Greetings from a hearing newbie!

Yamino

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :wave:

I'm a little shy to introduce myself here, since I am very very new to signing. I haven't taken any classes, because living in Brussels, Belgium I would probably only find Dutch or French sign classes. So I am self-teaching myself ASL from the books I have bought online.

I am really interested in learning languages. I'm Italian/American and I speak both languages fluently, although my English is better now since I haven't lived in Italy since I was 6 years old. I have also studied French, German, Spanish, and Japanese. Unlike Latin languages, which all have common roots and are easier to learn once you have already mastered one, nothing I had previously studied could prepare me for the challenge of ASL. It's a welcome challenge though, and I've been having a lot of fun learning signs!

Aside from my love of languages, I also become interested in learning ASL as research for a graphic novel/radio play I'm working on. The main character is a blind superheroine living in modern-day Amsterdam. Her best friend is her deaf cousin. I wanted to be able to portray both of them realistically- so along with doing extensive research on Dutch culture and real locations in Amsterdam, I'm also trying to learn more about deaf and blind culture.

There are many challenges I face in creating this comic, and one of them is how to show a blind and a deaf person conversing. I haven't been able to find any good references for it, so I'm not really sure how it works. I was hoping some people here could help me with that. (I'll probably be reposting this around, to make sure the right people see it. ;) )

I look forward to making some new friends here! =)

Hello and welcome aboard, Yamino! :wave:

Welcome.

Enjoy your time to reading lots of good threads here.

Happy Posting! :D

Thanks guys! (and girls) ;D

I've been spending most of the afternoon reading up on some old threads here. :D

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back