i know is not good. So hoping i can sign with others who are learning or have time so i can keep my auslan license in check :P Have always wanted to learn ASL and to understand it swiftly.

I had this account for long time but never use sadly. I am part of sydney deaf community, i remember how they had deaf social club in Burwood but now moved to Parramatta.

Now i am more involved in social group that support soccer and poker. But am look for new friends as i didnt grow with deaf people to be more in a way connect. I only joined maybe a few years ago (2008?) i grew up in hearing world, isolated as no support. But yea lucky i had found to be part of a big community all over the world.

Yet i am still in a way shy to make new friends, as my auslan is very rusty much like signed english which i know is not good. So hoping i can sign with others who are learning or have time so i can keep my auslan license in check :P Have always wanted to learn ASL and to understand it swiftly.

Hi, well I am american, i can help you out with some your Asl :)

I frequently visit Sydney (Im from Canberra) do I know you?

Only me the very active Australian here on AD.... there are handful of members from Australia on AD but they aren't active as I am.

And btw, I am fluent in ASL so can assist anyone who wants to learn :cool2:

Hey :) The Burwood social is still happening, I went a few weeks ago. I'm not sure about the social in Parramatta, but there are socials for students at Macqurie and Broadway. I'd be happy to sign with you, I'm from the west, you live where?

I'm a hearing person extremely fascinated with sign language and Deaf culture.
I started learning Auslan (Sign language of the Australian Deaf community) because I wanted to be able to communicate with Deaf people and had a burning curiosity about sign language in general. Before I started learning early this year, I had never met a Deaf person in my entire life.

Being exposed to the Deaf community has given me a valuable insight into Deaf culture and how Deaf people live amongst a hearing majority. It's been an eye-opening experience for me and I hold it close to my heart.

Anyway, I look forward to making Deaf friends around the world and learning some different sign languages!

:wave:

I learned AUSLAN for around 10 years, both in Queensland and ACT. I am Australian Aboriginal who now lives in Finland. Finnish sign is very different to ASL or AUSLAN. Good luck and welcome :)

Sent from my GT-P5100 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back