GPS recommendations???

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
So we just bought a new car. The fully loaded model has a nice GPS in the dash and a backup camera. That is really the only things my car was missing. So we are going to have those installed and would like to know if any of you have done this and which model GPS you like or dislike.

The Nissan dealership does not install them so we need to find a good place that can do it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!!!

use your phone for navigation

I know but I want something pretty:giggle: My husband made me a deal that if I bought the car that was on sale that did not have the GPS and backup camera that he would add those for me. Makes my car look fancier.

Plus my birthday is coming up so these will make a good gift.

Just don't use Southpark voices in it. My sister had the voice of Eric Cartman in hers and he'd curse like a sailor when he told her where to turn :laugh2:

I use my phone for GPS (and my DAI cords)... I'm trying to remember the GPS dad uses (I think TomTom..?) but his is portable not one that is hardwired into the car itself.

Not much help as for many years I didn't really use the 'normal size' ones because I was never sure how well I'd hear them and if they had headphone jacks to use with my DAI cords.

8581-wife-or-gps-funny-cartoons-happy-birthday-card.jpg

Just don't use Southpark voices in it. My sister had the voice of Eric Cartman in hers and he'd curse like a sailor when he told her where to turn :laugh2:

I use my phone for GPS (and my DAI cords)... I'm trying to remember the GPS dad uses (I think TomTom..?) but his is portable not one that is hardwired into the car itself.

Not much help as for many years I didn't really use the 'normal size' ones because I was never sure how well I'd hear them and if they had headphone jacks to use with my DAI cords.

My car has a place for the GPS it's just this model did not have it. The first car I drove was fully loaded so it was hard to downgrade to a lesser car. It's not going to cost a lot of money and with the savings we got on the new car I want it done. It will definitely be nice to get the backup camera.

Don't depend toooo much on one of those. One time we used what a friends built in GPS suggested rather that what another friend had printed out from the internet. It took us down such back roads that I was surprised that some of it was even open! When we got to the meeting one of the people that lives there gave us a route that was better than either. The way we could have gone, and did go on the way home, was really good roads.

What I do wish I had that works well on hers is the backup camera. I am going to investigate adding one to my older, but in very good condition, car.

Last edited:

Ditto.

I use Google Maps.

It updates with traffic reports and re-routes if you change directions off the original route.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Don't depend toooo much on one of those. One time we used what a friends built in GPS suggested rather that what another friend had printed out from the internet. It took us down such back roads that I was surprised that some of it was even open! When we got to the meeting one of the people that lives there gave us a route that was better than either. The way we could have gone, and did go on the way home, was really good roads.

What I do wish I had that works well on hers is the backup camera. I am going to investigate adding one to my older, but in very good condition, car.

Some roads are not included in the route due to them being private or to avoid clogging a small town road.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Ditto.

I use Google Maps.

It updates with traffic reports and re-routes if you change directions off the original route.

:lol: good one

Some roads are not included in the route due to them being private or to avoid clogging a small town road.

This one sent us down some country lanes (if you even want to dignify them by calling them that) that weren't even paved and were muddy after rain. There are numbered paved routes between the two towns that it should have known about.

Most GPS navigators and phones have an option to not use dirt roads and toll roads, so you can disable them and it won't take you down obscure routes.

Ditto.

I use Google Maps.

As do I, but I rarely need to use it, since I know the area quite well. If I'm headed somewhere new, then yes, I would, but that rarely happens.

I used to have the kids' version of the Rand McNally road map. Those were fun.

I just want the one that goes with my car. I want it installed in dash, there is a special place for it and a backup camera. I probably don't need it BUT my hubby made a deal with me that if I didn't get the fully loaded car, he would have the GPS and backup camera installed for me.

It's my birthday next Friday so this will be a great gift.

I tried using Google Maps in Boston, after walking up and down a street, I pulled out the paper map I had printed and highlighted and found where i wanted to go with no problem.

Back