Grannies CI Diary

Just got home, for some reason everything that sounded soooo loud at the audies now seems to have dissappeared. Of course its set very soft so I will get it cranked up tomorrow. All I have heard today are very loud beeps and spikes of sound, the high frequencies that I have never hear before. But now it is so quiet, just as if nothing is working. I passed the inital tests with flying colors, 100% in in a couple of word length and sentence recognition tests so I am very happy with that.

Thanks for updating us Raykat. It sounds like you were started off on a very soft program to get you hearing sounds again. But your brain must have already adapted because now you can hardly hear anything. It's a sign that you need to be remapped already. Tomorrow's not long LOL!

Are the beeps occurring with speech? That's what happened with me and eventually they became voices.

It's interesting seeing all the different approaches that audiologists take.

Thanks for updating us Raykat. It sounds like you were started off on a very soft program to get you hearing sounds again. But your brain must have already adapted because now you can hardly hear anything. It's a sign that you need to be remapped already. Tomorrow's not long LOL!

Are the beeps occurring with speech? That's what happened with me and eventually they became voices.

When I was activated, a lot of sounds came out very beepy but not voices.

Oh yes, let us know about your next mapping Raykat.

Yes the beeps are the voices, when no one talks it goes quiet. I have never ever had the high frequencies so at first it was just like electric shocks in the brain. I could have probably had it louder today, the audie put 3 programs in, I was on 2 whilst there then put it up to 3 when I go home. At the moment I can hardly hear the computer keys tapping so will get it cranked well up tomorrow.

Have decided voice sound like parrots on crack!!!!!

Haha about parrot on crack. I wonder if you get weird feedback sound at end of word if female talk to you? I got that but it went away about 4 weeks I think.
Female voice definately are the weirdest sound I've ever heard haha. Especially my own voice omg lol.
Try turn it up to real kind of "loud" but not shock of noise like I thought it was loud but it wasn't just my shock to high frequency.
Just wait, keyboard typing's soo loud when turned way up lol
Remember to tell if you felt sound or if it hurt because its important to turn off specific electrodes if you felt it instead of hear it or its horrible sound even at lowest it can go or it hurt ok?

Morning after........still just a lot of beeps and whistles, only way I can describe it really. When I take processor off I get tinnitus, first time ever for me, lasts about half an hour. At this stage the 2 lines, red and green are quite close but today the audie will set them further apart.

Haha about parrot on crack. I wonder if you get weird feedback sound at end of word if female talk to you? I got that but it went away about 4 weeks I think.
Female voice definately are the weirdest sound I've ever heard haha. Especially my own voice omg lol.
Try turn it up to real kind of "loud" but not shock of noise like I thought it was loud but it wasn't just my shock to high frequency.
Just wait, keyboard typing's soo loud when turned way up lol
Remember to tell if you felt sound or if it hurt because its important to turn off specific electrodes if you felt it instead of hear it or its horrible sound even at lowest it can go or it hurt ok?

Yes I think thats how I would describe it, during the word tests if I said anything I had to wait a beat before I could hear the hearing therapists voice, almost like there is an echo at the end. Most people say it take 3 days to start sounding like proper sound, hope its not much longer than that.

Morning after........still just a lot of beeps and whistles, only way I can describe it really. When I take processor off I get tinnitus, first time ever for me, lasts about half an hour. At this stage the 2 lines, red and green are quite close but today the audie will set them further apart.

Yeah, the tinnitus is the brain's way of saying "what the ?!?" after being in quiet for so long because it has come to register the quiet as normal. As you adjust the tinnitus will likely go away.

The start is horrible isn't it? However, you are on a extremely crude map with the red and green line so close together and the sound quality will improve the further away they get from each other. Hang in there!

Yeah, the tinnitus is the brain's way of saying "what the ?!?" after being in quiet for so long because it has come to register the quiet as normal. As you adjust the tinnitus will likely go away.

The start is horrible isn't it? However, you are on a extremely crude map with the red and green line so close together and the sound quality will improve the further away they get from each other. Hang in there!
Yeah like alarm going off... eh... you can tell your brain to get over it and it will go away eventually hehe..

Second mapping.......lines further apart and 4 programs to chose from, lucky me. By the time I got home I had it up to the top program again, tho I can go louder with volume. Being home alone doesnt really give me much to work with sound wise, so went to the mall but that didnt help much either as no recognisable sound, just hope it kicks in soon.

Just heard the phone ringing, tho I could hear that before with h/a tho not as sharp.

Did more word and sentence tests and therapists was very pleased with results. Both audie and therapists say they have never had such an easy mapping, apparently some people take months of to and froing to get it right.

Another 6 days to wait now until next map, hopefully by then I will be hearing more than the beeps and whistles.....lol

Forgot this bit.........am interested to know how have others coped emotionaly. I was warned that many people go home in tears the first day as its not what they expect. All I did was laugh all the way there and back....does that make me weird or what??????

Audie videod the switchon and girlfriend took photos but not sure I will post them on here as I have my face screwed up and mouth wide open laughing.:giggle:

Forgot this bit.........am interested to know how have others coped emotionaly. I was warned that many people go home in tears the first day as its not what they expect. All I did was laugh all the way there and back....does that make me weird or what??????

Audie videod the switchon and girlfriend took photos but not sure I will post them on here as I have my face screwed up and mouth wide open laughing.:giggle:

LOL! You're like me then. I laughed as well because it sounded so terrible. I reckon the people who were told to expect how terrible it sounds will laugh and those who were expecting it sound like their hearing aid or better right away go home crying.

Happy things are working out. I was also told I would go home crying and the sounds would be terrible. I do love your parrot on crack comment. I have to remember that one.

I met my expectations the first moment, I hear my daughter from behind me saying mommy can hear and I love you. That was my goal, so everything else is extra.

what are you using for training?

RayKat, Im so glad your CI is working out for you. Yes, I kinda knew it would be an
emotional roller coaster. I wish you the very best! I'm only 3 days behind you!
Take care, Suzi

Happy things are working out. I was also told I would go home crying and the sounds would be terrible. I do love your parrot on crack comment. I have to remember that one.

I met my expectations the first moment, I hear my daughter from behind me saying mommy can hear and I love you. That was my goal, so everything else is extra.

what are you using for training?

Wow, fancy hearing your daughters voice right away, tho I should say understanding rather than hearing. I have always heard peoples voices behind me but never had enough clarity to catch the words. I still dont yet and with my level of hearing it may be a while off.

Another deaf mate called his initial sounds asthmatic ducks so theres another bit of down under silliness for your notebook. As you probably realise we are a bit mental in this part of the world:giggle:

RayKat, Im so glad your CI is working out for you. Yes, I kinda knew it would be an
emotional roller coaster. I wish you the very best! I'm only 3 days behind you!
Take care, Suzi

What date is your switchon? we are a day ahead of you here, 2nd of April already and I still havent recovered from christmas!!!!

Discovered last night that my doggy doorbell sounds like a chihuahua rather than the big rottwieller I thought it was. Better explain this, for years I had a a series of real four legged dogs who barked when someone was at the door, for some reason I always heard dog barks. So when I ended up living alone I got a door bell that can be set to dog bark, people always crack up when they ring it.

Anyway it has always sounded very deep to me until I heard it with CI, now it sounds like a soprano (not the TV version!) so I will have to learn to listen for it.

RayKat, Im leaving in the morning for Gainesville - 3 hour drive south and have to stay in motel overnight.

So glad you are adapting. Do tell us more!

RayKat, Im leaving in the morning for Gainesville - 3 hour drive south and have to stay in motel overnight.

So glad you are adapting. Do tell us more!

wow, three hours, I am only 20 minutes from my clinic and same from the hotpital where I had my op.

All the best for switchon Suzi but dont be dissappointed if it sounds like an underwater bubble, mine still does this morning, four days after switchon. But I do think it is becoming slightly clearer so hopefully by the weekend it will be nearer to normal.

Hugs to you love.

Another long day at CI clinic, more mapping and word recognition tests. I now have a program for "wild parties" after telling audie that I was totally stuffed over weekend with parties on sat and sun nights. Talk about sensory overload, especially as it involved telling the same switchon story over and over! Then some kind soul decided to play guitar and sing which was just too too much. In their innocence they expected me to get up and sing along with them, obviously never heard a deafie sing:giggle:

I still feel like I am underwater tho may have risen from 100 ft to 60ft, also still have the crack addled parrot living in my head but am assured time will fix that.

"Firsts" in the last week have been hearing the dog next door whilst inside my house with door shut, trying to figure out what was wrong with car only to find it was indicator beeper, and the constant rustle of paper when turning book pages.

Did extremely well with tests today, however that is in nice quiet room with a perfect speaking therapists, slightly diff out in the real world.

A month until next mapping tho I can go in if I need to.

LOL you'll have to go easy on those parties! Would that new program be autosensitivity perhaps?

Good to hear that you have come up 40ft toward the surface. It will improve and you are making good progress for 1 week in. The rustle of paper is really noticeable with a CI isn't it?

LOL you'll have to go easy on those parties! Would that new program be autosensitivity perhaps?

Good to hear that you have come up 40ft toward the surface. It will improve and you are making good progress for 1 week in. The rustle of paper is really noticeable with a CI isn't it?

Tried to reply last night but the gremlins were playing and closed me down!!!!
Must get new PC this year.

Yes the party program is autosensitive, volume goes up and sensivity goes down.

As I read a lot the turning of pages is something I have really notice. Also sound of pins dropping into pintin, as I sew for a living this is constant.

Still have what I call echos or vapour trails behind voices so have to wait a beat to see if someone has finished talking or there is more to come.

Back